How to tarp properly

house is 25 x 60.

Bought one 20 x 40 heavy duty tarp. Ordered 1 x 3’s and will attach it on one end up the front and back with drywall screws,

Putting it on one end will allow me to cover one section of the roof that is leaking. Wood attaching will be fine on the roof, what is the best way to secure the other edges where they will hang over the front back and one side?

Do you just weight it down or hang something off it or is it preferred to put it up and attach in the soffit area.

If I can peel it back then I can do the ice and water, drip edge and tar up to the top then re tarp and if I can tarp right then stop the leaking right away which I need to do.

Thanks,

Warren

The way i do it is have a tarp the right size for the job. Go buy one that is the size of your roof and use bundles to secure the tarp down. I know its alot of moving of the bumdles but it does not damage the tarp and it holds it down just fine.

Warren, what are you trying to do?

How long are you trying to tarp your roof for, and is your tarp canvas or plastic? What is the slope of your roof?

warren,
are you in new orleans?

of Toronto Canada.

Have to reshingle, 3 tabs are shot and should have been done two years ago leaking and has been for a bit at least. I can see staining on the roof boards from inside.

Have peeled the insulation back so the racters are no longer plugged and put the roof mates in each rafter space.

Facia is off half the home which is not ideal but it is pulling air though now and that is good to dry up a bit, have a radio on to keep critters out and am starting the facia. I just keep finding stuff.

They did not continue the hip boards to the corner of the home or rather the boards they used were too short so facia and roof boards are floating in the air on each corner. MOre stuff to fix. Lots of learning though this process.

Have made all new facia as a bunch of it was rotted cause last owner did it himself and had too much pride to ask or research doing it right.

I am going to hire a roofer not sure which one yet, spoken with a few.

The tarp I purchased is not canvas but it is not one of the cheap blue ones, it is the heavy duty green type used on farms, will have to check wha5t materials it is.

Even now if I covered the roof at least I could stop more from leaking in.
Time is running tou but going to get to it shortly.

If I did the ice and water tar etc on each en6t to start and then tapred over top for a few weeks is that a bad idea?

If I could get this roofer here I can strip and if we did the cover and had decided on which shingle we could do it in sections.

I think I am going with Certainteed but have to get him here to talk about the different models.

Thanks,

Warren

florida roofing is not a bad model to go by no matterhow you calculate it.

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you want to cover the roof deck with ice & water shield where the tarp doesn’t reach. That is fine for short term, but ice & water shield doesn’t hold up to UV very well long-term. As for securing your tarp, if you are going to leave it on long-term you will want to use furring strips or something similar to batten down the tarp. Of course, that is assuming you can’t use weight on the tarp to keep it down without running the risk of losing the tarp and weight to gravity. Beneath the furring strips, where you are going to puncture the tarp with nails, apply a bead of sealant or mastic so the nail penetrations are sealed. You want to batten down the tarp along the edges, and run the battens with the slope so they don’t impede drainage. Naturally, you will be ruining your tarp for any future use, but I’m assuming you are talking about putting the tarp on your roof and leaving it for a few weeks.

Am I understanding your intentions correctly?

That is basically it.

It is leaking inside, now it is worse cause I took out the wet cellulouse and it was absorbing water that was leaking in.

I figured do an end, ice and water, drip edge, tar to the top, do the other end as they are small and it is a start. Tarp both with a heavy duty tarp and there is some protection as I get organized.

Part of the thing is that as I put the new facia on and have started the old shingles are in the way, so I took strips of wood and slipped them under the rotten shingles on there to hold them up. Once the facia is on I still have a concern as some of the shingles are so rotten and some were put on wrong with not enough overhang that water will run in behind the facia and would prefer not after having put all the time into the facia.

THanks,

Warren