Gaf elk 30 year

i normally use Pabco, but recently used gaf elk 30 year on a small lower roof on a two storey house. Anyhow, i was a little shocked at how thin and flimsy they felt compared to others.

Now i know there are alot of GAF/ELk lovers out there.(please dont be offended)

To me, they just seemed like junk. Not to mention the tiny sealing strip to.

any thoughts?

My only thought is that since GAF merged with ELK, I have not had one problem with them. Its been a long time since I touched a shingle from a different manufacturer that I cant really comment on if they are any more flimsy or not.

I think this year I might try some different brands just for the heck of it.

I concur Downunder also very granuly,sucks on a 6 or more pitch.

GAF/ELKs may be light, but they are strong. If you read their literature, you will know why they are light. Many other shingles use fillers for weight. GAF does not.

If you recall, organic shingles were really heavy, and we determined shingle quality by weight. It is a new ballgame now, and I use 95% GAF/ELKs. They are not junk over a 6 pitch whatsoever. OK, should I say, prove it.

[quote=“Gary”]GAF/ELKs may be light, but they are strong. If you read their literature, you will know why they are light. Many other shingles use fillers for weight. GAF does not.

If you recall, organic shingles were really heavy, and we determined shingle quality by weight. It is a new ballgame now, and I use 95% GAF/ELKs. They are not junk over a 6 pitch whatsoever. OK, should I say, prove it.[/quote]

I will say that they are tough over a 6 pitch cause those granules make the roof damn slippery. They are extremely lightweight, but Gary you are right, this says nothing about the quality of asphalt. I have found they lay down better than any other shingle in the cold.

GAF/Elk is a good product. We sell lots and have had no problem.Our guys like using them and I like selling them.Local Rep is not easy to deal with,but if you ask some of the local suppliers,I am no picnic.

Personally I find Certainteed Landmark 30 lay nicer in the cold than the GAF Timberline 30. And the GAF tar seam that holds the top sheet to the bottom sheet is a bugger to cut through in the cold. But this only makes it a good shingle for the roof. My biggest peeve about GAF/Elk is the paper bundle wrapper, so damned big and bulky to do anything with on the roof. The plastic wrappers I can just shove in the pallet.
I also agree that GAF (and more so Pabco) puke granules like crazy.
But I would have no problems putting GAF Timberline 30 on my roof.

I’m not saying Gaf is chit but they do puke the granules and they suck on a 6 or more pitch,i’ve done over a 100 roofs with Pabco and never had a problem with granules,and the paper wrappers do suck.

i like the gaf/elk a lot. is is the most stocked shingle around here in CT

cheers for replys, was just wondering cause the only diff between a 30 and 50 year shingle is the weight. each to there own i guess, kage, looks like its just you and me bud :mrgreen:

Too wimpy, too small of a nail line.
Too wimpy of a nailing platform.
Too many granules, not enough true roofing substance.

Many of their colors are nice looking though.
And their warranty out-fools the customer better than everybodys.

well there better than owens corning. i stoped usin o.c. because of the solid sealant strip and putting some kind of smooth strip on the topside so they stick emidiately and u cant get them apart to tyin
or lift to bull. and i like to go around everything and come back to tyin an bull later.

just real knuckleheads makin those shingles.

elks are all i lay now.

as far as 50 yr shingles go. we dont lay them here.
they dont last as long as the 30 yr. they crack and become very brittle.

ive torn off alot more 50 yr roofs then i have 30.

gweedo.