Help: does this look like a layover roof?

We recently had one roof replaced.
The roofer said that he tore off the old shingles and installed new ones.
But we found out later some photos which suggest otherwise.

Here are the photos we saw. They were taken during the job was being done.

Does this look like that new shingles are put on top of old ones?

Please help. Thank you very much.

(update: finally figure out how to insert image here. Thank you all very much for the replies)
(we were asked what color we want to use for the new roof and we didn’t have any preference so we said the same color. Now I could not tell which is old, which is new.)

http://www.roofing.com/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=508&image_id=1915
http://www.roofing.com/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=508&image_id=1916
http://www.roofing.com/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=508&image_id=1917http://www.roofing.com/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=508&image_id=1918

We call that "nesting " in canada, same concept as layover I assume. Its now is against some province guidlines in our country, and generally not recommended for a host a reasons. From what I saw , there was work being done right over the old shingles.

I also see rain tho, maybe it was a quick cover put up to protect the roof, is there more pictures?

[quote=“kimblywt”]We recently had one roof replaced.
The roofer said that he tore off the old shingles and installed new ones.
But we found out later some photos which suggest otherwise.

Here are the photos we saw. They were taken during the job was being done.

Does this look like that new shingles are put on top of old ones?

Please help. Thank you very much.

http://www.roofing.com/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=508&image_id=1915[/quote]

Somebody lied.
That is obviously a new roof going over the old, the felt was probably a misguided attempt to hide it.

The evidence I can see is in the area where the old roof meets the paper, it looks as though a tar line is present which would only mean that there is a missing shingle. Next I see no nail indentation in the starting strip or the steps of the shingle. The paper seems to have one orange cap placed in it and I see no visible staples which would explain the bulge in the paper .the rational of not having something that close to the edge nailed down is silly or done in panic mode. Paper tares pretty easy. A starter shingle hanging and scratching the gutter lends credibility to a hasty cover… add a bit of rain water and well the formula fits…its more evidence I need!! Lol

In pic Roof 1 it sure looks like they shingled over old shingles. Go around at the bottom of your roof and you should be able to tell at the drip edge.

However, I do see some debris in the gutter which is a sign they tore off shingles.

Maybe I’m going blind with age but to me it looks simply like a layer of shingles were torn off, felt was applied, new shingles were installed and then a temporary dry in was done in an attempt to prevent water from entering the home.

The best way to check is to go to the very middle of one part of the new roof, find a place where two shingles fit together. gently raise up the shingle right above that and pull out one nail on the end of one shingle.

Raise up the end of the shingle you pulled the nail out of and cut the felt paper open to see if there is another layer of shingles underneath or just the wood decking. Re-install the nail slightly left or right of where it was pulled from.

[quote=“LuckyChucky”]Maybe I’m going blind with age but to me it looks simply like a layer of shingles were torn off, felt was applied, new shingles were installed and then a temporary dry in was done in an attempt to prevent water from entering the home.
[/quote]

Thanks LuckyChucky.
When I look at the first photo, the new shingles are at the upper left part. Is it right?
At the lower right part, under the felt, are those old shingles?

Thank you

Yes, that is correct.

I downloaded pic one and zoomed in. It appears to me that the old shingles were torn off at an angle. Probably in the same manner they were originally installed. There is a diagonal hump where the felt comes off the old shingles just before it goes under the new shingles. That suggests there are no old shingles under the new ones or it should be level with no hump. If this is true as it appears to be, the only reason the felt was put on top of the old shingles was to “dry in” the roof and prevent water from leaking into your home.

So, it appears that your roofer did indeed tear the old roof off. It’s hard to be 100% certain just from the pictures alone but that’s what it appears like to me.

Looks to me like you may have had two layers on and your roofer removed the top layer and shingled over the remaining layer

edit: Viewed pictures on pc vs phone and I have to change my thoughts. On phone the shingles next to the new ones in first pic looked like three tabs whereas the following pictures looked like dimensionals. I can now see there all dimensionals. Looks like Chucky described.

[quote=“LuckyChucky”]Yes, that is correct.

It appears to me that the old shingles were torn off at an angle.
There is a diagonal hump where the felt comes off the old shingles just before it goes under the new shingles.
If this is true as it appears to be, the only reason the felt was put on top of the old shingles was to “dry in” the roof and prevent water from leaking into your home.

[/quote]

Thank you for taking the trouble to download and examine the picture.
I saw the hump, especially under the black strip (don’t know what it is called) at the edge of the roof.
So you are saying that the old shingles were not torn off at once.
(for example: in the first photo, the upper left part of the old shingles were torn off and new shingles were put on. When the upper left part of the roof was done, the roofer might start with the lower right part, again first removing the old shingles then putting on the new ones.)
Is roof replacement usually done like that (section by section)?
Or it is due to the weather.
(The weather was indeed not very good during the roof was being replaced.)

Sorry about so many questions, but I am not able to inspect the roof until Monday.
I am really puzzled by the issue.
Also I am still hoping that it is just a misunderstanding: our roofer is honest with us.

Yeah the more I look at your pics the more confident that your roofer tore off all the shingles. I think it was just papered that way for an overnight dry in.

Is roof replacement usually done like that (section by section)?
Or it is due to the weather.
(The weather was indeed not very good during the roof was being replaced.)

Section by section is a smart way to approach a tear off especially if the crew doing the work is rather small in number. If they knew the weather would be iffy this is even more true.

There are a few other hints that suggest the roof was torn off as well. In pic one on the right, you can see where part of the 3rd and 5th shingle from the bottom is missing. There’s no reason for that if the roof wasn’t being torn off. Also the new shingles in pic one were not nailed down on the ends and the black paper was barely nailed. Most likely so it doesn’t hamper things when the tearing off resumes.

Pic two just looks like a temporarily dried in valley and pic 4 is a dried in ridge. When the tear off resumes, the black felt paper that’s over the old roofing is just cut, comes out with the old shingles and is thrown away.

LC, I work alone, so when doing a re-roof I do 1 section at a time to make sure I can get it shingled that same day.

I would say your roof was tore off and replaced.