Ideas?

I have 48" x 24"" stainless steal awning that obviously was custom made (no HomeDepot here). It needs to be replaced, Who would you use?
A metal fabricator? Geez, how much will that cost?
It’s going to be a supplemental.

Ideas?

[quote=“Ironmen”]I have 48" x 24"" stainless steal awning that obviously was custom made (no HomeDepot here). It needs to be replaced, Who would you use?

Ideas?[/quote]

Go to a local sheet metal shop.
It’s gonna be pricey.

Just a thought I had today. Maybe I’m crazy but…

Would it be a logical thought to take it to an auto body shop that handles dent repair? Maybe I’d get a better price? I’m not in the auto body business, but can’t they beat it out?

Obviously, compromising quality is not an option, would this be compromising quality?

Like I said just fishing for ideas…

I grew up in a body shop. How is Bondo going to work? Gotta paint it. Not even sure it would stick to stainless. Stainless is a different breed.

You never said what is wrong with it.

Oh, sorry! We had HUGE hail ( and I mean HUGE) here, and it was just pummeled. I wasn’t suggesting bondo, I was thinking they maybe could hammer it out.

I guess I have no other option but to take it to a metal fabricator, get the estimate, and submit it to the insurance.

I just didn’t want the hassle of explaining why something seemingly so insignificant, costs so much.

sigh it’s what we do though, sometimes, huh?

On a lighter note, I was on a roof today that had such a gorgeous view of a valley below. It’s times like that, I am reminded of how much I love my job. You guys would’ve loved it…

Hammering out metal is also weakening it. Not sure of gauge of this. Are you able to invert it onto something? A body shop uses a dolly or iron plate on one side and the hammer on the other. A lot of skill on where the hammer is used. It will stretch the metal. It will warp easier in heat.

[quote=“Ironmen”]I have 48" x 24"" stainless steal awning that obviously was custom made (no HomeDepot here). It needs to be replaced, Who would you use?

Ideas?[/quote]

I will quote from the State Farm policy.

“We will pay the cost to repair or replace with similar construction and for the same use on the premises shown in the Declarations, the damaged part of the property covered under Section I-Coverages.”

What you are describing is not a repairable item, therefore replacement with similar (which means the same or as close to the same as possible) construction. Therefore, if you can find a blacksmith or metalsmith that can make you an identical one then that is what you do.

The homeowner does not have to settle for a lesser quality item. If it costs 10 x’s more than a cheap Home Depot version, then it costs 10 x’s more. That’s what similar construction means. It is what it is.

I agree with dstew. If you haven’t had the Adjuster meeting yet, I’d find a fabricator that can handle stainless and get a bid for a replacement. Put that into your estimate. If you’re using Xactimate, I think that would be RFG bid and then you put in the price. Show the Adjuster your bid, I’d rather try to get this approved upfront than delaying things by doing it as a supplement later.

Awesome, all of it…