Insurance question

One of our customers had his roof damaged on either 5/10 or 5/16. He filed a claim with his insurance. The adjuster came out and approved the roof replacement on 6/1/2010. A few days later, after the heavy rainfall overnight, he noticed a leak inside one of his bedrooms. He informed us about the leak the next day. We called insurance, on his behalf Monday 06/7, and left a message that our customer noticed some interior damage which was not part of the original estimate; but never heard back from them.

Our customer did not want to wait any longer, because of the leaks etc, so he asked us to get the roof replaced. We started the work on Wednesday (06/09) and got the roof replaced same day. Even on Wednesday, our customer called his insurance and informed them about the leak. He was told by the ins rep that someone will contact him soon.
A few days later he got a call from his adjuster who refused to pay for interior damage because quote “Since the roof repair had been completed, he could not establish that the leak was caused by the roof damage, therefore they would not pay the claim to repair the interior damageâ€Â

The only requirement I recall is that the insurer be notified prior to starting the work. Apparently, you did that. You should be OK.

Ideally, you have some pictures of the before and after that shows why the roof leaked. If not, I still think you will be OK.

If you don’t get any satisfaction quickly, just have the homeowner mention the word “mold” to their agent. That should generate an immediate check.

The only thing you could have done differently was the pix.I have roofed homes that had unseen damage(closets,pantries,guest bedrooms that are rarely frequented by the homeowners prior to the roof installation) and they(Insurance)advised me to take some pix,and proceed.,In your case its a catch-22 do you stop and risk more interior damage by a pop storm?
Something that I do after signing a customer is do a complete walkthrough of the home to check for ceiling stains,cracked drywall,cracks above the tops of door frames,around inner areas of skylights,buckled hardwoods,broken tiles just any interior damage and note all damage and have the customer sign that he acknowledges existing interior damage.It could have saved some hassle in your case.I also do the same on the exterior too,Check for damage to gutters,downspouts,soffit,siding,broken windows,damage to decks,grills,fences,A/C units window screens,broken statues,cracked sidewalks,driveways I think you get the idea.,It maybe classified as paranoia but it can save you
with false damage implications from the customers and finding unseen pre-existing damage.