Hip and Ridge Cap replacement

My grandfather’s house needs new hip and ridge caps. The roof was redone in the late 1980’s so it’s in pretty good shape otherwise. Amazingly, there’s no evidence of leaks indoors but living in Southern California with its near desert climate helps a lot.

We’re going to do the repairs ourselves. Another relative has some experience as a roofer, albeit decades ago. He’s comfortable doing the work with our help, with one exception – he’s clueless about selecting new materials (brand and product line) or proper color matching.

Also, why did these caps fail in the manner they did? We don’t have much wind here.

**EDIT: ** The forum won’t let me post picture links because I’m a new user. How can I post the photos?

[quote=“snakes555”]My grandfather’s house needs new hip and ridge caps. The roof was redone in the late 1980’s so it’s in pretty good shape otherwise. Amazingly, there’s no evidence of leaks indoors but living in Southern California with its near desert climate helps a lot.

We’re going to do the repairs ourselves. Another relative has some experience as a roofer, albeit decades ago. He’s comfortable doing the work with our help, with one exception – he’s clueless about selecting new materials (brand and product line) or proper color matching.

Also, why did these caps fail in the manner they did? We don’t have much wind here.

**EDIT: ** The forum won’t let me post picture links because I’m a new user. How can I post the photos?[/quote]

If you have an asphalt shingle roof done in the late 80’s it is time to replace it.

Replacing the cap will cost more than you think and isn’t worth investing in this roof.

[quote="-Axiom-"]
If you have an asphalt shingle roof done in the late 80’s it is time to replace it.

Replacing the cap will cost more than you think and isn’t worth investing in this roof.[/quote]

The rest of the roof looks almost new, relatively speaking, to my untrained eyes.

If only I could post pictures, you could tell me if I’m right or wrong.

I figured out how to upload pictures to my album, but I can’t link to them.

Copy/paste the link below to see the pictures.

http://www.roofing.com/forum/gallery/snakes555-a493/

Wow, for a 30 year old roof that looks really good. Those caps look organic and I suspect they were not the caps made to go with those shingles. If it were me, I’d just go to the nearest roof supplier and get the closest color caps you can get and not worry about brand. Nearly anything you get should outlast the rest of your roof at its age.

Do you think the rest of the roof has another 10+ years of life?

Would this be a situation where the cheapest materials available would suffice until the entire roof is re-done?

I always hate it when homeowners ask how many years until my shingles need replaced, I think its like asking how many miles until my engine goes in my car. They look in good shape and all but because they are already pretty old I really can’t imagine they would last another 10+ years. Yeah I’d think any brand of cap shingle should outlast the rest of your roof because of its age.

I wouldn’t spend much on ridge caps for that roof unless I was replacing the entire roof.

Just go buy some 3 tab shingles that match and cut your own ridge caps out of those.

You MIGHT be able to expect 5 more years.

You can wait until leaks start popping up all over the place and shingles are falling off the roof to replace it but it’s always best to get a new roof before all that happens and at a time when you are in a good financial position to do so.

Yes those look like organics and they also appear to be of the same material as the field shingles. Why are they failing and not the field shingles? If I had to guess, because they were bent to be hip & ridge cap. Before you go buying a bunch of shingles for ridge cap, I think I’d try to find one and see what happens when you walk on the field shingles, tear off a piece of old cap and attempt to nail a new piece on. While those field shingles look in decent shape, I’ll bet they are very brittle. They may very well not stand up to some foot traffic and finagling with the cap. Try a couple higher up on a slope and see what happens.

Were it my house, I’d look at replacing the entire roof. With that being a hip roof, I think you’ll find replacing that cap is a more difficult endeavor than you may think it is. You also have to consider the risk you are putting yourself in by doing the work yourself and possibly getting injured.

With that said, if you can’t afford a complete roof replacement at the moment, I’d spend a little extra and purchase specialty hip & ridge cap. It won’t amount to that much more and will make your task much easier. Good luck regardless of your decision.

I didn’t see any ventilation on the roof. That had to have at least contributed to the decay of the ridge caps.

Looks like you may have about 200 feet of ridge.

6 bundles of 3-tab shingles will cover that and cost approx. $125 - $150.

OR

10 bundles of specialty caps will cover it at a cost of about $350-$400.

Since the weather is cool, open them upa nd spread them around in the sun to soften them before you bend them. On dimensional roofs, I double the cap up for more definition and in a case like yours, more protection.

(double the cap up= installing two on top of each other instead of just one. Putting them on in doubles instead of singly.)

Thanks for everyone’s input.

I suspect the financial details of this situation are something you guys run into pretty frequently. Replacing the entire roof is probably the best option, long term, in terms of cost but not possible at this point. Very simply put, my grandfather never expected to live to age 92 (and counting) in good health.

He set aside lots of cash and investments when he retired in the mid-1980’s but those accounts are slowly being whittled away. He no longer has the deep savings accounts to draw from to be able to drop $15-20K on a new roof. Complicating matters further, he is not eligible for a reverse mortgage for seniors because this is not his “principal residence”. He spends most of his time in another state (1500 miles away) where he grew up.

The reason I asked “how many years does this roof have left” is because it could have far-reaching implications in the years ahead. These are difficult discussions to have with loved ones because it makes it sound like you want them dead sooner than later, which couldn’t be farther from the truth.

Those are RidgeGlass (or a very close match) hip and ridge caps. They come pre-bent so it wasn’t bending them over the hip that made them fail, they’re just a crap cap. You also have no venting that I can see, which would mean your field shingles are most likely cooked.

But if all you want to do is replace the caps, do it with 3 tab (Certainteed XT-30) caps. No need to spend money on specific hip and ridge caps when your roof is that old already.