How to apply architectural shingles

The fellow doing my shingling is getting a good result, but he is applying them as if they were three-tabs. His technique is to put one down, then put the next one down so that the edge of the second is on the mid-line of the first.

The shingle manufacturer calls for staggering; one course of full shingles, the next with 6.5" off, the next with 6.5" + 6.5" off, etc., achieving a stairstep. I’m not too concerned, just curious.

good luck! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the good luck wish - this guy is very confident in his professional technique, and does not tand to want to follow any instructions provided by the manufacturers of the products. One aspect that is concerning is that he had never encountered Cobra vent or anything like it, only having seen metal ridge vent.

I think someone is playing a practical joke on us with these posts.

Good one.

Buddy, you need to use your gut instinct/common sense! If he doesnt follow the instructions on the friggin wrapper, then YOU most likely will have no warranty from the manufacturer./It sounds to me he is racking the shingle? If so, will look like crap. Thats why I say good luck, because you refuse to use a legitamate roofer, trying to save a buck

Let me see, the “roofer” has never seen any ridge vent other than some metal stuff, and he ignores manufacturers installation recommendations?

You’re toast.

Yes, he is doing it wrong. ’

GAF has a nice short video on the subject:
http://www.gaf.com/training/ROOFING-VIDEOS/The-Problem-With-Racking.html

I also find that with any shingle, it is better to keep as long a horizontal distance as possible between the top course and bottom course in order to enable the slight height adjustments that are needed while shingling. When you run straight up, you remove this possibility and if you go off at all, or the roof edge changes, or you have to go around a large obstacle, running straight up the roof makes it impossible to make the necessary adjustments without major visual flaws.

Racking is not allowed in my company.

[quote=“roofrite”]I think someone is playing a practical joke on us with these posts.

Good one.[/quote]

me too

How funny, someone who hires a contractor that knows nothing or wants to learn anything and even after knowing this still pays for it…?

dude, what’s up with this roof of yours? seems like you have been here way to long to do 24sqs. every post you have sounds like you’re getting screwed. now your roofer is putting the shingles on wrong(roofer part in question). they have the directions on the wrapper. there for a reason. try reading them and get your shit together. call me when it leaks.

might want to check where the nails are also. everything else has been wrong, that probably is too.

I agree w/ Agape

:cry:

I have just registered, and found this post right away. I am a homeowner.

Since it concernes the issue I am now faced with -(racking Timberline Prestique 30 year shingles, creating ugly zipper-like patterning) - may I ask questions on this thread, or should I start a new thread?

I need some input as quickly as anyone can provide it, since the roofer is pressuring me…

I will explain more after being told whether to do so here, or on a new thread.

TY in advance.

:?:

What exactly are you looking for? Racking is not a recommended method and should not be used for installing architectual shingles.

So, it’s OK to ask my questions on this thread? :?:

Sure - Go ahead.

I composed a long post to give the entire background story. But I will not tell the whole story, unless needed.

For now, I just want your opinions on “what now”.

I want to state up front that I am not the “average” customer, in that I MORE than did my homework prior to contracting for this roof…WAY more than just about any woman I know, would do.

Neither am I the “type” of customer who goes for the “lowest bid”. I, in fact, went for the second highest bid (out of 5 bids), which was the amount of my insurance adjustments, plus the cost of the Prestiques, plus my deductible.

He now admits that the pattern is wrong, even though he denies his crew installed them incorrectly.

He wants to tear into the roof to selectively replace shingles to try to “correct” the patterning issue.

Based on my reasearch (including here on this forum), it would be a more reasonable agreement if he would give me at least a discount off the price of the upgraded shingle, rather than tearing into a perfectly funcional new roof.

In addition, for reasons I will not bore you with, I simply cannot deal with more disruption of more work being done, especially given that he already messed up the initial installation. I feel NO confidence that he might not just make things worse, and I cannot handle any more stress.

I guess I want you guys’ input as to whether you agree that it would be reasonable for him to just give me a discount on the cost of the Prestiques, and call it a day.

Otherwise, I guess I have no choice but to tell him to come get his check for the full amount, and go on to his next customers.

He is wanting to come tomorrow morning to begin the repair, despite my already having told him I don’t want him tearing into the roof again.

:frowning:

Well what would be wrong with him fixing an error? Sounds pretty straight up to me.

I am pretty sure he would dis-assemble the roof, and not “tear into” it.

***“Well what would be wrong with him fixing an error? Sounds pretty straight up to me.” ***

That question tells me that you did not read my entire post. If you had, you would know that the answer to your question was in my post.

That means you probably didn’t read the longer post from the thread I started.

It’s OK.

You’re correct, I had not read it in the otheer thread at the time.