I need to replace lower part of my shingled roof. Advice?

I have a 10 year old architectural shingled roof in Florida. I want to remove the lower part of the roof where it joins an attached porch. The contractor did not push his flashing up far enough under the original shingles and I have some leaks coming in between the house roof and the porch roof.
This brings me to my question. I need to remove the lower two feet of shingles and replace them. I have the process down and I know I can do it, but I have questions that only a roofer can answer.
The shingles in Florida get very hot in summer months and they bond together. Prying then apart without doing too much damage is a trick. Can someone tell me if I need to get a hot air blower and heat the roof to make this go easier, or is there another way?
I already know that I have to locate the same type and color of shingle, but that should be the easy part.
I want to do this in these cooler months as the roof in no place to be in the summer.

Thanks for any tips on making my job go easier. Joe

Hi,

Just the opposite, make it colder.

Lots of finesse!
One thing that has worked for me is to use a small propane torch to heat a rounded mod-bit trowel and ease it through the seal strip. Care has to be taken to NOT slice it through the shingle itself.

In the summer ive used ice.

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

Just the opposite, make it colder.[/quote]

Thanks, that makes sense. I should have realized that they will have a better chance of cracking apart if they are cold. I will use 5 gallong buckest of ice water and chille each section where I need to make a clean break. I will get a blunt edged trowel to help in the process.
The other part is to remove the nails from the top row so it can be lifted and the new shingles can be inserted.

Next, for me to get the identical shingle, will I have to remove one and go to a roofing supply, or could a Home Dipo get it for me?

You want a roofing supply as Bradco that handles more then one brand.Home Depot will not have anything that matchs unless its a gaf shingle.

Thank you, and happy holidays to the group.

Joe

[quote=“tinner666”]Lots of finesse!
One thing that has worked for me is to use a small propane torch to heat a rounded mod-bit trowel and ease it through the seal strip. Care has to be taken to NOT slice it through the shingle itself.[/quote]

Tinner I have been doing exactly as you described when carrying out repairs or installing new vents etc. I find it works well.

Tinner is a wiseman !!!

Good luck completing his project on our own. Please be safe and review some roofing safety tips before you tackle your project.