IB Single Ply FlatRoof

Having hot modified bitumen roof removed and replaced with IB single ply roof system on 6.00SQ section. Proposal was for $3,000. If I had replaced with the same hot modified bitumen roof, the proposal was $1,456. Does this seem reasonable? Thanks.

It’s almost impossible to quote prices here because it varies so much depending on your locale. Get more than one quote from local roofers and compare if you want to see if a price is reasonable or not.

Please explain your motto - “roofers under achievers”.
So far, I find the workers doing very hard work, under extremely difficult conditions, and in most cases, immigrants getting very little of the profit. Seems to me like the companies are making huge profits.

“Please explain your motto - “roofers under achievers”.”

It’s not a motto, it’s a signature. It’s also pretty self explanitory.

So far, I find the workers doing very hard work, under extremely difficult conditions

Welcome to the last 15yrs of my life. What’s your point?

and in most cases, immigrants getting very little of the profit.

I’m caucasian. Roofing hasn’t made me rich either. You’re still not making a point.

Seems to me like the companies are making huge profits.

This is what all buisnesses attempt to do, individuals too. A well run company will make large profits…

You came here for advice and got it, now shoo, the adults are talking.

Appreciate your earlier advice, but everyone knows prices vary by locale. After 15 years doing roofing, are you an underachiever? You are not if you are one of the best at what you do. So what’s your point? It’s obvious you have too much time on your hands, if you can post so often. I only post when I have a legitimate question or can offer genuine help… Thanks anyway.

Appreciate your earlier advice, but everyone knows prices vary by locale.

Then why did you ask?

After 15 years doing roofing, are you an underachiever? You are not if you are one of the best at what you do.

You’re wrong. Even being the world’s best roofer you may posess the potential to help develop a cure for cancer or invent a viable clean form of energy. Please see ‘underachiever’ in the dictionary if you need more clarification.

It’s obvious you have too much time on your hands, if you can post so often.

Probably takes me all of 1-2 mins tops to make an average post and that’s if I need to log in to do it. I can use all ten digits to type, weeeeeee.

I only post when I have a legitimate question or can offer genuine help… Thanks

Never seen you offer any help here but if you did reach around and give yourself a good pat on the back with my blessing.

Philrob $3000 for a 6 sq. tear off and single ply install is reasonable. Depending on the details I have seen it much higher. The price for the modified is kind of low.I would suggest you invest in the single ply. It will last much longer.You will get what you pay for.

Thanks Abraham, very helpful. Feel better about it now. Appreciate your time.

Philrob,
I highly recommend IB, it is actually the only membrane we would install, i absolutely love it, and i can 100% depend on it.
we’ve done many jobs using IB, including industrial roofs that constantly have ponding water. I will not use anything else for a flat roof.
As for the price, with a tear off of mod-bitumen… it is cheap, at least here in MA it would be like double the price :slight_smile: … you do however have a lot of cheap labor down there, whereas here labor is much more expensive (especially for systems like IB, where you need to know what you are doing - it’s not nailing down shingles) and also the equipment for installing IB is VERY expensive ( i mean thousands of dollars just for tools)

Good luck, and know that IB will be the las roof you are going to install!
(btw, all IB installers must be certified before the can buy the product)

I like modified, but that modified price is about half what I would have to charge, and the IB is better.

Thanks again people, very interesting and helpful. IB roof is complete and looks good. Have noticed one problem - we have had lots of rain here in TX last few weeks, and noticed that water running off IB roof, runs down the facia. This is because there is very little lip on the plastic drip edge they used, and unlike the pitched roof, where the facia is angled back, the facia here is straight down. Any remedy for that? Thanks again.

its called a gutter

ditto mr lincohn for the most part.
mr philrob.
im one of the most knowledgable members here
who has pretty much seen it all, highly respected
here at roofing.com.

2 things.

1. did you just tell us you passed on two torchdown
    roofs, for the price of one of theese IB roofs?

2. what in the hell is IB???

gweedo

PVC CPA. dee dee deee :smiley:

I love it, the story of my life… 8)

Have gutter. The water is passing down the drip edge and onto the facia (between gutter and facia.) Cannot bring the gutter any closer to the facia. Was thinking that there might be a product that would tuck under the plastic drip edge, and had a lip to direct the water into the gutter.

Hi,

Yes, it is called strip flashing.

Was the gutter exisiting? If so the roofing contractor should have taken care of this. If not, it is the gutter guy’s responsiblity.

the gutter/ fascia problem has nothing to do with the roofing system. Alcoa makes a fascia apron that the gutter snaps into, that can be slid under the IB edging detail, either that or, remove gutter, cover fascia with coil stock, and re-attach gutter after applying a good bead of sealant behind the gutter, near the top.
The alcoa design is the most professional though.
David

Indeed, $3000 is a very reasonable price for IB single ply membrane roof provided that you get quality installation. Keep in mind that IB roof is only as good as the quality of seams on the roof. The seams are hot air wellded, bonding the rolls of IB membrane together.

Make sure that your installer is skilled and experienced at installing IB roofing product, and if he is, then you are in good shape

lol you should get more bids. Some companies charge a lot for labor and some a lot for material. My company for example has a 50% mark up on material and charge 65$ an hour for labor. Some companies charge 80% mark up on material and 30$ an hour for labor. What you need to do with a small roof is find a company that charges more for labor like mine, you will save money. Just research the company! In Kansas city theres about 700 roofers and I would only recommend 5 outside of my own to someone. Think about that.