Home Owner Asks-How To Get A Quality Roofing Job?

We are replacing a GAF Timberline 40 roof on a large lakehouse and double boathouse in a four seasons temperate climate. Other than contracting with a reputable roofing company. Can anyone here offer any tips on what to look for in the way of shingle selection (brands) and installation? Felt quality and installation, nails per shingle, ridgecap installation etc.?

Are there any website links on the topic(s) that anyone can recommend?

Thanks for any guidance.

Felt may still be big there but synthetics are more durable, less likely to telegraph wrinkles (never allow staples- only plastic cap nails), Ice & Water on eaves (2’ inside warm wall), also in valleys and around/ along all penetrations.

IMO GAF has the fullest line of products -with the only breathable underlayment I know of- Deck Armor, and might I point out the thickest- something of a softer protection from impact between shingle and roof decking. Impact Resistant shingles are also a great option.

Upgraded Warranty when you use a Certified Installer and a few accessories, Manufacturers in Order :

www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residential/Product … ngles.aspx
www.certainteed.com/products/roofing
roofing.owenscorning.com/
www.atlasroofing.com/general2.php?section_url=1

More on Warranty- the best Warranty comes from GAF Master Elite. Every roof is inspected prior to the Warranty Period begins. That is the best way to ensure a perfect roof.

No matter what shingle you decide- clear directions are on every wrapper.

Obviously 6 nails are better for holding power than 4-
Vent all ridges- I don’t think there is a better looking cap than GAF TimberTex- triple laminate, and needs to be hand nailed with 4- 2" -2 1/2" nails per cap in over ridge vents. You spoke of four seasons, I recommend Snow Country Ridge vent (baffles keep snow from blowing in), virtually identical to Shingle Vent II but back to the one brand of accessories.

Replace all pipe boots, step and to-wall flashing if at all possible.

Oh yes, if you don’t have drip edge- add it. you won’t regret the extra protection uncommon in TN.

[quote=“roofcheck”]Felt may still be big there but synthetics are more durable, less likely to telegraph wrinkles (never allow staples- only plastic cap nails), Ice & Water on eaves (2’ inside warm wall), also in valleys and around/ along all penetrations.

IMO GAF has the fullest line of products -with the only breathable underlayment I know of- Deck Armor, and might I point out the thickest- something of a softer protection from impact between shingle and roof decking. Impact Resistant shingles are also a great option.

Upgraded Warranty when you use a Certified Installer and a few accessories, Manufacturers in Order :

gaf.com/Roofing/Residential/ … ngles.aspx
certainteed.com/products/roofing
roofing.owenscorning.com/
atlasroofing.com/general2.php?section_url=1

More on Warranty- the best Warranty comes from GAF Master Elite. Every roof is inspected prior to the Warranty Period begins. That is the best way to ensure a perfect roof.

No matter what shingle you decide- clear directions are on every wrapper.

Obviously 6 nails are better for holding power than 4-
Vent all ridges- I don’t think there is a better looking cap than GAF TimberTex- triple laminate, and needs to be hand nailed with 4- 2" -2 1/2" nails per cap in over ridge vents. You spoke of four seasons, I recommend Snow Country Ridge vent (baffles keep snow from blowing in), virtually identical to Shingle Vent II but back to the one brand of accessories.

Replace all pipe boots, step and to-wall flashing if at all possible.

Oh yes, if you don’t have drip edge- add it. you won’t regret the extra protection uncommon in TN.[/quote]

roofcheck,

Thank you VERY much for the comprehensive and useful response! You obviously know your business. I’ll probably make my roofer crazy with all the education you have passed on to me. I wish you the best of luck and happiness in life.

I will research Ice & Water and step and to-wall flashing to find out what they are?

Is the deck Armor underlayment a high dollar add-on, I like the idea?

Are the best pipe boots lead, if not what are the best ones?

Thanks again.