Ice/water shield in Montana

is anyone aware of any code that exists for ice/water shield in Montana???

Why would you not want to use it?

Because tar paper still works! Some people think that I&W is the “cure all elixir” for roofing, until they have to tear it off.

I doubt there would be a building code requiring I&W (that’s not to say there isn’t one), most building codes refer back to manufacturer installation methods. Best thing is to call your local city hall, they will know, or know where to look (hopefully lol).

[quote=“bcdemon”]

Because tar paper still works! Some people think that I&W is the “cure all elixir” for roofing, until they have to tear it off.

**I doubt there would be a building code requiring I&W **(that’s not to say there isn’t one), most building codes refer back to manufacturer installation methods. Best thing is to call your local city hall, they will know, or know where to look (hopefully lol).[/quote]

In Michigan we are required by code to install Ice & Water shield on all heated eaves 2’ beyond the interior wall line, I suspect Montana is the same.

If you have a genuine need for ice & water shield (like annual ice damming) it is important to use non-corrosive nails.
The standard electro-galvanized coil roofing nails we all use are not non-corrosive, they will rust out and create a leak in persistent ice damming situations.