How much do you stagger

I just noticed that one of my newer workers shingled almost a whole side while only staggering about 3 inches. some are close to 2 inches i think on the 4/12 pitch.

the 3/12 pitch was staggered around 3 inches. I can hardly belive it happened because it seems crazy to me, but i guess i can’t think like water enough to know it will leak for sure, maybe it’s ok to stagger 2.5 inches. Anybody stagger such small amounts without problems?

I usually stagger about 5 inches and i never have leaks.

what would you say is the bare minimum before you would start tearing shingles up?

thanks

What does the instructions say?..2" thats just stupid. :roll:

Its a very retarded question,but I’ll play along,6" stagger min for sure.If you had to ask maybe roofing is not for you…just saying :shock:

by the way, they were menards biltmore crc 35 year shingles but i don’t think it matters

Why do people try to pick a fight when they don’t know the answer to a question?

i’ve put on thousands of squares. NEVER do they leak (besides a vent or two, or some ice when the customers didn’t want ice guard?), and I’m sure every roof i’ve done had several courses less than 6" maybe even most roofs had courses less than 5. But i certainly never put on anything like this, that’s why I’m asking if somebody has experience on here and would know if this would leak. I’m sure there are people on here who have put on tens of thousands of squares with their businesses and have seen more mistakes and may know how much stagger is truly necessary. Anybody ever see anything like this before?

Every manufacturer has the measurements they want the shingles installed at on the back of the wrapper.

[quote=“we love tearoffs”]Why do people try to pick a fight when they don’t know the answer to a question?

i’ve put on thousands of squares. NEVER do they leak (besides a vent or two, or some ice when the customers didn’t want ice guard?), and I’m sure every roof i’ve done had several courses less than 6" maybe even most roofs had courses less than 5. But i certainly never put on anything like this, that’s why I’m asking if somebody has experience on here and would know if this would leak. I’m sure there are people on here who have put on tens of thousands of squares with their businesses and have seen more mistakes and may know how much stagger is truly necessary. Anybody ever see anything like this before?[/quote]

I’m not trying to pick a fight and I do know the answer…Its done wrong,period.If It was my warranty on the line,I would rip it off and do it right.

Dude not to pick a fight but really if you have to ask this question you need to take a step back and analyze what you are doing on your roofs. EVERY manufacture has specs on row offset and what your cuts should be. According to certainteed, joints should never be closer then 3.5 to each other. As a roofer who prides himself in all his work, if i were the owner of the house that had that improper installation id make you rip it off and redo it.

As one guy has in his tag line on this forum: the instructions are on the packaging!

Now in regards to it leaking: you might get lucky and it wont leak but roofing is not a job where you should be betting on luck. And you cant say youve never had an issue then list them.
And in addition: stagger is also necessary to avoid unsightly patterns or designs forming in the material.

no stagger = no waste.

haha so true! damn the secret of making a profit has been right in front of us this whole time!!!

I think your question is whether it will leak, not is it right according to manufacturer specs. I have seen roofs at 3" stagger that do not leak for the life of the shingles. However, I have not seen a lot of roofs staggered that little. By contrast, I have never seen a roof leak due to a small stagger personally.

We love tearoffs, I understand your question. I think in this case you need to pull it off. If you had a 3" stagger on a 12 pitch I would tell you to leave it and see what happens. But on a 3 or 4 pitch its gonna be trouble. I’d bet on it.

If you haven’t fired him, make the guy who did it fix it. On a Sunday.

6" for us.

How to teach a newbie to cut proper lengths:

Buy him a 6" knife and he can use that to measure EVERY TIME. Tell him you will dock him $1 for every cut shorter than the knife, he’ll learn quick or go hungry.

…read the bag, or hire a professional roofer…just kidding.

[quote=“shangle_nailer”] If you had a 3" stagger on a 12 pitch I would tell you to leave it and see what happens. But on a 3 or 4 pitch its gonna be trouble. I’d bet on it.
[/quote]

I agree 12 pitch would be no problem as far as leaking goes. I really don’t think the 4 pitch will either, and it’s the garage. The 3 pitch I’ll probably go back and alter a little bit.

I appreciate the responses guys.

Truth is, I don’t think very highly of warranties (arent they a joke?) Warranties only really protect the shingle companies as far as I’m concerned and they are way more hassele than what you get back. Anybody have any good experiences with warranties? All I’ve really encountered was people getting ripped off by certainteed.

Anyway, the funny thing is that the owner of the home was a contractor for over 20 years and he asked me if we do anything special for a 3/12 pitch. I should have said, “yeah, we’ll make sure only to stagger about 3 inches on it” Haha, I’ll probably just talk with him about it. I just hate to tear off good shingles if I’m only doing it because of my ocd. I mean, i don’t want to tear it off if I don’t have to.

I like the 6" knife idea but I think that he’s never going to do anything close to this again. I expressed my absolute shock to him yeserday already, and he actually said he’d fix it off the clock (like that’s going to happen, I don’t make people work for free) so anyway, this is causing me greif. It would have been easier to tear off all those shingles than to have gone through what i went through last night. Yes, while you guys were writing all those responses, i was roofing in my sleep like crazy. I must have fixed that roof for hours in my sleep. haha, i’m not even kidding. I just woke up and after roofing all night in my dreams and reading all these responses I’m exhausted (and the roof is still the same way!)

Ha, that roofing in the sleep thing sounds familiar. Just tear it up.

I am roofing a 40 square 3 pitch starting tomorrow (it is a business and they are closed sundays). Double layer felt and hot dip galvanized nails. It is a also a 76 foot long shed roof, so there’s going to be lots of water on it at the bottom.

There was/is a roofer in my area that consistently uses a 2"-3" stagger.

I know this because I have repaired 5 of his roofs in the last 3 yrs.
It is definitely a problem on a 3 - 5 in 12 pitch.
The problems arose when the snow came, and the winterguard didn’t do anything to stop it.

Wow this is very helpful. See, i think most of these are 3"-4", but the worst ones are less, haha

anyway, would you say you are pretty sure that 2-3 inches is acurate, or do you think maybe these roofs you were replacing had several spots less than 2 inches. Or maybe most of them were 3-4 inches and it still leaked.

I’m just curious how confident you are about that quote i quoted, would you say that they really did average somewhere between 2-3 inches?

thanks a lot

[quote=“we love tearoffs”]

Wow this is very helpful. See, i think most of these are 3"-4", but the worst ones are less, haha

anyway, would you say you are pretty sure that 2-3 inches is acurate, or do you think maybe these roofs you were replacing had several spots less than 2 inches. Or maybe most of them were 3-4 inches and it still leaked.

I’m just curious how confident you are about that quote i quoted, would you say that they really did average somewhere between 2-3 inches?

thanks a lot[/quote]

Yes in that roofers case it is very accurate, some where only about an inch.