Garage doors

Seems lately i have been having issues with a piece of old felt or shingle rubbing up against the garage door causing a black mark during the tear off. I have dealt with it enough that i believe i have found the solution but wanted to know what others have done to deal with it.

lately i have been hanging a tarp to protect the garage door and on two storys, its a must.

For me the best hand cleaner in the world is original gojo.
the orange gojo does not work as well at all.
I tried it on the garage doors and it leaves a stain.
then i tried the karnack cleaner, it leaves a stain.
Just about everything ive tried will at least change the sheen in the area.

Now i am using no water and just Ajax and a white towel. I am satisfied but it takes a lot of elbow grease. Just wonder what others are doing.

Now i just scratched one and tried to paint just inside the scratch. sigh.

Remove what is rubbing on it, problem solved!

ricki, i already know how to prevent it from happening.
Its not always a success.
I am looking for other professionals opinions about how they deal with the siuation after it happens.
Thankyou for your useful post!

i use a little brak cleaner, work better even than w40, fewer spots left. IMO 8)

Gasoline on a rag without holding a lit cigarette-

Older vinyl siding can actually be scratched off by scraping with a razor- only tried that on white.

Tarps- for those if not realized yet can be marked through onto siding, garage doors, ect.

Backing up the trailer (or container) under the overhang and laying plywood against wall yet in trailer detours all trash into trailer not on the ground between house and trailer-

I have used the Karnak solution. It works great if you have a water hose. I spray it on a rag then wipe then spray with water. Tamko has an awesome product. It is by far the best I have ever seen or used.

Zep asphalt remover is the best from my experience.

If you know how to fix it and not always successful??? Maybe you don’t know?

I have the answer…hands down, “magic eraser”. Just learned it last year. Absolutly amazing results! We keep cases of them in the job trailers. Works on every surface with no staining or residue.

Magic eraser is the best!!!

[quote=“rickengie”]Zep asphalt remover is the best from my experience.

If you know how to fix it and not always successful??? Maybe you don’t know?[/quote]

Here ricki, lets re-read it again. possibly two times.
" i already know how to prevent it from happening.
Its not always a success."

“Prevent” and “Fix” are two different words with two different meanings…
Both action words.
One means an action taken before an act.
One means an action taken after the act.

THANKS AGAIN!!! You’re the best!

Thankyou SO much for everyones input so far!
I must say i am excited about trying the magic eraser.

Cases of it marshal? hehehe

yes cases. We employ roofers…not geniuses :? . If anyone here says the don’t find any damage after a tear off…they dont look hard enough! We use tarps, plywood & soon a roofers buggy. still find scuff marks.

The magic erasers work great but dont last long. They are inexpensive so i buy them by the case. They are in the home cleaning section of any grocery store. I take my shopping cart & clear the shelf.