HO asking for input from industry on insurance companies

Greetings:

I recently read a 2016 article on “American Family Manipulation of Xactimate Pricing”. Can you guys (and gals) give me an update regarding which insurance companies you are finding to be most/least trustworthy and fair. To me, fair is someone who has reasons for the positions that s/he takes, which reasons are acceptable to an ethical, fair-minded third party observer. A person can be tough but still fair. Thanks.

This is a tough question as there are many moving parts before a general judgement can be fairly stated. Insurance companies are bound to the policy document. It is the adjusters/claims reps who interpret the policy and this interpretation varies between them, which then adds a subjective variable depending upon the adjuster/claims rep. In many cases, scope interpretation is relayed from their field reps, or preferred contractors, which is also subjective. In saying all this, the best insurance company can become the worst if the applied policy obligations are skewed by the varied input data and the personalities from whom this data came. It really is a value judgement based upon the sum of all parts.

I have worked claims where one adjuster was awesome, and yet another adjuster from the same insurance company, was pathetic. Maybe everyone was great but someone along the line dropped the ball and my check didn’t show up for almost 3 months. You get the point.

No useful answer to give you unless you are able to analyze the contributing components of a claim settlement.

2 Likes

This is still helpful. Thank you.

Can I ask you a question about something else in the article? I got the impression that the materials sold by a “big box” store are not always the same as a lumber yard, etc. The example that the article gave was Timberline shingles. Are the shingles sold at a retailer such as Home Depot really different than what you guys (and gals) can buy from your suppliers? If so, is it significant?

Many manufacturers will enter agreements with retailers to accesss broader “direct to consumer” distribution. In some cases they will promote an identical product, commonly sold through contractor wholesalers, under a slightly modified “white label” in an effort to create the perception of exclusivity and avoiding the backlash from their wholesaler network. You’ll see this with Home Depot and Lowe’s, as an example, but not at “Bob’s Hardware and Lumber”. The big box stores offer the benefit of scale whereas Bob’s will offer convenience albeit at a higher price.

Are they different? In most cases there is no difference at all other than maybe the modified label and price point.

I know it was the case as you say.
Not sure it is now.
Its been a couple years now.
Homedepot sold Gaf timberline” natural shadow” which was a lower grade “Timberline”
That wasnt available at our roofing supplier.
Since then it changed to “HD”
Then it changed to “HDZ”
Around here now everyone is just supplying the HDZ.
I dont buy them.
I buy Atlas
Certainteed if i cant get that.
Different plants in different regions have varying levels of quality and appearance.

The GAF plant that supplies southeast Texas is the Ennis plant. Ive never had issues with product from Ennis for durability, but did have a same lot color issue that was promptly addressed and fixed by the GAF rep.
The next plant southeast Texas ships from is Shafter. These shingles are a total different shade and are a do not mix with Texas product. I use both when forced too. I prefer the Shafter, deeper color with contrast, weatheredwood than the Ennis exact same shingle.
For the, i dont know why, Shafter product will be $10 a sq cheaper at times. Go figure.
These two plants seem to deliver the same quality product. I was told years ago, we dont shut the plant down to run a private label shingle. GAF makes one standard in the Natural Shadow and the HDZ. If it misses the mark, they end up in a bone yard with spray paint bundles, carrying, no warranty.
When Lowes sold GAF Timberline, ABC supply delivered to them in my area.