How to properly nail last shingle in dutch gable hip?

how do you secure the last shingle near the fascia board so that it doesn’t leak?

I see that the right side of the shingle is tucked under the main body of shingles.
How is the other side secured?
roofing cement?[attachment=0]hip2.jpg[/attachment]

Usually there is an apron.Fasten the shingle under the apron.Roofing cement is for sealing not usually to take the place of a fastener with shingles.

But if no apron is available put as much of that ridge cap as possible under the fascia.Then fasten and seal the nail head.

Something I do from time to time is take a 1x12",put it flat on the new roof.Use a tear off spade that has a back and have someone lift the fascia slightly while you insert the ridge cap.

Ah, the technical term here is Fanagle!

From what I see of this picture you have more issues that require a greater attention. I see that radius vent or whatever and actually both. The one to the right is a leaker from what I see. The left one is a close second.

Drive a nail through any area of the field and walk away. From what I see, these two items will cause leaks first. Now you can blame the nail.

Unless some serious underlayment was installed like a peel and stick, you have major issues and leak issues. Just my opinion.

How did you come to that conclusion?

Also why would you want to blame the nail?

[quote=“rickengie”]From what I see of this picture you have more issues that require a greater attention. I see that radius vent or whatever and actually both. The one to the right is a leaker from what I see. The left one is a close second.

Drive a nail through any area of the field and walk away. From what I see, these two items will cause leaks first. Now you can blame the nail.

Unless some serious underlayment was installed like a peel and stick, you have major issues and leak issues. Just my opinion.[/quote]

:shock:

Look at pic and see problem!

I may be a flat roofer now. I know sloped roofs. I know how water works.

Anyone responding should address how these vents are flashed and forget the last nail described in this posted picture as a problem!

I know the nail isn’t a big issue rick. What about the vents?

Give me a close up picture and i will say more. If no one seems concerned with those and are looking at your nail…gotta wonder who is here?

explain…this is not an answer…this is something someone without a f’n clue would say… :roll: …so yup gotta wonder…

Both vents and I am assuming they are both vents, have flanges. As the water runs around them and this flange, it will eventually go under the shingles and especially on the one to the right!

Problem is, we can’t see the details of how that flange was handled Rickie. That’s why I’m mum about it. Done right, they don’t leak.

This roof is old enough that though there have been no reported leaks, but the cap have deteriorated. No other issues to my knowledge. This post is a follow up from an earlier post by the OP some time back.

Never saw it tinnie

If I remember correctly, HO expected a warranty issue. Seems the roofer used some cheap shingles for the cap and when the manufacturer pointed that out, they walked away. I believe the roofer??? walked away too, so now the HO is fixing it himself.

I believe there is more to the story and maybe back to my origional statement. It is what it is. I see problems at those vents.

You could be right. I dunno. :smiley:

I’m with Roofmaster’s choice-Fasten the shingle under the apron.

But if no apron is available put as much of that ridge cap as possible under the fascia.Then fasten and seal the nail head or use a flat bar to lift the fascia slightly while you insert the ridge cap.