Ice guard code

Does anyone know what is code (standard/‘have-to’) for ice guard in Summit County, Ohio??

Ooooh There must’ve been a hailstorm there

in NY its 24" inside of a warm wall…cant imagine it being much different there

same as NY in Ma. that is why we always do a min of 6’ up from eaves. In many cases three feet is insufficient. Were doing a job now that we spec for 9’ beacause of a large overhang.

Not sure exactly what the code is, but what’s good for NY and Ma should be good enough for Summit Cty. They don’t get nearly as much snow.

What’s important is that it is installed correctly, in the right area’s, for the right reasons.

Yeah, big hailstorm recently.

Yeah, there was a hail storm here about a month ago and we have insurance companies not trying to replace the ice guard and my husband knows that it is code to have it. Thanks

No reason for idle speculation. Call and ask your local building dept.

I would do as Tar Monkey said. Call and check. It sounds like 24" is the norm. In Alaska that is code.


3’up from eaves is standard for most cities and i think 1’ from walls, plus here in summit county the code goes by state and local city codes. city trumps state. like Cuyahoga falls has stricter guidelines then Ohio.
Quote from Cuy. Falls below.

As the City of Cuyahoga Falls is in a severe climate zone for ice and snow Section 905.2.7.1 of the Ohio Residential Codes shall be followed. This section requires that either two layers of underlayment cemented together or a self-adhering polymer modified bitumen sheet shall be used in lieu of normal underlayment and extend from the eave’s edge to a point at least 24 inches inside the exterior wall line of the building. (Effective 04/01/05)

It is required in Akron Ohio, and unless you have it existing on the house, or code upgardes are included in your policy State Farm won’t pay becuase they don’t owe you for it. You will have to pay additional to meet your local code. Side note: drip edge is also required in Akron.

Do you have a professional roofing contractor assisting you on this? If so, they should be able to explain code AND properly negotiate the cost for this (& other required components) with your insurer.

As a sidebar, what insurance co. do you have?