Help!

Hello,

My name is Michael and I live in San Antonio, Texas. To make a long story short, I paid $6,800.00 to have a new roof put on. Two problems remain from the original start date…OCT of 2004.

1.) Replaced skylight leaks when it rains

2.) Hole where wind turbine was replaced was just covered over with a shingle and not repaired

I’ve left phone & email messages for months but the guy refuses to even reply. Yesterday I filed a complaint with the BBB.

Are there any other recourses I have. On the contract he guarantees 5 years on his workmanship. He never had to ask twice for my $6,800.00 and now leaves me hanging. I am outraged and will do everything I can “legally” to get him to fix the problems.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. If this is what 20 years of serving our country is about - protecting the rights of men like this, then I’m ashamed to be a veteran of this country.

Sincerely,

Michael T. Russo, United States Air Force

is he still in business? the skylight sounds like an easy fix. probably just a simple flashing detail. if this is all on a somewhat low pitch. call a credibal roofer to fix and it shouldnt cost too much. some warranties are just what a guy says to you. if hes not in business then…neither is his warranty.

I understand your frustration. Like marshall said those are usually small repairs and won’t cost that much. This is very irritating to me. There are companies out here that just put a roof on without insurance and then get the money and dont fix there problems. I try to offer the best possible service for the best possible price. I would look for a company that is licensed bonded and insured and has refernces. I would pay to have the repair done but I wouldnt let him slide on the disappearing act.

Thanks guys.

Yes, he’s still in business…Trinity Roofing of San Antonio. The skylight was a nightmare from day one. It’s what caused me to check into getting the roof looked at in the first place. He came out at 3 least different times after the project was initially done …because after each good rain, the skylight would leak. Finally, he agreed to replace all 3 of the skylights. I would pay for the skylights & he’d install them - no charge. After all, I instructed him to replace them to begin with if, in his professional opinion, they needed to be replaced. He said they didn’t. But every time it rained I had to get a bucket to catch the drips.

There has been a drought down here for about 11 months - we thought the problem was fixed “finally”. So, when it did finally rain heavily a couple of weeks ago…bingo, one of the other skylights started leaking. Previously, the guy looked me right in the eye and said he’d come out as many times as it took to make sure the skylight (s) didn’t leak any more. This somehow turned into an “I’m sick of having to go to that house & frick with those skylights so, I’m just not going to reply to the customer any more” situation. His contract says he guarantees all workmanship for 5 years.

I’ve filed a complaint with the BBB. I’ve contacted a local TV station that does segments on folks getting taken advantage of by shoddy businesses - they recommended I go to a mediation & if that doesn’t work to contact them and they’ll investigate further and possibly go to his business (on air) and ask him why he won’t finish the job. I’m currently making signs for my yard and cars to warn other customers.

I was wondering if there was some Texas Roofer’s Association or something that kind of ensured roofers policed themselves etc. I just don’t know enough about your trade. I do know I’m pissed and if it takes me years…I’m going to do everything I can to make sure other customers are aware of this asshole!

Marshall is correct when saying people go in and out of business alot. Also they do not cover warranty work even tho they say they do. I would call another roofing contractor to come out and look at what you have going on. I think it is bs for you to pay to have for new skylights when it is 90% of the time a flashing issue. The flashing kits are around 100 bucks each and i have seen a very small pin hole in the curb cause leaks. Have the repair done and have pictures taken and then take the guy to court for not holding up to his warranty. Also call him on a cell phone so you have proof that you have tried to contact him and have him repair his mistake. Make it bulletproof and then he can not say you never called. This happens many many times a year to alot of people. They are normally the ones that go out of business once a year. There should be a law against this but for some reason there is nothing to protect the consumer. WHen a company does these things it hurts all the honest guys in the business, also the supply house that gets stuck with a 10k bill for materials that they sent on credit. I hope this helps you out.

Update: Mr. Dahlbeck of Trinity Roofing in San Antonio refuses to respond to the Better Business Bureau…

Complaint ID#: 90078605
Business Name: Trinity Roofing

You recently requested our help concerning a problem with the company named above.

The company has not responded to the Bureau to date. Therefore, we have sent another request to the company. If you have heard from the company please return this letter to the Better Business Bureau. If we do not hear from you, we will assume that you have not heard directly from the company and will proceed with the processing of your complaint.

We encourage you to use our ONLINE COMPLAINT system to keep up with the progress of this complaint.

Click here to go directly to your complaint.

Sincerely,

Nancy Kawata
Marketplace Relations Representative
nkawata@centraltx.bbb.org

What exactly does this mean? … and will proceed with the processing of your complaint.

Proceed how?

Any of you guys had experience with a person / company that just blows off the BBB?

Thanks!

The BBB has no teeth. I don’t know about Texas, but in California all contractors have to be licensed by the state and post a bond. If your state has a contractors license board I’d start there. If the state has some kind of consumer affairs department, they can also be of help.

As has been said, the quickest (and likely the best) fix is going to be to have the roof repaired by someone a little more reputable…heck, I’d have second thoughts about this guy coming back anyway. Then you can take him to small claims court for the repair costs.

Jackson

:twisted: Go to where his Business is and confront him face to face and if he walks away follow his crew every morning and tell the current cost. what he did to you

I HAVE LOOKED, AND ACCORDING TO THE STATE OF TEXAS THEY DO NOT LICENSE ROOFING CONTRACTORS. IN ARIZONA, A PHONE CALL TO THE REGISTRAR WILL SHUT HIM DOWN. SUE HIM, AND TRY TO GET A JUDGEMENT, AND MAKE HIS BONDING COMPANY PAY. BONDING COMPANIES ARE REALLY NICE PEOPLE. THEY DO THINGS LIKE THE MAFIA, BECAUSE YOU HAVE GIVEN THEM PERMISSION TO WHEN YOU PURCHASE A BOND. THINGS LIKE, TAKE YUOR CARS. PAID FOR OR NOT. TAKE POSESSION OF YOU PHYSICALLY, ETC… THEY ARE VERY GOOD AT COLLECTING THEIR MONEY. THIS MAY MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER.