Hip roof ranch, frost on under side of roof?

Ok I have a 2ft overhang on my hip roof ranch…we have had a ton of cold and snow here so far this winter…I have the entire edge of my roof raked off back about 3 or 4 ft…no ice damming ( thank God) but i was up in the attic over my attached garage today and noticed frost on the underside of the plywood and frost on the nails only over the area I have roof raked and above where my perforated soffit is…

My entire soffit was cut out about 8" wide around the entire house then perforated soffit installed…

My attached garage stays about 50 degs and I have the ceiling above it insulated…why is this happening and should I be concerned ??

And would it help to put foam baffles in between the rafters ?

my ridge vent was covered and I just shoveled it off,I dont think its heat loss because its only on te plywood over the overhang…it was warmer today…33 and its been well below zero the past few days…cold warm air be coming up thru the vented soffit ?

no help/ideas ??

In the time you have been on this site all of this stuff has been covered.

You have frost in the attic because your ventilation system can’t exhaust the moisture for some reason.

I assume you have checked to see if anything is exhausting into the attic space.

Yes rafter baffles would help if the soffit is plugged up but when the ridgevent gets covered with snow its effectiveness is decreased.

Is your attic access adequately sealed?

You need to find the source of the moisture causing the frost.

Check plumbing vents, bathroom vents, kitchen stove vents, and any heater fresh air returns that might be up there… The moisture is getting in from somewhere… though if you have snow just sitting on the roof, there is some possibility of moisture coming from vent melts… If you have crappy air flow you may consider getting a roofing pro out there to give you more venting options, or a home inspector to look things over. you may watch the YouTube video and be an expert, but they do that kind of stuff every day.

AGAIN…over 50ft of ridge vent,full vented soffits…and the frost is ONLY over the area that is overhang,roof is bare bone dry over living space,tons of attic insulation and its sealed up good…Its almost like the days it warms up…warm moist air is coming up tru the vented soffits and hitting the clod roof deck…

If I was loosing heat or moisture from the living area wouldnt the whole roof be frost covered ??? There is a perfect line that ends right at the outside wall…its ONLY over the overhang

[quote=“cvcman”]AGAIN…over 50ft of ridge vent,full vented soffits…and the frost is ONLY over the area that is overhang,roof is bare bone dry over living space,tons of attic insulation and its sealed up good…Its almost like the days it warms up…warm moist air is coming up tru the vented soffits and hitting the clod roof deck…

If I was loosing heat or moisture from the living area wouldnt the whole roof be frost covered ??? There is a perfect line that ends right at the outside wall…its ONLY over the overhang[/quote]

If it is outside what is the problem?

I assume you have open exposed rafters for overhangs otherwise I have to question why are you crawling around in your soffits in the winter.

I was in the attic getting a pc of 2 x 6 that was stored there…not sure what you mean by "exposed rafters but I can see the rafters and the OPEN channel they provide all the way out to the back side of the facshia…

The area with the frost is past the outside wall directly over the vented soffit overhang…even though the frost is past the living area only it is still on the underside of the plywood roof decking…

You can see the light that the cut out vented soffit lets in as well as the light that the vent ridge lets in…

so you see I was NOT crawling around in my soffits…its very easy to see

[quote=“cvcman”]I was in the attic getting a pc of 2 x 6 that was stored there…not sure what you mean by "exposed rafters but I can see the rafters and the OPEN channel they provide all the way out to the back side of the facshia…

The area with the frost is past the outside wall directly over the vented soffit overhang…even though the frost is past the living area only it is still on the underside of the plywood roof decking…

You can see the light that the cut out vented soffit lets in as well as the light that the vent ridge lets in…

so you see I was NOT crawling around in my soffits…its very easy to see[/quote]

You probably have your lights too far above your plants, you need to get the light right down almost touching them.

If the light is up too high it allows the moisture liberated from the plants to escape up into the attic space rather than get burned off from the heat of the lights.

You may need some more air conditioners also, 1000 watt lights put off a lot of heat, they need to be ducted to direct the warm air to where you want it.

People don’t appreciate the amount of moisture plants will give off until they experience it for themselves.

This is the source of the frost in your soffit, I’m certain of it. :smiley:

great help you are…too bad you dont have something better to do than be a wise a$$