Grace vs Certainteed

I am in process of having a standing seam roof installed on my home with 1/12 and 2/12 pitches. The contract specifies using Grace Ice & Water Shield HT over the entire roof deck.

I’ve done a lot of research on this subject but just can’t find definitive information. It seems most opinions regard the Grace products as superior (why it was spec’ed in the first place), but at twice the cost. My contractor insists that although the non-high temp versions of each vary widely in price, the high temperature versions of each are virtually the same cost.

What do you pros out there pay for Grace Ice & Water Shield HT and Certanteed Wintergard HT? Is the Grace HT better than Certainteed’s HT? Is the price difference similar for the high temp versions as well? Am I being taken for a ride?

My preference is the Grace product, but, why are you putting ice and water shield on in the first place?

The underlayment is just for extra protection. I realize it is considered a crutch by many but this house has been plagued by leaks over the years and perhaps it will let me sleep better at night.

Do you use the high temp Grace? Simply for performance characteristics? How does the cost compare to Wintergard HT? What would you pay your supplier for each product up in Chardon? Beautiful area, by the way.

Typically there are several brands of HT Ice and Water barrier I don’t mind using, depending…

Something like standing seam? Any quality HT barrier should do just fine. Grace’s big draw for me as a professional is that it is much more pliable. I would not use anything else for underlayment in high detail applications like a build in gutter.

I admit that I think it is a better product for more reasons than just that but for normal, low detail applications it is not worth the cost.

Tar Monkey, what is a typical price for Grace IWS HT? How does that compare to Wintergard HT in your area? Feel free to PM me if you aren’t comfortable discussing costs in this forum.

Prices may vary from region to region but we pay around 130.00 for a 2sq roll of “normal” quality HT barrier while the Grace Ultra is sitting around 240ish for the same size roll.

Any idea about the cost of Grace Ice & Water Shield HT? I beleive it is a different product than the Grace Ultra. Do the “normal HT” products you refer to include Certainteed’s Wintergard HT?

Just out of curiousity, why did the contract state high temp i&w shield? Ive used it under slate but not on metal roofing decks & Ohio isnt like your in Florida? I know OH gets hot too, I go to my inlaws in New Phili a couple times a yr. but you shouldnt need high temp. If thats what you paid for you should be getting it.

Absolutely use HT ice & water under the entire roof on those slopes , with standing seam I only will use Grace. Make certain that the metal you are getting can be used on those pitches. Most of the standing seam we have used here can only be used on 3/12 or steeper slopes. Grace is the best , others are cheaper .

Grace is by far the best product for this application and most standing seam manufacturers REQUIRE High Temp because these metal roofs get HOT!

But also be very careful on the installation method and panels he is using The only way to do this properly is with a walk behind seamer that bonds the seams together, try to do this with snap panels or the like and it will eak like a sive.

No doubt, grace products are the best.You can go for it.

corry, oldman, Acubis and seoforu,

To answer your concerns…Yes, hi temp underlayment is required under the metal around here…the manufacturer is signing off on the warranty for my pitch roof…the panels are double lock, mechanically crimped with an integral sealant…and I do think Grace is the best, that’s why I had it spec’ed in the contract.

Now my question–what is the cost difference of Grace IWS HT vs Certainteed Wintergard HT?

Use MFM Wind & Water…high temp without paying the premium for Grace and it is slip resistant.

Grace is about 60 cents per sq. ft. more than Winterguard HT.

My advice is, unless you have top notch ventilation both under the I&W and under the SS metal, and experienced professional installers, go with a low slope roofing product designed for the roof.

Thanks Dennis, that;s the kind of info I’m looking for. Can you tell me if that extra sixty cents per foot translates to the Grace HT costing twice as much as the Wintergard HT, as it seems to be with the non high temp versions?

And why not the standing seam? It seems to me the metal, with the manufacturer’s performance warranty, would be the perfect solution for my problem plagued roof.

[quote=“mem”]Thanks Dennis, that;s the kind of info I’m looking for. Can you tell me if that extra sixty cents per foot translates to the Grace HT costing twice as much as the Wintergard HT, as it seems to be with the non high temp versions?

And why not the standing seam? It seems to me the metal, with the manufacturer’s performance warranty, would be the perfect solution for my problem plagued roof.[/quote]

If you are in his service area why not just have Dennis do it?
Take a look at his website and examples of his work, there is a wide variety of very nice work there.

You’re right Axiom, looks like dennis does some very nice work! Unfortunately, his name never came up in my searches. Maybe that he is a three hour drive away or perhaps his bent for copper, slate and historical restoration, I don’t know.

Regardless, I am in contract and would like to know if my contractor is trying to pull a fast one on me. How about you, can you tell me what the current pricing is in your area for Grace Ice & Water Shield HT and Certainteed Wintergard HT?

WHy the worry with underlay. The only thing that matters is the roof on top. If it leaks, the underlay will too.

And the manufacturer of one of them, I forget which said it will be a moot point at some time. The HT will melt and become useless when it reaches 240f.

Felt or wood will be just as well for the roof IF the roof is done correctly. Nothing will have an impact if the roof detailing is faulty.

Grace ultra costs $245/roll here, that is roughly 2x as much as Winterguard HT.

I agree that all you should need is felt or a synthetic underlayment for a standing seam roof.
If you do choose to use HT ice & water shield the Certainteed product will be more than adequate.

[quote=“tinner666”]WHy the worry with underlay. The only thing that matters is the roof on top. If it leaks, the underlay will too.

And the manufacturer of one of them, I forget which said it will be a moot point at some time. The HT will melt and become useless when it reaches 240f.

Felt or wood will be just as well for the roof IF the roof is done correctly. Nothing will have an impact if the roof detailing is faulty.[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly tinner–if the finish roof is done poorly, the underlay will not be worth a hill of beans.

My concern is that Grace Ice & Water Shield HT is specified in the contract. As I see it, that means I agreed to pay the premium to use Grace IWS HT and the contractor agreed to use it. Now he comes in and installs a product that costs him half as much, no matter how well suited to the application. Why is that savings going into his pocket instead of staying in mine? I just don’t think that is right.