Help with customer asking for a discount

When Asian or East-Indian potential customers ask for a discount I was taught to mark up 20% and then when asked for the expected discount I go down 20% and then I score the job and become there hero. I have also found that Asians have a large network of people that also want a discount. I know it’s cultural.

Can you please tell me your experiences with customers that may help me sell jobs that work for you almost every time?

Hi,

I do not discout the price.

If they want a lower price I subtract something from the work being done.

I have a reputation that I can pick the work I want. So I do not have to drop prices to get work. If they want you they will hire you without dropping your price.

When they ask me. I tell them “I already gave you my best price”.

when you discount your price without changing your specifications you loose credibility in the eyes of the customer. I never drop my price for no reason and I could care less if the other roofers are giving roofs away. take the high road and play there game right back too them, sure i can discount tell me what you want to cut out of the specs. or maybee they would rather a 20 year tab shingle. nothing in life is free.

It’s weird. Lefty, I was thinking to myself before I logged on today that I really respect this Lefty guy on the roofers forum. You stand out man. Anyways I’ve been in the situation time and time again with Asians especially and they ask for a discount. I like to average $80 per hr for me so I just estimate at $100 for them. The first lady I did this with was like WOW!! You are really expensive. I said I always make sure the job is done correctly and there won’t be any problems anyways. She knew she could trust me. I said I’ll tell you what I’ll go down 10% and she said “That’s it?”

Can’t blame a man for tryin. Then I said “Ok let me see if I can do 20, what’s 20?” She was standing there with me figuring it out and we both came up with the number about the same time. There I was right where I wanted to be. $80.00

Not only that but they fed me a Korean popsicle, Korean fried rice with beef and tried kimchi at lunch, and sent me home with enough homemade soup to feed me for 3 days!

Another time this Asian lady had me come out because her skylight was leaking. It was raining hard and the skylight was at the peak of a 7/12 wood shake roof. I found the source of the problem and told them I would fix for $350.00 right now. I was going to rag the wet stuff and apply caulking and stuff some metal shingles on this one part I thought might leak too.

When I told her the price her jaw dropped and gave me the immediate Asian knee-jerk reaction of asking for a discount. I asked what kind of a discount and this confused her. I said $20.00 and she had me wait until her husband came home. I told him the same thing and they never called back. This house was in a neighborhood where they are valued at $1,000,000 and up. Approx 6000 sq. ft houses some are more. I only wasted about 3 hours on this one. :evil:

Thats always a bummer when time is wasted,but its the nature of the beast. for a discount see if she will give you a massage next time.

happy ending with discount

Sam:

You must be young. I’m in my upper 40s.

I remember dealing with the folks 40 years older than me back in the 70s-80s. Most were big hagglers. The tricks you are talking about were common place with every culture back in the 60s thru 80s.

You ALWAYS must let them haggle you down or they didn’t want to deal with you. It gives them something to brag about to their friends. Makes them feel in control.

Your dealings with oriental folks you describe are pretty much how everyone did business back then. Saturn dealers would have gone bankrupt.

I’m 31. It’s funny to me. It’s like a trust thing. It’s not bad to go down but there is only so far you can go. The 20% up and then right down is good though.

Hi Sam from Seattle,

Korean food is good.

I understand the cultural thing. Arabs are the same way. I used to hate to even go when they called. Knowing that was the deal.

Today, I give them the price. Then they ask for the best I can do. I tell them that is the best price. Then the uncomfortable silence. Most that call me go with me.

There is nothing wrong with giving a discount. I just do not need to do it anymore.

Thank God

Hi Sam from Seattle,

Sorry for not acknowloging the commpliemant.

Thank You.

Iron sharpens Iron.

It’s cool. I try to give credit where it’s deserved. No need for apologies. But now I can compliment you for your manners.

I don’t do business with people from certian cutural back grounds, learned my lesson a long time ago. I just excerise my right to do, or refuse business with those whom I see fit.

It is a little bit more comfortable with the bullshit cut out. I start getting irritated when people don’t respect my time, skill, or the long hard road to get here as a roofer. I just leave as fast as I can and blow them off. I’ve had a couple customers chase me down and I told them straight up how I was feeling that I would be taken advantage of for what they expect. They’ll learn.

[quote=“SamfromSeattle”]When Asian or East-Indian potential customers ask for a discount I was taught to mark up 20% and then when asked for the expected discount I go down 20% and then I score the job and become there hero. I have also found that Asians have a large network of people that also want a discount. I know it’s cultural.

Can you please tell me your experiences with customers that may help me sell jobs that work for you almost every time?[/quote]

Thats funny.
I give the same price to anyone no matter the race.
Money is money.
If they dont want it then they cna shuv it.
In my area we keep it tight and dont let up.