Forever Shingle

I once heard that it is possible to make a car tire that would last almost forever, but it would not be good for the industry! Too many people depend on the business!

Do you think they could make a shingle that could last forever (or close)?

It would mean alot less for work for everyone in the shingle industry and I wonder if this is why they leave things alone!

I havent heard of this for roofing products, but during my undergraduate degree at university, we had a guest speaker come in and he discussed a similar situation that related to the health field. He mentioned that it is very possibly that many diseases and conditions have had cures developed but people refuse to go public with them as the amount of jobs that would be lost would be devastating.

Its sort of weird to think about it way, one of his examples was that cancer is a 7 billion dollar per year industry employing about in excess of 6 million people, so if a cure was found this would all be lost.

He had no facts to support any of this claims he was just throwing ideas at us, and how it would affect the economy.

Another example was the Electric Car in California.

So it is possible to make a shingle that would last forever… probably but I wouldnt be selling it haha I like making money for years to come.

I think it could be done for sure.

Nothing is forever in my opinion. Cure for cancer, diff. sickness would take its place, make a car run on water, oil companies would but all rights to water (just an example)lol.
A forever shingle could be considered a slate roof. The new tru slate from GAF/Elk claims it can last upwards around 100 - 150 years now thats forever in my life time. No matter what human technology brings mother nature will break it down over time! Things can be made to last a hell of alot longer but like other ppl have said, it would take business and money away, double edged sword.

A natural slate roof “exept the soft Pennsylvania slate” is your forever roof. the nails will wear out before a quality grade of slate will. The GAF one is however a scam and not the same thing. It has no headlap at all and releys on a strip of synthetic felt for water tightness. It is Fuk&*g Crap !! and is an insult to all real slaters and people with common sence.

I take it your a slate guy. Its not relied upon synthetic felt. Mostly relys on the 12 inch plastic strip that over laps the slate. This material is made from the same stuff that lines our garbage dumps. Its made to last a very long time. The GAF tru slate hasnt been around long enough to even make an assumption that it sucks. But either way I think slate is for chumps that have to much money to spend. The metro steel shingle is the future (or any other steel shingle). It will be more affordable down the road and it will wipe out asphalt shingles, maybe not soon but it will happen. The stone coated steel shingles will be more affordable, they are light weight, recycleable when they need to be replaced,very easy to fix and some insurance co give discount for having them put on. They also have many diff styles and will take on more looks at some point.

Slate is for chumps huh? That seems like a really dumb thing to say.

[quote=“shangle nailer”]

Slate is for chumps huh? That seems like a really dumb thing to say.[/quote]

IT IS!!

I will bet that the GAF slate product will be off the market within a year or two when they start to have problems with wind driven rain from lack of a headlap.
Steel shingles are garbage and will rust around here. They also look pretty cheezy for the most part.

Oh man shit is getting deep in here. How do they look cheezy? So you are telling me tile roofs and asphalt roofs look cheezy! These steel shingles look exactly like these types of roofs! The one that resembles shakes is alittle off though. The steel shingle may rust over time but every other product on the market has problems, asphalt/tar breaks down fast, slate has to many problems to type, wood shakes will rot. Im not seeing why you feel the steel shingles (not steel panels or standing seem) are junk and why these other roof products are better? Maybe your scared of change or your so not familiar with them that all you can say is the are junk. They are the future for sooo many reasons. Maybe not in 5 or 10 yrs but these will rock the market. Learn em and master them. As for GAF product, I could care less if they fold because of problems, I was simply stating that there are roofs out there that can last 100 plus years or as the title of this convo a FOREVER Roof. Then I got side tracked by stupid remarks about a great product.

Really ?? now your showing your ignorance for the roofing trade. Please list these “too many problems to name” with slate roofs. There are many slate roofs that last centuries not decades. you must be a sales rep for metal shingles and not a real roofer. LOL !!
OK I will give you a free lesson, the weak links on metal roofs is a lot of times poor flashing details “caulk or gasket tape rather than locked and solderd joints” also residential custumers hate hearing the rain, not to mention rust issues in urban or coastal envirments.a slate roof is no compasision to these products.

[quote=“RooferJ”]Really ?? now your showing your ignorance for the roofing trade. Please list these “too many problems to name” with slate roofs. There are many slate roofs that last centuries not decades. you must be a sales rep for metal shingles and not a real roofer. LOL !!
OK I will give you a free lesson, the weak links on metal roofs is a lot of times poor flashing details “caulk or gasket tape rather than locked and solderd joints” also residential custumers hate hearing the rain, not to mention rust issues in urban or coastal envirments.a slate roof is no compasision to these products.[/quote]

I believe that a properly installed, properly maintained slate roof can last for 300 years. Will some slates break in that time?Yes. Will you have to re-point hips and ridges? Yes. But otherwise, assuming proper underlayment is used on low slopes and copper nails and flashing are used I don’t see what can fail. I am curious, what are these too many problems to type you see on slate roofs? the only problem I can think of is price! If you trying to find a “forever roof” for 300 bucks a square you are dreaming!

The slate roofs in Europe there like centurys old…i would have to say theres your proof!!

Well my first mistake was saying slate was for chumps. I admit that it was very stupid to say and I didnt mean it, I dont like to be made a fool, I was simply stating something with using the GAF as a example, not saying the product was great or anything. Problems with slate, I agree with you guys there are not many and again I shouldnt have said that. I am a true roofer never a salesman. I can sell any roof product when needed and I also can apply any product, many salesmen cannot. Around my area we cannot hear the rain on these roof nor have I ever had complaints in that department. The problems u list, other than the rain noise, are common on any roof. Things break down, its just how it is and how it always will be. Sorry for insulting anyone with my stupid comments, I love the roofing trade, thats why I have been doing it so long. Ignorant on the other hand I am NOT. Sorry it came off that way.
kage, you said you heard of slate roofs in europe last 300 yrs, well there you go, the forever roof, this is what I was trying to say in the first place, rooferj just set me off for some unknown reason, bad day I guess, sorry again and I wont let my ignorance (lol) get the best of me again.

The Metro products do seem like a very good product. The system does perform as far as energy consumption and insurance premium rates are concerned. I have done alot of research on this product as i have recieved a few inquiries about it. But people are really taken back by the cost right now. at 375.00 a square just in material including accessories in my area, the savings doesnt really add up right now. Only one had been installed in my area and the installers did a shotty job. So its also hard to give a customer a reference. And even though i would have a the Metro install rep come for two days to help install, i think its hard to convince a home owner to “let me experiment” on their house. I have installed some synthetics when i worked for two other companies though. They look ok but Tamko’s version i noticed on a house here is already fading after three years. Dont know how Vande Raleigh’s is doing. At one company i worked for, we used a underlayment made from recylcled tires called Ducks Back for all tile underlayment. Before that we used what is called 90# or Nail Fast

Yes we also used copper for, valleys and flashings for concrete ( galv nails) and copper for valleys flashings and fastenrs for slate.

No Problem Bro ! That pesky RooferJ is a sarcastic wise ass I know :o . its just the Bostonian in me.
those of us that love the roofing trade can be passionate in our opinions for sure. Its a good thing though if we can all exchange info and learn from each other. and also maybee a little sarcastic fun )

rooferj,
Yeah I was having a bad day, Im the one that is usualy sarcastic lol! I look forward to reading stuff on the forum and love to give any info I can, so I wont ruin it.
As for the cost of metro, I agree they are expensive and a tough sell, thats why I said the future. they will take sometime to come down in price, but if asphalt keeps going up at the rate they have been then steel will look much more appealing to ppl. How I learned the installation of these, I put the word out to fellow roofing companies that my company would give a very reasonable price on labor, for my crew, if they would let us help them on there metro steel jobs. It took awhile but couple actually called me for help, this is how my co got started on them.

they allready made a shingle like that.
fiberglass in the 70s.
back in the day you had to roof every ten yrs,
with asphalt shingles.
now you can go 30 40 yrs.

the industry wont make that mistake again.

gweedo.