G-Tape has some competition!

The old company I worked for ran 130 guys 6 days a week and on the 7th if they wanted. (new construction) We did tons of work. “187.5 squares a day” was a very slow day for us.
Currently running 3- 15 man crews. Will add more in spring as necessary. I don’t send less than a 10 man crew to a job. One day completion on most houses and even do 2 houses per day on a 30 square 1 layer 4/12 when daylight permits. Average jobs go 35-45 squares. Doing only 3-5 a week right now as it is slooooowwwww. I have signed and sealed multiple jobs in a day several times. Sales is an art form. If you are good and your company is good - it can be done. Take classes, go to seminars, and years of practice to become a good sales guy. They say sales guys are born - not made. It took me a little to get with the program but now it is all second nature. Good sales guys can be made if someone has the drive and willingness to learn. Without good sales guys, one has to work so much harder. We work primarily with GAF & Certainteed. Both have great learning tools and seminars.

More of my rough math in my head puts about a half a million dollars a year in your pocket. Again, I’m not ignorant, many, many people make that in America in a year, but thats some serious dough. Can I follow you around like a dog and find out what I’m doing wrong? :smiley:

Sounds like things are a bit different in Lynn, MA then they are in Michigan. Anytime you want advice or help, just ask. If I can help you in any form or fashion just ask. Doesn’t mean I am any type of rockstar but I do know how to make money and be happy while I do it (and of course - legimate reported to IRS money). This didn’t happen overnight - I work hard - play hard - and make my $ but always looking for ways to make more $. - That is the american way. If your not happy at what you do - why do it ? I always say that to myself. 1/2 a million is a lot of money. To some it is a fortune, to others it is a norm and to others it is what they spend on a long weekend. We all have our idea of what makes us happy and what is a lot to each individual.

I dont need that much to make me happy. All i would need is enough to pay my current bills and a 52 game football season! Now that would rock!

So measuring twice is even faster than Gtape? Hooey.

S&G, you don’t have to put up any ladders, you can rip G-Tape when you can’t reach anymore. You can start and stop it as many times as you want. You don’t need to run it up the whole roof at a time.

Timothy, what is the names of the company you are talking about that is doing or did that much roofing in a year? I have been working in the area for more than 20 years and I don’t know anybody doing that much volume. let alone any subdiviions doing that many houses. Not Eastbrook, not Snip, not Pultee. I can’t think of any big developer around these parts that does or has done that much building all year long.

And, not calling you a liar or anything, but I don’t know anybody working 3-15 man crews in these parts. There isn’t that much work out there anymore. What is the name of your company? and where are you getting all these jobs?

My bad G-tape. For some reason I was thinking you were down river - south of Detroit. I looked Rockford up. Nowhere near Detroit. I see you are a northern suburb of Grand Rapids. So I guess I made an error. Sorry. And yes - companies around metro detorit are doing work but you are right - it is becoming less and less especially by the new construction sector. I heard that Grand Rapids was booming with work - a lot of new work and such. Can you comment since you are near. You would know the most recent status. I was in Grand Rapids earlier last year and there looked to be a lot of work.

I know there is aton of newconstruction oging on around here, too, b ut they go to the companies not paying comp, taxes, etc, and issuing 10-99’s to the employees. They only do this to lower the price, although it is illegal as all get out.

hey g-tape remember me?you should realize some roofers do it just as fast&clean w/a stanley tape—like ive said before -its the tape for those that cant-you still need the regular tape to mark 1st course exposure-i do admit its a n effective measure to keep the rookies,and roofers who do very little shingles straight-most professionals only mark every 4 courses anyway,its inexpensive to keep for the crews though i dont use it—i can`t believe this topic is on here :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey guys, this is America…always moving forward, trying not to go backwards. RevealTape has U.S. Patents as well as Canadian Patents issued as shown on the tapes. There are tapes for roofing as well as siding. If you use the tapes to make money for yourself, you will appreciate them. If you want to ridicule the tapes, they won’t help you a bit. RevealTape won’t stretch, won’t shrink or loose it’s print. It is made from a material similar to Tyvek and is available at your local roofing supply or call 1-800-622-4455 for a list of roofing supply yards. It’s available anywhere in the country. RevealTapes are 1" wide, 4" diameter roll, and has 200 feet of tape per roll. Retails for about $14.95/roll. Great price for a top quality, patented product that’s available at your local supply yard! www.revealtape.com

Quickly you can use it around skylights, chimneys, etc., one run on each side of the skylight (18 seconds to install them) and hold top of shingle to line on the RevealTape. Your shingle line will be right on when you reach the top of the skylight with no guess work or mistakes. PLUS, you can easily see the lines whether it is sunny or cloudy or even wet!! Always use caution and safety when on roofs!!!

Another money maker is to run a tape up each side of the rake edge (from first course to ridge) and strike a ‘reference line’ along the ridge parrallel with the ridge. Next, bring tapes down the roof from the ridge ‘reference line’ to get fast, accurate marks in valleys or to start second crew on the same side of the roof. Some companies use the tapes everywhere and have had three crews on one side of the roof. Like I said, you have to try the tapes to appreciate their value. Who can mark 5-5/8" up the roof using some dimensional shingles? I’ll bet the roofer adjusts the reveal to accommadate the measurements he can figure out. Any comments on this?

And lastly, the RevealTape can be used on the ridge caps also. Remember, the RevealTapes are available with different reveals either for siding or roofing. It’s a great tool for the roofer. Hey, see it for yourself at the International Roofers Show in Las Vegas early March booth 2645. :wink:

Roofman Jack, I think they are just made because their shingles are crooked!!!

are you my competition?

G-Tape,
It’s a big world out there! Let’s get the word out and ‘Sell Like Hell!’ What do say? The way I see it, we won’t be able to keep up with demand once the word gets out. Look at Microsoft and Apple. Like I said, it’s a BIG world!!!

Pleased to meet you Roofman Jack, I totally agree!!!

Give me a call sometime.

my shingles are straighter than you can hope for,you have seen my work before g-tape,i can see why you suck at sales,insulting people is not the way to sell someone something–especially when they are craftsman-youd be better off talking about the pros to your product ,oh and roofman jack,what shingles are you using that are perfect every time,the manufacturer notes dimensional tolerances w/in 1/ 4",what happens when you have the smaller ones?by installing shingles and removing 1/4" from combined measurements for exposure of 4 courses,actually gives your nails that much more protection fom the weather versus the opposite---now i know who the original inventor of the tapes is (not a copycat)and is still in business and i could drop the web address here if i wanted --if thats what you`d like,let me know :wink: -been snapping accurate lines for 29 years w/a stanley tape-trg

RG, why you hatin? You know I’m the best salesman in Michigan!!

I’m not insulting anybody, at least where I’m coming from. I’m a lover, not an insulter.

As for the “original inventor”??? I think you’d be suprised. Thats all I’m saying. :wink: and thats all I’m going to say about it.

Hi,

Used Thor tapes before G-tape.

Roofman, I will see you in Vegas. I have talked to you several times. Always a pleasure to talk to someone who is enthused about their product. The last time was at Foxwoods. I talk about and show installations of Smart Vent over at the Roofers Coffee Shop. I need to hear about the winter flow of air again.

A man with a tape measure and a pencil can be just as accurate…that is not being disputed…it just isnt faster. You can argue about this til the sun explodes, but it aint gonna change.

aaron, don’t forget, the guy with a tape and a pencil can make a mistake. The guy with G-Tape …or…Reveal tape can’t.

Plus try having a guy measure backwards down a valley with a tape and pencil, then using the G-Tape …or…Reveal tape. MUCH faster with the shingle tapes!!! and no mistakes!

NEXT SUBJECT OR THREAD PLEASE !! OVERKILLED !!!

Tim, I was happy to let it go down the list, but you just brought it back up,and that tells me people want to hear about it.

Do you guys have any idea how many calls I have recieved from an owner or foreman telling me that G-Tape saved one of their guys from falling off the roof? They were backing up or walking across the roof, not looking where they were going and the only thing that saved them was the neon color of the G-Tape catching their eye and making them stop! :shock:

thats something a measuring tape and a pencil can’t do !!! :mrgreen: