GAF Timberline Ultra/Elk Prestique Plus/Certainteed Landmark

Hi,

I’m new here and confused about which shingles to choose. I live in Northern Nevada where we get winds up to 100 mph and we need a new roof on our house. I already installed GAF Timberline Ultra on my garage/workshop myself but I don’t have time to reroof my house - it’s over 50 squares.

Anyway, I’ve been getting bids and most of the local roofers recommend Elk or Certainteed. After reading some of the threads here it sounds like GAF Timberline isn’t well thought of.

I’m also considering Elk Prestique Plus but heard Elk was bought out by GAF and isn’t providing information about whether or not they’ll back Elk’s warranty, so I’m a little leary.

Then there’s Certainteed Landmark, which I’ve read are very good shingles.

My bids are as follows:

GAF Timberline Ultra $12,700
Elk Prestique Plus $13,503
Certainteed Landmark $14,300

Question: In your expert opinion, is the Elk and/or Certainteed worth the extra cost or should I save my money and stick with the GAF since they’re all 50 year shingles?

“Question: In your expert opinion, is the Elk and/or Certainteed worth the extra cost or should I save my money and stick with the GAF since they’re all 50 year shingles?”

GAF is Elk now, they are the same company. I’d go with the best warranty.

Yes, I know GAF owns Elk now but they still have different products/manufacturing.

Assuming GAF will back Elk’s warranty, all of my choices have the same warranty.

“Assuming GAF will back Elk’s warranty, all of my choices have the same warranty.”

I honestly don’t think there is that much difference in the way shingles are put together. Certainteed and GAF are both great companys, your choices are all 50yr shingles and according to you all the warrantys are the same. If all the above information is correct it comes down to what you think looks best.

they all should cost relativly the same. i havent really seen anyone say anything bad about GAF on this site. as a matter of fact i think most of us prefer GAF & CERTAINTEED (50/50 split). if it were my home id do GAF.

Hi,

I have installed GAF for 27 years. They are a good company to work with.

The prices you have mean little when buying a roof. The installer is what counts. The 3 brands you listed are reputable companys.

If I had GAF on my garage and a roofer was not going to match what I already had. I would not hire him, because he did not care what the job looked like.

If they tell you that GAF are junk. They are not being objective. They are not thinking about your property’s looks.

Thank you all for your responses.

Actually, I think I’m hooked up with a pretty good roofer and he’s not pushing me one way or another other than to tell me he’s not sure about the Elk warranty. Most of the pushing I got came from other roofers who didn’t want to use anything but Elk.

Anyway, I feel better now knowing GAF is a comparable product. Thanks again.

GAF before buying Elk has been the worlds largest manufacturer of roofing products for many years. Although I preffer Certaineed Landmarks, GAF Timberline is a good line of laminate shingles.

If I bid your house there is no qustion as to which shingle to use, the same as whats on your other buildings if they are still available. Most of my jobs every building on the property is done so they all match which is huge. If I send a home owner over to look at a roof it looks bad when there not all done the same.

Which Landmark is included in the bid of $14,xxx? There are a few Landmark lines and the prices here in MN range from $50 a square to $100 a square.
Landmark has a 30 year warranty
Landmark Plus a 40 year warrnanty
Landmark Premium a a lifetime warranty
Landmark TL a lifetime warranty.

The TL is one of the only triple laminate shingles on the market and includes a 110 wind rating and a 10 year sure start warranty which covers labor and materials. The Landmark TL Shenandoah is a very nice looking brown shingle. Have done two in this color, one in black and a Premium in Chestnut.

you are in hail country use the certainteed ultimate XL and get the insurance reduction w/ the extra hail protection from the added scrim layer–go to certainteed,com for more info

I’m not sure which Landmark I was quoted - only that it carries a 50 year/lifetime warranty, just like the GAF and Elk. The GAF ran me about $75 a square six months ago.

This really isn’t hail country. It’s only hailed once in the 12 years I’ve lived here and it was pretty small. Being from Colorado originally, I’m familiar with the damage hail can do and we don’t have much to worry about here.

Fire and wind are the biggest problems here and that’s why I started looking at Elk. According to Consumer Reports, GAF gets good marks in the impact category but Elk gets the highest marks for wind resistance.

Since I used GAF’s charcoal blend on the workshop/garage, I’ve been told the other brands would look the same but I don’t want to take any chances. In fact, my homeowner’s association will have a fit if the roofs on my property don’t look alike.

Thanks again for your input. 8)

man 12-14k to isntall 50 square. i’ve had 10 bids in atlanta for 57 squares isntallked and the mean price is 10k and i’m actually getting it down fwith a great roofer for $9600

Yep. I had a bit of sticker shock initially but I’ve had 5 bids now and they’re all in the same range, except for one guy who bid $19,700.

One guy bid about $1K less than the others but his bid included 15# felt instead of 30# and no ridge vent, which we apparently need since our 25 year shingles are failing after only 12 years.

Hi,

IKO shingles fail after 10 years. It is more likely the shingle then ventilation that caused them to fail.

[quote=“yadax340”]Yep. I had a bit of sticker shock initially but I’ve had 5 bids now and they’re all in the same range, except for one guy who bid $19,700.

One guy bid about $1K less than the others but his bid included 15# felt instead of 30# and no ridge vent, which we apparently need since our 25 year shingles are failing after only 12 years.[/quote]

I only use Certainteed Roofer Sellect 15 pound felt. Certainteed makes a 30 pound Roofer Sellect felt but when installing Landmarks the thicker paper is not really needed.

As a matter of fact felt paper is not required in every state. Last Summer drove up to Thunder Bay and watched as three roofers shingled in a 100sq+ building with three tab shigles and no felt paper or ice and water shield.

Owens Corning Duration and install six nails in lieu of the standard 4

Why are you answering a 6 year old question? Im sure the roof is installed by now! 8)