Installation of FABRAL residential roof

Here’s the story: We decided to have a new roof installed on the home we purchased a few months ago because an independent home inspector told us our current roof “must be at least 15-20 years old, possibly the original roof from 1974 and was in bad shape” in his opinion, although he saw no leaks. . . Anyways, following his report , I had 2 bids from 2 different contractors for asphalt shingles and both bids included removing the old shingles to ensure that the wood underneath is in good condition prior to laying the new materials/shingles etc and that they would be replacing any bad wood if necessary… Well, a 3rd contractor (friend of the family) bid lower and also mentioned that he could even do a FABRAL metal roof for just a few hundred dollars more. So I told him we would like a metal roof instead. Well, he sent me a bid for the metal roof and it stated: “Will install metal roof to home-Homeowner choice of color: tan-Ice guard wherever needed-Install new boots where needed-Haul all debris to local landfill.” I noticed it didn’t mention replacing any old wood if necessary like my other bids had included, so I contacted the contractor and asked why that wasn’t mentioned in their bid and he told me that he wouldn’t be removing the old shingles because he didn’t “do it that wayâ€Â

First and foremost, don’t do business with friends.

Second, you don’t install metal roofs over shingle roofs.

Third, go back to dealing with the other contractors.

Fourth, if you let your friend install metal over the shingles on your house, you deserve everything that you get.

Good luck.

The one who said " we dont do it thatway" get rid of,find a REAL roofer and YES tear off old,no matter if its shingles or metal.

First off, like has already been stated, tear the old shingles off. If he goes over the shingles with metal The problem will range from: “Bumpy metal”( the metal with have humps in it from the shingles under it), Shorter life span of metal( Think of the shingles as sand paper and you are rubbin a piece of metal over it for years, Yes the metal gets screwed down but with the expansion and contraction of the metal it can eat away at the metal over the years, later on in life the metal will start rusting from the bottom side up), condensation problems.
Second, most the time a good metal roof will cost more than a good shingle roof. So check the gauge of the metal he wants to install. 26 or better. He may be trying to sell you an inferior metal.
Third and most important, Stay away from family and friends for contractors.

Is he installing directly to the shingles or will he add horizontal wood strips to be fastened to. It’s common up north to install wood strips and exposed fastened roof panels for a cheap roof that will outlast shingles. While it’s not the best practice, if you have no leaks and no soft spots are noticed when walking the roof it can be done. If he’s slightly higher than the contractors offering to tear off and shingle I think either he’s high priced or they’re cheap. As I said its usually done as a cheap yet functional roof. That’s if the steel is an exposed fastened panel. I believe it is as Fleet-Farm carries it in 29gauge in our area.

[quote=“rooferwill”]First off, like has already been stated, tear the old shingles off. If he goes over the shingles with metal The problem will range from: “Bumpy metal”( the metal with have humps in it from the shingles under it), Shorter life span of metal( Think of the shingles as sand paper and you are rubbin a piece of metal over it for years, Yes the metal gets screwed down but with the expansion and contraction of the metal it can eat away at the metal over the years, later on in life the metal will start rusting from the bottom side up), condensation problems.
Second, most the time a good metal roof will cost more than a good shingle roof. So check the gauge of the metal he wants to install. 26 or better. He may be trying to sell you an inferior metal.
Third and most important, Stay away from family and friends for contractors.[/quote]

It should be 24 gauge in my opinion, and should be Kynar 500 coated.

29 Gauge? Wow! That is almost like aluminum foil! :mrgreen:

Thanks to all who have replied thus far!

More info after reading your replies:

~contractor said he would be putting 30#felt over the shingles prior to application and that he didn’t notice any bad spots when he walked on the roof to measure. However, he is the only guy out of 4 that said he didn’t notice any “soft” spots on the roof.

~We reside in Ohio.

~I have no idea what gauge of metal he’s supposed to use.

~Beginning to seriously consider telling him to forget it and go with asphalt from other bids. I would sleep better knowing that the parts beneath the asphalt shingles are all sound and new too rather than having a shiny new metal roof covering up something potentially wrong underneath. . . :roll:

[quote=“lunarra0905”]Thanks to all who have replied thus far!

More info after reading your replies:

~contractor said he would be putting 30#felt over the shingles prior to application and that he didn’t notice any bad spots when he walked on the roof to measure. However, he is the only guy out of 4 that said he didn’t notice any “soft” spots on the roof.

~We reside in Ohio.

~I have no idea what gauge of metal he’s supposed to use.

~Beginning to seriously consider telling him to forget it and go with asphalt from other bids. I would sleep better knowing that the parts beneath the asphalt shingles are all sound and new too rather than having a shiny new metal roof covering up something potentially wrong underneath. . . :roll:[/quote]

Whatever you decide, make sure the shingle roof is removed first!

For a metal roof get 24 or 26 g and again,tear off the old.

Don’t know why a roofing contractor should not do business with his friends! I do almost everyone of my friends’ and neighbors’ roofs. Of course, they get a written bid with no corners cut and by the book installation. If there are weird details not shown in an installation guide, then a thorough explanation of current conditions is included and recommendations for dealing with said odd details are included, as well. Time is spent with the friend / neighbor (and any other customer) before the contract is signed and job is started to go over everything. I’d rather divulge now than explain later.

Regading this poster’s issue about going over an existing roof with a new one, I concur that it is a bad idea to do so. Covering up old problems with new skin is always a bad idea.

I also agree that a minimum of 24-ga. Kynar is the best way to go for the metal roof system.

[quote=“Cerberus”]

29 Gauge? Wow! That is almost like aluminum foil! :mrgreen:[/quote]

I didn’t say I put on 29 gauge. Just that Fleet carries Fabral in 29.
I did check their website and I see they do have a standing seam product so who knows. As Aaron would say I was assuming. Sorry.

As far as working for family and friend I always do. No problems here. Wouldn’t want their roof done by some hack.

Where at in Ohio?