How low will people go

Is everyone giving ther work away or are ther just a bunch of unlicensed and uninsured people out there. 210 a square for 30 yr and still getting under cut in n.e. illinois

Ouch $210 for Arch’s? Maybe $210 in 03’,$220+ for 20’s$250+ for 25’s and around $350 for Arch’s.I hit a 6/12 yesterday for $325 for 25’s and they signed.The funny thing about it is 20’s are more $ than 25’s right now.

Once our commodities continue to rise and the gas prices become insane.,perhaps they might be a little more competitive.

I know some have it worse on gas but this is CRAZZZZY.
http://www.roofing.com/images/topics/10754/img_1299210521.jpg
I think its getting a little hairy at the pumps.IMO

Its so bad here in my part of NC Im having to sell 30 yr arch for $185 per square, and even that low Im still getting beat by fly by night jack-legs

Wow,that blows.

yep it does, I gave and estimate on a 22 square up and over today for $175 per square and when I asked the homeowner if my price was close to my other competitor, he said their price was $700 cheaper…unless this company isnt paying their employees I dont understand how this is possible

Gas prices are even worse out here!

http://www.roofing.com/images/topics/10754/img_1299218727.jpg

That’s some crazy pricing. I think it’s $385.00 here, and all the contractpors I know keep raising their prices like I do.
I was ywice as high as several, now they’re right at my pricing for the most part.

I can’t figure out how these guys do it any lower unless they are not using I&W and using old vents. Any lower and I might as well work retail. I would rather sit on a couch then give someone a new roof for less than wages.

So its just now catching up to the rest of the country? I was getting killed here at 198.00/sq 1 layer off and on with bidding with Landmarks over a year ago…Alot of the jobs I bid i would drive by later and they had Malarky’s non AR Highlanders replaced with.

Times are a changing. I now only get $200 for redecks with 3 layer tear-offs. As low as $165-$175 for single layer tear offs. It gets worse: Bid 8 city Jobs last week and went 0 for 8. Winning bids came under my Labor,dump, and Material costs!

How is that possible? I am always the Low Bid! All I can figure is that companies are putting materials on credit cards and will declare bankruptcy. I couldn’t put #2 shingles on at these prices.

One bid was a 35 square redeck with 4 layer tearoff. Winning bid was $5,200. Yes, bottom layer was wood shakes! Rafters were kind of bent and will need to be replaced or adjusted.

I even emailed the city and asked how they could award bids under actual hard costs???

[quote=“famous”]Times are a changing. I now only get $200 for redecks with 3 layer tear-offs. As low as $165-$175 for single layer tear offs. It gets worse: Bid 8 city Jobs last week and went 0 for 8. Winning bids came under my Labor,dump, and Material costs!

How is that possible? I am always the Low Bid! All I can figure is that companies are putting materials on credit cards and will declare bankruptcy. I couldn’t put #2 shingles on at these prices.

One bid was a 35 square redeck with 4 layer tearoff. Winning bid was $5,200. Yes, bottom layer was wood shakes! Rafters were kind of bent and will need to be replaced or adjusted.

I even emailed the city and asked how they could award bids under actual hard costs???[/quote]

You bitching about low pricing? LOL! Hello Pot.

Just a new reality. All must adapt. Competition that sells under hard material and labor costs will not be in business long. I went 0 for 8 this last go around but I suspect I’ll go 2 for 8 or better next time…

[quote=“famous”]Times are a changing.quote]

Here is an alternative.

http://www.roofing.com/images/topics/10754/img_1299305736.jpg[/quote]

Funny. I’ll never get why Adults work retail or restaurants? Hard work and low pay…

Wow. :shock:

It seems like they might be scamming for materials? Identity theft+new charge accounts then a CPU on the materials.Who knows,I might be clawing for a way for it to make some sort of sense.

Arch’s here are $75 for Tamko a little more for CT/OC/GAF/Atlas and a little less for IKO.

At $185 the shingles alone are more than a 1/3 of the price.Jeeeeezz I feel for you.

Famous, if not you, then at least for the people that work for you… get them some Fast Food Applications. Ya’ll need to make minimum wage at least.

20 yrs. ago I was doing re-sheeters for $300 sq. I remember cause that is the only work I ever priced by the sq. And I was on the roof from dawn to dusk. Otherwise I’d been too cheep. I guess I was a low bidder then :cry:

Now to do it, I come up w/ about $800 sq. I don’t get 'em and I don’t want to do them anyway.

I would guess there are many uninsured hacks 'round here gladly doing them here for 300 still.
$200 tho? :smiley: Seriously, go get a fast food job

Gus,

Wait a year or two. You’ll see. Low, low prices are coming to your area as well. Think about it, shingles don’t cost more in your area than mine. The only difference is Labor and Profit between the two. Labor is very portable and companies always seek profit.

IF you are really getting those prices, I wouldn’t ever mention it in public. There are likely a dozen roofing companies moving to your area right now. For $600 a square, I am wondering what kind of house can I buy in Indiana? Good schools? I’ll be a Hoosier fan overnight for $600 per square.

Ponder this Iceland verses Greenland?

Yer prolly right Famous. I am right now looking out my window…and there they are!!!

The reasons that I put an $800 sticker on the windshield of my new model is:
Because of costs. And also, because of costs.
After costs and costs, there is also “Risk and Reward”, also known as some profit.
Did I mention the costs BTW?

As I said the $300 per. sq hacks are uninsured, 1099 tax cheats and have tailight warranties.
My BUSINESS on the other hand, is WORTH EVERY DAMN DOLLAR WE CHARGE.

Not mention it in public? Who am I afraid of? Cheaters? It is their names that should be listed in public along with photographs and prices of their crap work in some Public Wall of Shame.

I’ve stood behind my business and my work and MY CUSTOMERS for 20+ years. And we have gotten BETTER and yes even a little more expensive as we have gotten more THOROUGH.

Even in Indiana you could pay more than what I charge but you WILL NOT get a better job. You can pay a heckuva lot less and take your chances there too. Ultimately my prices are CHEAPER than most due to the COST of OWNERSHIP.

And here is where the roofing “industry” drives over the cliff…these guys are not here to do this work for $600 per sq., let alone $800. They are here to do it for $250.

Since they never had any brains to begin with, I can’t say they left them at home…

And another thing…what wanna be Wal Mart Roofers don’t seem to understand… is that in reality “Wal Mart” sets their prices. Not the Mom & Pop down the street. Not the local regional competetion. Not even Target or K Mart.

Wal Mart sets THEIR price to MAKE MONEY. They actually know what they are doing…and the government subsidies they recieve don’t hurt 'em either. Roofing seems to be an industry people join to LOSE MONEY…either one job at a time, or in bunches

Whadda World

Set your price Famous or as you have seen, it has been set for you :frowning: