Ice and water shield in valleys only?

I have noticed that the roofs being replaced primarily due to insurance claims in the area all the contractors typically are putting ice and water shield only in the valleys only (not on the eaves); the insurance scope does not call for any ice and water and I am guessing this is cheap insurance for the installers. Just curious if this is typical practice?

The practice of when and where to install waterproof membranes, such as Ice and water, is dictated firstly by local building code requirements and secondly by contractor preference. You will get plenty of answers here based on the preference of the installer, but what you need to know before you can fairly criticize, is whether it is indeed required. For that, it would be helpful if you specify your general locale and then someone who works in your region might chime in on what the minimum requirements are.

Yes, the reason is it is cheaper than valley metal and it is accepted.
I dont like it but most seem to be doing it.

If you don’t have snow and ice dams then you don’t necessarily need ice and water on the eaves. Valleys it makes more sense to always do so for an extra layer or protection should there be a leak in the valley.

1 Like

We 2 ply the underlayment in the valley
Then we install 26 g valley metal.
Then we roofing cement both sides of the valley metal before we shingle it.
Its not required, but that is what we do extra.

Thanks for the replies.

Makes sense. I am in NC and I was just curious since most contractors do the valleys only but I read on one contractor’s website they also do the eaves. We do get some snow but nothing like up north.

I already had a leak in a valley towards the eave…ice and water supposedly done correctly (reference my other post, still dealing with the water damage a month later). Apparently the cool weather did not allow shingles to seal and a small amount of snow we got backed up water in the valley (what I was told). It was corrected by adding a sandwich of ice and water and flashing along with changing the weave in that valley to a California cut…

I used to run 24" aluminum, 18" 90#upside down, then 36" 90# right side up, and double cut the valleys.

IWS in valley’s is code. In NC, code does not require it on the eaves. Valley metal or Rolled Roofing may also be installed in the valleys to comply with code.

That is how we did it when I first started.

There are a few of those 30 year old roofs still in service!