Gap in roof deck causing leak?

Have a leak coming through my roof and into the house. Did some investigating and took some pictures of the area where the leak is occurring both in the attic and on the roof where the problem is. From inside the attic, there is a gap in the wood of the roof deck where a couple roof planes meet. You can feel air moving through this area and can see the roof fabric. From the roof, there is a large amount of sealant right above this gap. The sealant is coming up and it seems this is restricting the water so it drains slowly from this spot. Seems like this slow leak and the gap in the roof surface are causing the leak. With the shingles and fabric there, the leak is small. The gap is over an inch wide at max and 10+ inches long; at least that can be seen.

Is my logic good that this would cause the leak? Also, is this kind of a gap in the roof deck acceptable? Seems to me like this would not be for a home built in 2003.

Pictures are at Flickr. Unfortunately this site will not allow me to post URL’s yet. Thinks my message is too spamy if I try. You can see them by going to Flickr and searching for Miraxian. Make sure to search for people and not photos.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mirax

Send me your pix.I will post them for you.Don’t send more than 6 pix.When you send them try to send them 50% of their actually size.

If you don’t understand how to send them at 50% just send them and I will post.

[quote=“Roofmaster417”]Send me your pix.I will post them for you.Don’t send more than 6 pix.When you send them try to send them 50% of their actually size.

If you don’t understand how to send them at 50% just send them and I will post.
[/quote]

I doubt very seriously that a gap in the roof deck alone would cause a leak.License plates,folgers cans,beer cans,laminate flooring etc has been used for decking and amazingly has not leaked.

If a fastener is within the gap then it is possible.,If the shingle has formed in the gap somehow and become sunken and a fastener is within the area that is pooling then that would cause a slow leak.

Do you have plank style decking?.,1"x12’s etc.That style of decking has gaps in them.That is the only type of decking that comes to mind that would have something similar to a 1" gap.Plywood should have around an 1/8" when using H-clips and really 1/8" is minimum.I have never really seen a proper to code plywood deck installation with a 1" gap.

Its not the gap, but the way it was roofed.

The way the roofer installed the bottom of that valley is the cause of your issue. Could be the capping, but I suspect it’s the shingles. With 3 different roof planes intersecting, special attention needs to be taken.
That and they wove the valley, so it will be a more difficult repair, but it can be done.

You can tell they (the roofers) were a bit worried about that spot by the amount of caulking they used to seal it up.

BTW, the gap in the sheeting isn’t really acceptable, but it isn’t the cause of your leak IMO.

I do not have plank style decking. They did use H clips at other spots on the roof.

One bit of important information. The day I moved into the new house 7+ years ago, it was raining and this exact same spot leaked into the house. They came out that day and fixed it. My contention is that this was not fixed 100% correctly and has had slow leak all these years. Only yesterday did it become larger and noticeable. Also, it leaks in the home at the header to an office closet, so it is not easy to notice. There are early signs of water damage on the closet trim now with paint slightly peeling, cracking, and warping.

Sent you the pictures roofmaster. Thanks

Mirax

flickr.com/photos/11748588@N04/

Thanks kage!

Nothing like “fixing” it with a pile of goop. A proper fix is in order, remove shingles, re-apply underlay to the area, and reshingle, properly.

:shock:

:shock:

Somebody went nuts with the saw.What sealant was used?,Looks like window/siding sealant/white silicone or if you were lucky white Vulcem.,

That is a poor excuse for sealant app.Topical??.,My daughter does a better job playing in pudding.At least she can keep the pudding in the bowl. :lol:

I agree the leak should be around the first 3 pieces of ridge cap.Who had the bright idea to use the weave?

put torch on in that area.

very bad design. a hip going into a valley. a valley should flow off the roof, not into itself.
very experianced roofer needed.

Got a roofer to look at it. The leak into the roof is underneath that area, but up a few feet from that, the felt under the shingles is all tore up. He said this is causing the water to get under everything and drain to where it is really easy to get through. Sound good to you? Thanks.

Mirax

all fine and dandy…but why is water even getting there if its under shingles? who cares about the felt, whats up with shingles to be lettin water in to begin with?

Is that a really badly done cricket?

That is an, ahem, interesting photo. Most certainly some nails that don’t belong. In Miami roofers must install 16" valley metal. That takes care of most gap issues. Other than that, a hip emanating out of a valley (again, shoot the architect!), a ROOFER can deal with it…

Roofer Mike
http://www.roofermikeinc.com

Miraxian wrote:
but up a few feet from that, the felt under the shingles is all tore up. He said this is causing the water to get under everything and drain to where it is really easy to get through.

[quote]

I run into probably 75 roofs per year that have NO felt.Some have never leaked.And yes you have an architects dream/roofers nightmare but I have seen many,many nightmares that were roofed correctly that don’t allow a drop of water in.

Bad architecture or not your roofer should have had the knowledge to adapt to the project he agreed to take on.What it boils down to is your “roofer” dropped the ball and was over his head and was defeated by design.

Back in the day it wasn’t a requirement to use felt and hundreds of thousands of homes were roofed without felt by roofers with the ability to use common sense and technique in their installations.

Felt was originally used to separate the shingles and decking that had sap seepage from the decking which caused roof failure by premature shingle failure.So that felt that is cut up on your roof has no bearing on the reason its leaking.

If a roof is installed incorrectly felt or no felt its going to leak regardless.But it will matter if the water penetration point is in the vicinity of the cut up felt.That will allow the water to have a more direct approach to your ceiling.Having felt in that area could possibly give the water a different point of travel making it a little more difficult to trace back to the origin.[/quote]

Best case scenario would be open copper valleys with a small copper pan at that ugly transition. You can’t do closed valley in an area like that because you screw yourself at that messed up little Y junction. As one person said, it’s just a poor design to try and waterproof. That being said, I’d run someone off my job that weaved a valley; it’s an antiquated method making future valley repair unnecessarily difficult. It also imo looks damn ugly.