Ice shield or not?

The guy that is going to roof my house says that he uses flashing in the valley’s and not ice / water shield - is that good? He told me that if you know how to roof then you don’t need to use it…?

Also he uses GAF Cobra Rigid vent and I read that Air Vent2 is better but they look almost the same other than a piece of fiberglass on the bottom side of the Air Vent. I thing he likes GAF because they have nails already on the vent so it is less hassle.

Cobra ridge vent is ok.
As far as the valley goes, I’m certain in this day and age manufacturers installation guidelines require use of water and ice in a valley. Even if he uses an open metal valley, they still want W&I underneath. It’s a good idea in my opinion. It may void your manufacturers warrantee if he doesn’t use it.

What brand is the best, or is it pretty much the same? He told me that if I buy it he will install it. I seen Owens Corning at Lowes but I did not see any at the Home Depot. I am going with the GAF-Elk
Timberline® Prestique® 30 High Definition® Roofing Shingles.

ice & water shield is recommended by the manufactures in the valleys, but not required. it will not void your warranty either way.

You probably don’t need Ice & Water shield in Georgia at all.
Unless it is required by code.

I like to use in in valleys even though it’s not always required.

Tinner and underlayment?He don’t need no stinkin underlayment! :smiley:

Tinner and underlayment?He don’t need no stinkin underlayment! :stuck_out_tongue:

I was expecting that from somebody! :smiley:

For the OP, I use it. I don’t rely on it.

I knew that hit was coming! Thanks John. :smiley:

[quote=“tinner666”]Tinner and underlayment?He don’t need no stinkin underlayment! :stuck_out_tongue:

I was expecting that from somebody! :smiley:

For the OP, I use it. I don’t rely on it.

I knew that hit was coming! Thanks John. :D[/quote]

ditto Ax,

hurt nothin puttin it in, doesnt.
make alot of people happy puttin in, does.

gweedo.

Just use it. Have had folks that still want the flash AND the W&I) I give it to them, but dont really suffer problems in the valleys I build and one of the reasons I believe is the W&I. Its good insurance all around and stands well on it’s own. Stay away from Georgia Pacifc’s version, but other than that, all the other different brands (and I have tried them all I think) have good baseline performance. I am partial to the Tamko or GAF if you dint want to pay the uptown pricing for the original Granndaddy, Grace Corp. (VERY good performance). Good cheap version that I have found is Henry’s Eaveguard if it is available in your area.

Thanks for the info. I think I will use GAF if I can find it (don’t know if the distributors will sell it to me being that I am not a roofer?)

that grace stuff is some hardcore stuff not cheap but it works great – you dont need it in the valleys just flashing and a good shingle job it wont leak – i like weaving my valleys i personally like the look and ive NEVER had a leaki complaint

:twisted:

A good roofer could of course get away with a lot of things, but it does make good common sence to use it in a critical area like a vally. we always do and have for years. It pays to do things overkill on somthing as important as your roof.