Gutter Guard Installation

I’m having a new roof put on within the next few weeks (assuming the weather improves a tad here in central N.Carolina). I’ve got a different company installing some new gutter guards on my gutters. Their method of attaching them is to slide the guard over the top of the first shingle and under the second shingle and then screw the guard to the roof and use sealant. The roofer said he is used to seeing more guards that clip on to the gutter and was a tad bit concerned about someone screwing guards into his new roof. A quote from the gutter guard installer (who is a general construction contractor with 30 years in the business in my area, who does a lot of gutters,windows, some roofing,etc).

The Gutter shield is screwed underneath the 2nd course of shingle. It does
not affect the shingle warranty and is the proper way to install. The ones
he was referring to can get blown off and bent in a heavy wind. This is the
proper way to install my product. Let him do the roof and give me a call and
we will properly install your Gutter Shield with a lifetime warranty. Thanks
for your business.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Mark

i dont care for that product. i use gutter gaurd that just goes on the gutter alone. The reason i say that is because there COULD be a leak issue in time. Anytime you use sealant on a roof if there is too much it will blister the shingle even under the shingle. I do not like anything under the roof other than what is needed to be there. Second off that is a low cost gutter protection product. Alcoa’s gutter guard works in my opnion the best all i install

both the roofer and the gentleman that replied are correct. The gutter guards the gutter guy wants to install are called gutter helment and to properly install the guard you wil need to install them on top of the first row of shingles and under the second row, if the shingles are sealed properly then you will be ok. The second gentleman to reply and the roofer are talking about Leaf relief, Also an exelent choice. These covers sit on top of the gutter and screw into the front upper portion of the gutter. They are a great choice i have installed both kinds an feel you will do just fine with either choice. This comes from a roofer as well as a gutter guy.

I’m not a big fan of any gutter guard period. The so called high end gutter guard, such as gutter helmet, costs a fortune. Depending on the type of debris you get on your property, it may have limited effectiveness.

If you’re going to install gutter guard that involves manipulating the new roof, I’d make sure the gutter installer is willing to warranty your roof from leaking due to his gutter guard or his install. I don’t know how one could expect the roofer to warrant any leaks that occur where his installation has been touched. Should you have the misfortune of having a leak in that gray area where the gutter installation was made, now you got a real problem trying to make one of the contractor’s be accountable.

I’ve seen two types of gutter guard I like. One is a Teflon coated type screen that is attached to the gutter and comes in different hole sizes to address the debris you see on your property. The other was a Styrofoam type of rectangle that simply sits in the gutter. Debris sits on top, water seeps through. Both are very reasonable price wise. I recommend these two with a caveat. You still need to have your gutters cleaned every year or two. Unless your property is somewhere that you don’t get much debris, I’ve yet to see a gutter guard system that works so well that you never have to clean your gutters again.

DCI products have one called flo-free.

I have had these on the office for five yrs and never cleaned or had a problem with them. In all fairness the only people i know of that have any complaints are the ones with the pine needles but i dont think any cover on the market can honestly protect you from them.

You are correct and in the areas I work, there are a LOT of pine needles. The other one that seems to cause a big problem is the little whirleybird things that occur in the spring. Like I said, if you’re fortunate enough to have the right kind of debris in your neighborhood, gutter guard works okay. If you have the pine needles, whirleybirds and any other smaller stuff, combined with bigger leafs, I haven’t seen anything that really works that well.

For years there has not been anything good for gutter guards the best is the standard drop in guards powder coat with small holes. Just have to flush out the gutters every 3 years or so and its very cost effective.
But there is a new product out called gutterglove it will keep everything out even pine needles,But it is costly.I would stay away from any kind of helmet guards.Heavy rains water goes over and on lite rains I have seen the water pull debris into gutter.

So your roofer comes in, installs a fancy shmancy new roof in North Carolina, which right now sits around -1C (26F). This is my temperature up in Canada right now.

K so. Your gutter guy is going to come in after your new roof is installed and before it seals, and try to flip up the second course of shingles to put screws in? Good luck getting that second course to bend in those temps without either breaking or popping out of the nails. Unless of course you’re getting 3-tab shingles. Laminates will not bend in those temps, I only know this from roofing for 12 years in negative temps. (If I am wrong on how this works, correct me)

A better idea would be to get your gutter guy and your roofer to get together on the idea and maybe the roofer can install the first row, go have a coffee while the gutter guy does his screwing around (pun intended :mrgreen: )

[quote=“bcdemon”] Unless of course you’re getting 3-tab shingles. Laminates will not bend in those temps, I only know this from roofing for 12 years in negative temps. (If I am wrong on how this works, correct me)

[/quote]

Yes, I’m going with Certainteed XT25 3 tab.

2 of my neighbors got the leaf guard brand and neither like them, they build up ice on them and neither had ice before, not sure why, doesnt seem to leak in just ice build up.

now what about the ones that look like a sponge that go in the gutters ?? I have pine needles but mostly maple leaves and locast. Times id like to cut the trees down as im cleaning these all the time. I have a ranch and about 160 ft total of gutter

I love Leaf Relief. I’ve installed it many times and haven’t had any call backs.

I tried a gutter guard like Gutter Helmet, but I hate breaking the seal on the shingles, and it didn’t install as fast as Leaf Relief.

Leaf Relief is the only product we istall, period. It does not touch the roof.

i have done a few with Leaf Relief, that is nice stuff.

seems like that leaf relief the pine needles and leaves would just pack on top of it and block the water ?? Also wonder what winter ice would do to it ?

Winter Ice is going to build where it wants to. We are talking gutter guard against leafs here. Not Ice melting systems.

Try GutterShutter. Inline price to Helmet, Topper but slips under drip edge.
Looks Special details for valleys and a real strong bracket but the most important part is it is fully enclosed, high back system- meaning its a 5" gutter but uses 15" coil and the extra is run up the back side.
Someone mentioned Leaf something or another. I used it once. I must say don’t spend the money you make- you will be giving it back if you stand behind your product. Nothing to do on valleys except watch the water flow over.

[quote=“roofcheck”]
Someone mentioned Leaf something or another. I used it once. I must say don’t spend the money you make- you will be giving it back if you stand behind your product. Nothing to do on valleys except watch the water flow over.[/quote]

Splash guards should be installed in valleys with leaf relief.

I’ve been installing lots of different brand over the years, and this is the only one that I will install now.
Cheap, solid, easy to install.

check it out
alu-rex.com/en/index.asp

The purpose of our Gutter Guard product line is to stop leaves or reduce debris from entering the gutter/eaves trough. Product performance can vary depending on proper installation, product selection, gutter orientation, roof material and slope. Winter weather may cause snow and ice to accumulate at roof eaves. Ice damming can result from improper roof ventilation and inadequate insulation. Heat radiating from below the roof and sun radiation melt snow and it freezes again when temperatures drop below freezing (0°C/32°F degrees). Icicles can be formed on roof edges due to these conditions whether or not gutters or guards are installed. This is a natural process beyond the manufacturers control and we accept no responsibility for ice and snow accumulation or related consequences.