GAF Timberline Mission Brown Shingles Looking Gray?

My hubbs and I are building a home and picked GAF Timberline 30 shingles in Mission Brown after looking at a sample book and some photos our contractor provided. Today I hopped online and googled Mission Brown to try and find a photo to show a co-worker. What I found were a few forums where people had complained that once they ordered and put up the shingles that they looked very grey. So, I hopped on the GAF website and also googled images of “Mission Brown GAF” and found that allll of the shingles looked grey but there were also variations - some looked light gray and highly mottled and some looked uniformly dark (charcoal) gray.

Soooo has anyone else installed or used these shingles? Do they look gray? We’re about a day or a weekend away from starting the install on our house and I’m worried. From the photos I looked at I thought I was getting something more along what it looks like Barkwood or Shake would be (from the GAF website). Help!

Look at Certainteed Driftwood.

Well my concern is that the shingles are already ordered and onsite. I’m afraid our contractor won’t return them - of if he does it will push us back weeks. And I don’t think our contractor uses Certainteed. Only GAF.

What I’m hoping someone can tell me is if these Mission Brown shingles really do look gray?

If you are looking for a “brown” shingle, I don’t think that the mission brown is what you are looking for. I had a sample of it just a few days ago and it was not the brown color I was looking for. I thought that the sample looked more black or charcoal, than it did brown. If you already have the shingles on-site I don’t know how much luck you will have getting them returned.

Call your local ABC Lumber Company or Roofing Supply Group and ask for an address with mission brown. They will more than likely be able to give you an address where one is installed and you can go look for your self. Good luck.

[quote=“FlippyHolz”]Well my concern is that the shingles are already ordered and onsite. I’m afraid our contractor won’t return them - of if he does it will push us back weeks. And I don’t think our contractor uses Certainteed. Only GAF.

What I’m hoping someone can tell me is if these Mission Brown shingles really do look gray?[/quote]

We are a GAF master elite contractor. Never once in thousands of roofs has anyone selected Mission Brown (not sure why). Barkwood is a very nice color. Ask your contractor if a color change is ok. My supplier can make a swap in a matter of hours. Worst he can say is no.

1 Like

Mission brown have grayish tint, Barkwood are brown hint if red,and shake wood are tan with brown shading.Prestiques anyway. Depends too on type,Natural Shadow( less tinting effect) Timberline Prestique have more tint variation…Not that any of this matters now,but even the color charts say that colors will vary from samples.The best thing to do,(I usually try to)is to have your contractor show you a few full shingles before you $$$
All I use Gaf/Elk unless customer says other wise…

[quote=“jwoolfsroofing”]
All I use Gaf/Elk unless customer says other wise…[/quote]

jwoolf, what is your opinion between the natural shadow and the prestique ?

i like Prestique better

why?

I only use the Prestique. I ,and my customers like the radiant appearance that the Diamond shaped granules give in any light.Allot of color variations,and NEVER have blotchy looking patches,like many other brands.
I did a roof 2 yrs ago,and the H.O. was unable to afford an addition that was newer,an in the back of the house.It was just next to another portion that I replaced.1-1/2 yrs later she called to have the other roof done,and the shingles were different batch(obviously)but looked as if it was all done at the same time.
I got 2 more jobs from that one…Quality sells itself,I just make friends along the way!

Mission brown has always had a gray tint. It is between weatheredwood and barkwood. I haven’t installed any since the merger, but maybe it’s changed.

So there is no difference except for the upgraded coloring/shading??

do they make the natural shadows in the same plants as the prestiques?

anyone?

[quote=“FlippyHolz”]Well my concern is that the shingles are already ordered and onsite. I’m afraid our contractor won’t return them - of if he does it will push us back weeks. And I don’t think our contractor uses Certainteed. Only GAF.

What I’m hoping someone can tell me is if these Mission Brown shingles really do look gray?[/quote]

if ya have your doupts,go with a different color,i know here in Canada if customer wants a change its done…i mean your payin…not the contractor,its your house,your roof,your the one who has to look at it everyday,so do what ya gotta do to be SATISFIED!

Thanks everyone - I called and talked to our contractor who told me that our shingles do definitely have a brown cast with some grey in there. He compared it to a darker version of Weathered Wood. So here’s hopin! We’ll head out tonight to take a peek.

If your siding is a darker color, the shingles will look darker and vice versa.

At least thats what ive found.

Just did a new construction last week with Mission Brown. First thing the homeowner said to me was “that doesn’t look brown”

http://www.21softs.com/emoticons/images/yeahright.gif

[quote=“selfemployedslave”]Just did a new construction last week with Mission Brown. First thing the homeowner said to me was “that doesn’t look brown”

http://www.21softs.com/emoticons/images/yeahright.gif[/quote]

Did they ask to have it removed and redone?

No, its still on. I think it looks quite nice.

The shingle selection was done through the builder. I would assume they showed a sample board. I just show up and install whats there.

Well just went out and looked - the shingles are on, and while they have a slightly grey tinge (like Weathered Wood does) it is decidedly brown. So phew - I’m happy. I actually really like the color! :stuck_out_tongue:

Wonderful to hear! Are you happy with the cleanup, install, ect…?