Insurance Estimate

Any reason why when requesting a 2nd inspection from the insurance company are estimates from the roofer requested?

Would appreciate it if any of you guys have come across this and explain why they ask for this.

They want to compare apple to apples.

They are also trying to reconcile the estimate without a reinspection. This is very common and you shouldn’t be alarmed.

If a reinspection is warranted it is usually to agree on measurements. I have found that if the squares are inline then everything else tends to fall in line as well.

Make sure that all of your ducks are in a row include everything that you can think is damaged from the storm- peril.

Just remember getting a supplement after you and the insurance company agree on scope/price will be very difficult.

Well, let’s first figure out why you’re requesting a 2nd inspection.

Did they say ‘no damage’ & you are saying ‘YES damage’?

Or is it a difference in measured size or listed components / scope of work?

If it’s the difference in price then I agree that you need to sharpen your pencil; double check the calculations, re-check the component list (size / type / quantity, etc) & if you are confident in your info, then send it on in.

There is always a possibility they will agree to your request without having an onsite inspection performed on their end.

The insurance company said “no damage” we say otherwise. Before they agree to another reinspect they want an estimate from us.

all you contractors that try and push these bogus claims through all should be shot. it raises everybody elses insurance that never had a claim.

I wouldn’t sling any mud quite yet mrroofer. There are a lot of unknowns.

1. Experience level of the adjuster.
  2. Experience level of the roofer/salesman.
  3. What type of damage to the roof.
  4. The age of the damage.
  5. The age of the roof.
  6. Time that each inspection was completed.
    Sunny, overcast, etc…

I have been in the same situation on separate occasions as a roofer and adjuster.

As an adjuster I have had roofers continuously say that blisters were hail damage. This told me a lot about their skill level at detecting hail damage.

As a roofer I only been in the situation a few times
since were I lived at the time there wasn’t that much hail.

The insurance companies know what zip codes down to the neighborhood and the size of the hail stones in each of the neighborhoods.
How? I don’t know but their method is accurate.

oldtimerroofing fill in the gaps if you want better advise.

1 Like

No such thing as pushing through a bogus claim. The contractor has NO say in the matter the insurance company has the ONLY say. If there is damage it will be bought if no damage then the roof is denied.

Please explain how we push these bogus claims through and how it raises insurance rates.

I see a lot of jealous roofing contractors whining on forums and spewing there hatred toward insurance restoration contractors.
Set by your phone and wait for calls while we roof hundreds of homes a year that do have damage.

Just had the home reinspected by different adjuster. The roof was approved for replacement. Turns out the original insurance adjuster was not familiar with hail damage. 2nd adjuster found hits on all slopes. Turns out it wasn’t a bogus claim just a novice adjuster from Allstate.

Hi Hater!

Open mouth, insert foot much?

:slight_smile:

[quote=“Stormer”][/quote]

If there is damage it will be bought if no damage then the roof is denied.

I’m sorry but I hate to say it but I have to disagree that “idea”.

A few years ago was on a roof with two upper level adjusters for a very well known but very unrespected insurance carrier. Won’t mention which carrier but most in the know would know.

The boss of the other adjuster asked me two questions.

#1. You’ve been on roofs with hail and or wind damage that gets denied right? YES.

#2. You’ve been on roofs with no hail or wind damage that gets approved right? YES.

There you go that’s the insurance business for you…

So far have had two claims go into the hands of an outside engineer and both have been approved for roofs.

It should be that if you have damage you get a new roof but it simply is just not the case.

Been on a lot of roofs with no damage that were approved.

If this 1st adjuster was from the Buffalo, New York area, then I know exactly who you’re talking about.

I had a younger adjuster come out to a rather large & complicated roof for a reinspection & he denied this one again (was the original adjuster & his statement was that the shingles needed to be fully fractured all the way through & grit loss (however much) wasn’t a sufficient enough reason.

I finally got a 2nd adjuster out who had more experience in hail & he approved the claim; apparently the 1st adjuster (for visit # 1 & 2) had only been doing property claims for 6 months.

Yes, this was AllState.

sorry, dont need to go down that road to sell jobs. just doing it the honest way. so much for what you’s can say. hope can can sleep at night.

[quote=“Agape”]

Hi Hater!

Open mouth, insert foot much?

:)[/quote]

Mrroofer, after just reviewing your posting history I have a question for you.

Why do you post on this forum? Is it to get under people’s skin? Or tell everyone about the size of your business, expenses associated with it, and how much profit you turn?

Oh also, the honest way. Is this the way where you weasel out of being responsible for interior damage from water intrusion? Glad to hear that the guys who caused the leak weren’t yours. Wonder if they took responsibility for their actions the honest way.

http://www.roofing.com/images/topics/8683/img_1257702350.jpg

I bet this was a fun one to draw in sketch.

[quote=“mrroofer”]sorry, dont need to go down that road to sell jobs. just doing it the honest way. so much for what you’s can say. hope can can sleep at night.

[/quote]

I sleep on a big, fluffy, memory foam king size bed, next to my beautiful wife.

Do you sleep on your “i dont do insurance work” attitude? Or do you sleep on a box of coil nails? Which ever it is, it sure makes you a grumpy bastid.

mrroofer

If the insurance industry would stop employing under trained adjusters and lazy agents. You would see the issue of undamaged roofs being bought diminish greatly. I would estimate that 40% percent of all roofs we replace would not have the Haag standard of damage for total replacement. A large part of that percentage is un-repairable roofs due to age.
If the agent had done his/her job and not insured the property until the roof was replaced the claim most likely would have been denied. Perfect example: we are roofing one of my jobs today. 50+ sq. ½ med shake that was 20 years + old. Roof had less than 3 impacts per square, but every shingle you walked on would break. This is foot/fault and owed for by the insurance company. The only way to repair this roof was full replacement. Due to the lack of inspections from the agent, State Farm wrote a 42k check.

My point to this is, if the agent had requested the roof to be replaced due to its age. The H/O would have replaced the roof at his own cost. If the insurance industry would stop insuring worn out roofs you would see the none insurance roof replacements thrive. :mrgreen:

I AGREE THAT THE INS CO.HAS THE LAST SAY IF THE ROOF IS BOUGHT. I WILL DO ALL INS WORK IF IT FEEDS ME AND MY FAMILY. LIKE WHO EVER SAID WAIT FOR THE PHONE TO RING.INS COMPANIES MAKE TRILLIONS UPON TRILLIONS THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO HELP.

You ask where on the policy does it state the homeowner needs to get two estimates?Its not required,its done to see if the quotes will be less then the the loss program will come up with.Everything to do with insurance loss has to do with the policy,what type of ploicy the insured has dictates how they handle it.They may play games with the contractor but if he shows he knows the right questions,he has a better chance of dealing with them.

I worked for a general contractor who did not like giving roofing estimates for insurance purposes b/c so often the insurance companies picked the least expensive estimate when they were not even going to do the job right.

There are a lot of problems with insurance estimates and many times the homeowner should be paid for damages and is not which is why homeowners look to get a few inspections and estimates.

[quote]Marcy Tate Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:41 am Post subject:

I worked for a general contractor who did not like giving roofing estimates for insurance purposes b/c so often the **insurance companies **picked the least expensive estimate when they were not even going to do the job right.

[/quote]

Interesting, I didn’t know insurance companies were also GC’s. Can you expand on which insurance companies **choose contractors **for the homeowner.