GAF/Elk vs. CertainTeed

I have received several estimates to install a new roof. Some are GAF Timberline and others use CertainTeed Woodscape. I have one company that is certified to install both, but they gave me an estimate to install GAF. I asked them why they suggest GAF over CertainTeed and they said that they would install either brand at the same price. They feel that GAF offers a better product now that CertainTeed and their warranty is better. They even said Consumer Reports rated GAF better for their color shield technology. I’ve found a lot of posts on this site saying that CertainTeed is a better product. Can someone explain the differences in their warranty and extended warranty (Smart Choice Plus vs. CertainTeed SureStart 5 Star coverage)?

Thank you in advance for your help.

-Dave

I only know that the Systems plus Gaf/Elk warranty is materials and labor, 20 yrs non prorated,then prorated for the last 10 yrs.
Only a certified installer can offer it.And you must use a minimum of 3 of these products to qualify,Ice & water shield ,paper,shingles,cap,vent,starter shingles,and I use all for my jobs…since it costs more for quality products, I am not cheap…
Smart choice is 5 yrs then prorated after and does not cover labor.Any one qualifies…

CERTAINTEED STARND WARRANTY IS 5 YEARS SURE START . IF YOU MEET ALL THERE QUILFATONS FOR SLECT ROOFER. YOU CAN OFFER UP GRADE TO 5 STAR WHICH IS THERE HIGEST . SURE START WARRANTY MEANS NOT PRORATED FOR THE LENGTH OF TIME YOUR UNDER WARRANTY.3 STAR IS 9 YEARS 4 STAR IS 12 YEARS 5 STAR IS 15 YEARS FOR THE UP GRADE YOU HAVE TO INSTALL THE INTERGY ROOF SYSTEM. THE ROOFER WAS GIVEN SHINGLE APPLICATORS MANUAL . SHINGLE TECHOLOGY MANUAL TO STUDY AND USE FOR A REFENCE WHEN INSTALLING THERE SHINGLES THAY BUY YOURE BOOKS AND YOU TO SCHOOL.THEN YOU GET CERFITED .ON THE OTHER HAND GAF GAM TO MY SHOP AND SAID THAY WOULD CERFITED ME FOR I FORGOT THE EXCACT AMOUT BUT OVER 2000. NO SCHOOL NO BOOKS NOTHING. WE WENT WITH CERTAINTEED. AND TO ME THAY ARE THE BEST SHINGLE.

Cert. with me was based on interview with regional sales rep,and my Allied salesman, He asked me a list of qualifying questions, and marked all the answers,and they stopped 2 days later to inspect a job in progress as to how the shingles were nailed,and what products I was using. The cost was 70.00 per warranty up front cost,and I got minimum of 7 for 490.00 to get the ball rolling. If you want to be Master elite it is a n investment of 3500.00 to cover 50 warranties.
I got it for Closing tool and to justify products that I enjoy working with, If I am using 5 of 6 anyway, I may as well be able to use it as a sales tool…Which they sent me a big box of sales tools…(that to me was worth the money…)
Like I said before in another thread ,if you are found doing poor roofing bis. practice you are cut off and loose the up front cash…There are other requirements,such as x amount of guys on the payroll have to get cert. by a test,and it goes by warranties,and overall sales…
You can’t sell 1,000,000.00 a year with 2 employees cert.

Are your caps lock on by default?

http://www.21softs.com/emoticons/images/stick.gif

Hahaah Good one SES.

You will hear from different people about whats different products. Just like Chevy or Ford. I would tell you stay as far away from Certainteed as possible and go with GAF. I find the people who really hate GAF are the ones who have yet to try their products since they have merged with Elk. Here is the link to the warranties a certified GAF installer can offer.

gaf.com/General/GafMain.asp? … ARG%26Uid=

I dont know the one to certainteed nor do I care to look for it because I have never believed in the products they offer. (except roofers select)

I personally like the GAF/Elk warranty program better.

Systems Plus and then the Golden Pledge

Systems Plus can be given by any Authorized Contractor.

Consumer’s Choice Reports isnt the most accurate source. They never compare apples to apples in their testing. They have IKO rated higher than everyone in the recent edition…But its the “Crowne Slate” product compared to a completely different class of shingle.

please give me some reasons why to stay away from certainteed, im here to learn, i thought thay are the best. what is about them i should know. all my roofers and especly my comsters rally like them. but i havent tried gaf - elk. whats specal about them. i got my caps off. ill try to rember.

i lke GAF…but 6 of 1 half dozen of the other.

Certainteed is good,but the best?Its all a matter of opinion.I think their 30 yrs are too thin.I like Malarkeys,now their a real shingle,IMO

Hi,

Certainteed gives their contractors “cash” kickbacks on what they buy.

I have found GAF deals with my customers professionally. I have heard different about Certainteed. Do not know this for a fact.

others for sure offer incsntives also . i have never had any pooblems with any certainteed product so i cant say how thay deal with there cosmeters. but i belive 100% in my rep,

I’ve been installing shingles since 1982. It’s a simple question to answer. Both are good shingles.
Here is the way to get the answer.

Call GAF/Elk and ask for a warranty claim packet.
Call Certainteed and ask for a warranty claim packet.

You’ll have your answer in less than 2 minutes on the company you want manufacturing the shingles on your home.

Hint: It won’t be Certainteed, I assure you.

[quote=“rooferama”]I’ve been installing shingles since 1982. It’s a simple question to answer. Both are good shingles.

You’ll have your answer in less than 2 minutes on the company you want manufacturing the shingles on your home.

Hint: It won’t be Certainteed, I assure you.[/quote]

AGREED 100000000%!!!

[quote=“rooferama”]I’ve been installing shingles since 1982. It’s a simple question to answer. Both are good shingles.

Hint: It won’t be Certainteed, I assure you.[/quote]

That’s odd, I talk to a CT rep by three rings and have my questions answered asap.

I have laid a lot of shingles and put GAF/ELK at the very bottom of the list. As a matter of fact I’d go with Cambridge or Dynasty and feel good about it before GAF/ELK. Lots of blow offs with the Timberlines under the 70mph wind rating.

My first choice which goes on 96% of my roofs is Landmark.

IMO, CertainTeed offers the best looking shingles…lol

We only use CertainTeed unless HO specifically ask for something different…

i install both products all the time…i get gaf from abc materials and certinteed from erie materials…but one thing is true to both and that is thier warrenties are never held true …many homeowners have to press a civil suit and wait a couple of years to get it replaced(obviosly not ones ive installed)

Obviously you have never gotten defective material? Is that what you are saying?

defective materials…no…i keep an eye on what i install and have never had a call back yet…i am good at what i do and have been doin it for too long …buttt. theres that thing called life and family that must be supported!!

I think you’ll be happy with either manufacturers product and warranty.

The shingle companies’ marketing departments work hard to separate themselves from each other and to appear that shingles aren’t a commodity.

The fact is though, that the quality of your roof job will be determined by the roofer that does the work.

The difference between GAF and Certainteed as it pertains to the final product, your roof, is probably not even measurable. The difference between who does the work however is HUGE.