How to Fix Raw Exposed OSB Installed in New Roof Undereaves

A new composition shingle roof was installed. When the building inspector looked at the under eave areas, a 2 to 4 inch strip of raw exposed OSB sheathing was visible/discovered and runs along the entire length of house front and back under eaves. Before the new roof was installed, the undereave area was a solidly built tongue and groove condition. As a result, our brand new roof failed to get a final building inspection pass. The roofer states it is no problem and “No Worries.” He said it is fine as is. However, the fact is Norbord Trubord is not designed to be a raw exposed part of any roof system and all my research states that OSB Exposure 1 is never intended to be continually and permanently exposed to the elements and moisture, etc. What do we do now to fix the root cause of the roofer’s workmanship error? Tear off roof and OSB sheathing and install OSB sheathing again correctly? Have a contractor do something to close the 2 to 4 inch strip of OSB exposed among the entire under eaves? Roofer told us to slap a coat of paint on it but this is a temporary, substandard solution to a serious permanent problem. We don’t want raw, exposed OSB in our under eaves just because we had a new roof installed. The OSB will get wet/moist, warp, disintegrate, telegraph to shingles, get moldy/fungal, and be termite food, etc., so this mistake needs to be fixed. What is the best permanent fix? How do I get roofer to take responsibility for this repair?

I can’t post photo here. The roof undereave is quality-built tongue and groove. When the new roof was installed a two inch open gap was created between the tongue and groove wood at the outer most edge of the roof, next to the gutter. In this new 2-inch wide open gap, you can see the raw OSB sheathing above the gap. What is best way to repair/close the gap to restore tongue and groove configuration which would then also cover up/seal the raw exposed OSB? Norbord says that Exposure 1 Trubord must not be installed/used where it will be continuously exposed to weather and moisture.

We are going to need a picture of this issue.

You have exposed tongue & groove eaves and for some reason osb is showing through the tongue & groove?

I can’t figure out how to post a photo here. I have added more description of the roofing issue. Thank you for your help and repair advice.

You can use Imgur.com to post pictures

You would be doing the roof harm by trying to deal with this…
How is this exposed to moisture if it’s only seen from the under side of the roof?
It’s not, it’s going to stay dry.
You should paint it just like you were told.
You would have had to paint anyway even if exact Likeness of wood was used…
He’s not a painter. He’s a roofer.

You’re concerned he didn’t use the 1x T&G
That is what I would have used.
But to remove it now when it is doing the job and will not fail, you would be counter productive…to put it lightly.

Then again if the final inspection failed because of this( highly doubtful)
Than the roofer has no choice but to comply with however the city wants it corrected.

OSB being used as roof sheathing is normal, aluminum soffits are most commonly used to cover this. Perforated soffit allows air flow through the attic meaning air and moisture will come in contact with most roofs OSB. I explained that because what you have “exposed” is no different other than you have no aluminum soffit to cover that area. If you are truly unhappy have the roofing company come back, remove the first course of shingles and install a tongue and groove board or pine/cedar 1x3. If the roofer knows what he is doing this fix should be no problem, it will on the other hand, be something that will take some time hence him trying to not come back IMO. Either way you will need to paint what is there, no wood should be left raw.
I am finding it hard to believe that, what your roofer did, would fail inspection but I have no reason to not believe you. Since it failed he has to fix it to what the inspector says or what code says.
I repair roofs everyday, it’s my job. A repair done correctly will not affect the integrity of your roof system. Don’t panic, be calm and have a conversation with the roofing company you hired. Let him know you want it fixed, hold strong to that. This should be a customer service issue from the company.
Good luck

Thank you for your information, time, and very good, helpful advice. I hear what you are saying. What the roofer/installation crew did when installing the OSB, did cause the roof to fail final inspection. It put the customer/homeowner in a bad situation. It looks like the answer is to add a tongue and groove board which will cover the exposed, raw OSB, then paint the wood. All of this would have been unnecessary but for the roofer being in a haste makes waste situation, too busy running around doing quotes and multiple other roof jobs instead of supervising installation of one roof at a time and properly training the installers. I have learned that there are roofing businessmen and roofing craftsmen. Now the roofer needs to step up to the plate and complete the repair so it passes final City inspection and is weather proof. Anyway, God bless us all, roofers and customers as Winter is here!