GAF certification program?

Is it true that if say I am GAF certified GAF will stand behind the installation and cover the labor and materials to make any necessary repairs, since I’m GAF certified?

ummmm…well…are you GAF “authorized” or “master elite”?

GAF System Plus warranties are the bomb. Labor and material coverage for 12 years by GAF when installed by a GAF master elite.
If you are authorized… your second to us master elites. maybe someday you will become master elite.

Shingle Certs are a joke and easy to get. They are good selling tools because you can offer better warrantys than someone that doesn’t have it. The warranty doesn’t nets more money up here but it does sometimes sell the job.

Even if you are a certified installer and your roof goes bad…the GAF inspectors will tear it apart looking for any tiny thing so they can point the finger at you, lol.

It’s just a selling tool.

Hey Tim I think you meant Golden pledge not systyms plus.

I need a GAF cert so I can warranty a roof. What are the requirements? :?: How quick is the process of acquiring the certification?

Contact your GAF rep. Master Elite generally is more difficult to get but I think they have lowered the bar recently on it. authorised installer is just about $.

RooferJ
GAF # ME-00058

[quote=“RooferJ”]Contact your GAF rep. Master Elite generally is more difficult to get but I think they have lowered the bar recently on it. authorised installer is just about $.

RooferJ
GAF # ME-00058[/quote]

not totally about money my rep gives me territory rights. he wont authorize another co. in my town without my ok. they do check your DBA, liability, comp…etc. certainteed just pass a online test like my wife!! (haha)

marshall exteriors
GAF# AU-10939

Sounds like you have to be puttin down some squares.
I am solo but would like to warranty a roof. I heard they don’t even warranty residential. Some homeowners want single-ply. Is there a manufacturer that works with small companies and warranties single-ply systems?

The bar has been raised as of 7-13-07, you will soon see.

As to your question. If you are a Master Elite and sell a Golden Pledge Warranty, GAF-ELK will cover workmanship, material defects and the roof will be inspected by GAF-ELK. Starting coverage for workmanship and material defects is 15 years, this does go up depending on shingle selection. If you have questions consult with your Local GAF-ELK Territory Manager or visit www.gaf.com to learn more about the warranties.

Hope I answered your question, have a great weekend.

J

“I heard they don’t even warranty residential. Some homeowners want single-ply. Is there a manufacturer that works with small companies and warranties single-ply systems?”

I’m going to assume you’re talking about a low slope application membrane of some type…

To my knowledge, at this time, there is no manufacturer that will warranty a residential roof for Torch Applied Modified Bitumen or EPDM.

GAF and Certainteed both warranty their self adhesive membranes which are Liberty and Flintastic on residentials. Both systems are relatively new and I am still a bit skeptical about anything that is peel and stick but we are using them more and more. It’s a very easy system to put down and much easier to train someone in application as opposed to torch, which has a lot of tricks to it if you want to be a solid applicator. Not to mention there is no danger of fire, many houses in my area are a hundred years old or better and fire is always a cause for concern.

I was talking about PVC or TPO. I’m not too sure of the peel and stick systems either but if they carry a warranty that is good. I’d like to probe some seams of peel and stick that are 10 years old.

What should I tell a homeowner that wants PVC and a warranty to go with it?

I don’t think I’ll do a 15 year personal warranty for the materials.

Hi Sam,

Duro-Last will give you a residential material warranty. It is not the best material. For what you are doing it is a good company to work with.

I got my start in pvc with them. You order what you need for each job. Nothing more.

Edpm use a 60 mil with 6" seam tape. You can give a 10 year labor and material warranty. The edpm will not wear out. You only have to worry about your installation skills.

is there a secret handshake that you learn with a master elite badge? and, is a fez of some type also required?

Sorry to disapoint you roofboss but there is not.

GAF will stand behind the complete roof with labor and materials only with the Golden Pledge warranty. Your company has to be a Master Elite contractor to offer this. 13 years full coverage with 30 and 40 year shingles. With lifetime shingles they offer coverage for 18 years. The contractor has to offer there own workmanship warranty for the first 2 years then GAF picks it up. The contractors warranty supercedes the GAF warranty. It is my understanding from other Master Elite contractors around the country if there is a claim GAF will pick the roof apart and potentialy begin a finger pointing process. The post job inspection is 15 minutes compared to a claim Golden Pledge inspection that could last 2 or more hours involving at least 2 people. My company is a Master Elite company and this status is a complete joke to get. It is even easier than Certainteeds certification process. Yes, with GAF you have to meet with the rep to do the exam in the pro field guide but he gives you and your men the answers, and the whole process thke about 2 hours. Yes, my wife to is a Master Elite certified installer never being on a roof. With Certainteed you at least have to look in the book for the answers and you may learn something.

The GAF certification process is more geared toward money. The new criteria this year is 5 Golden pledge warranties and 60 system plus warranties or the equal to $4200. Add that with the $2500 a year enrollment fees and your looking at around $7000 a year. Yes they have sales and marketing tools but they are minor league or ok for the guy getting off the roof and learning to becoming a business man. Be careful advertising a manufactures certification because many of your competitors will and that tends to level the playing field in a homeowners eyes and price can become the only issue. In my experience only 1% of the homeowners I met with know what a GAF ,ELK of Certainteed certification status is let alone the certain levels. It can be a pain in the ass to sell it.

im up for all these regalations and requirments.
Were are in the construction bis so why dont we act like it.
A framer cant just get away with crap work so why should we.
This roofing industry has to grow up na d act more professional.
Im sick of crappy installer making the good roofers look bad.
Im all up for all safety requirments and inspections of all the sort.
Peace

well then i guess the masters get the same stuff that the non-masters do then?

well then i guess the masters get the same stuff that the non-masters do then?

Not really a M.E. can offer warranties through GAF that you can not. We get leads and support through GAF as well, It is only intended for the best installers in a given area. That said I am disappointed in the amout of contractors they have signed up in my state some of them are not very ethical.