Insurance scam

I have this roofing contractor in our area is going on roof estimates and while on the roof he is actually ripping shingles on every side of the roof. Is so blatant, it’s not even funny.he then tells the homeowner to file a claim and it will only cost $1000. Deductable. He had this form all filled out and tries to force them to sign it. This has happened at least 4 times this month. The last on was yesterday. He did it to a single mother and she got scare and told the,m to leave. She called us and told me the story. We had to tarp her entire roof because of the damage he done. She is using our service and want the other contractor to get in trouble, so do I. Who can we call and report this to? Thanks

Ya might try:
The cops: Maybe they will or won’t care
The IRS: they might send him the medal of honor if he is a tax cheat
Attorney General: Another criminal ally
OSHA: depends on if he is a side jobber or legit.
Your congressman: Better include a donation
Angie’s List: Do they work CHEEEEP?
NRCA: they are always looking for new members
BBB: Ditto

The irony in this and similar situations is that damage caused by vandalism is covered by insurance. Thanks to this roofer, she may get a new roof after all; however, the crime MUST be reported to police.
When I was an adjuster, I ran into this scenario a few times each season. If the homeowner could be ruled out as a conspirator, I encouraged them to report the vandalism to police, and then covered the damage.

Eventually, he’ll get caught and get prosecuted and probably sued by the insurance company(s). In MN several years back, one guy got caught “dime spinning” and another got caught splitting wood skakes. Didn’t turn out good for either of them.

I would also report it to the insurance company involved. They obviously have a vested interest. Perhaps they will attempt to bring a civil suit against the scumbag.

OK, so how do you know that some guy ripped up shingles?

Are shingles missing? Is that why you tarped the roof? Did you drive nails into the roof to hold down the tarp?

If you are suspicious because there is damage, i.e. wind damage, on four sides, that is entirely possible. Hard winds, hurricane force, blow up the front side, then they set up a vacuum on the back side. That can tear up shingles on all four sides. Also, crappy quality shingles blow up all the time in winds with less force.

Was there a strong wind storm in the area at any time since the roof was installed? Could the roof have been installed in heavier than normal winds, impacting the sealing of the shingles? Was the roof installed in cold weather, possibly impacting the shingles sealing? How much debris is under the lifted shingles? If there is debris, then you are probably wrong in your assessment.

From what I read,this sounds pretty weak. I assume you have a lot more to go on, right?

This homeowners neighbor seen them. They went to his house first and did the same thing. He is a old war vet. and is contacting authorities. A week before he had been on a roof doing a quote, that was the first time I seen this and really didnt think much of it till these people called yesterday. I am on the roofing board in my county and will warn my fellow contractors at next weeks meeting. I really bothers me to see this lady so upset and in tears because of this asshole!

[quote=“Gary”]OK, so how do you know that some guy ripped up shingles?

Are shingles missing? Is that why you tarped the roof? Did you drive nails into the roof to hold down the tarp?

If you are suspicious because there is damage, i.e. wind damage, on four sides, that is entirely possible. Hard winds, hurricane
force, blow up the front side, then they set up a vacuum on the back side. That can tear up shingles on all four sides. Also, crappy quality shingles blow up all the time in winds with less force.

Was there a strong wind storm in the area at any time since the roof was installed? Could the roof have been installed in heavier than normal winds, impacting the sealing of the shingles? Was the roof installed in cold weather, possibly impacting the shingles sealing? How much debris is under the lifted shingles? If there is debris, then you are probably wrong in your assessment.

From what I read,this sounds pretty weak. I assume you have a lot more to go on, right?[/quote]

I bet when the insurance company pays you to put a new roof on, she will dry her tears with the 1st check.

and that kind of obvious scamming of roof claims happens all over the country on a daily basis.

[quote=“mrroofer”]This homeowners neighbor seen them. They went to his house first and did the same thing. He is a old war vet. and is contacting authorities. A week before he had been on a roof doing a quote, that was the first time I seen this and really didnt think much of it till these people called yesterday. I am on the roofing board in my county and will warn my fellow contractors at next weeks meeting. I really bothers me to see this lady so upset and in tears because of this !@#$!

[quote=“Gary”]OK, so how do you know that some guy ripped up shingles?

If you are suspicious because there is damage, i.e. wind damage, on four sides, that is entirely possible. Hard winds, hurricane
force, blow up the front side, then they set up a vacuum on the back side. That can tear up shingles on all four sides. Also, crappy quality shingles blow up all the time in winds with less force.

From what I read,this sounds pretty weak. I assume you have a lot more to go on, right?[/quote]

[/quote]

If you are on the contractors’ board, why didn’t you just go talk with him when you saw this? If you didn’t think much of it when you saw it, why are you running around throwing this guy under the bus now? There are way too many unanswered questions for me here.

Gary, people saw him in the act. What part of that qualifies as “unanswered”?

Really, you were there? What did they see? A guy lifting shingles? Maybe the sealant bonds were already broken, and he was just counting them? Is it a three tab with visible ladders? Are other roofs in the area damaged by wind? I could go on and on…

Don’t try to help on this forum by trying to discover truth or anything?

Try reading what I am reading before you jump on people, OK? He said he saw it - yes. He also said he thought nothing of it. Also, it looks at quick count like I asked a half dozen or so questions that were yet “unanswered”, and I have dozens more to determine the accuracy of a life changing accusation of crime. No, I do not take that one bit lightly.

Gary, all I can say is that if a roofer were ever being tried for a crime, he could only hope you had been chosen for jury duty. LOL

Wow, i can’t believe some of your posts. This lady in not putting it though her insurance. In fact I am even financing her in-house.

Gary, it sounds like you have done this scam before for sounding so defensive. Please don’t respond to anymore of my posts, you make no sense whatsoever.

why the hell wouldnt she? its covered under her policy EITHER WAY. Why would you take advantage of her like that, when her premiums are paid monthly to cover acts like this? Is it because you are charging much more than her insurance would pay?

The insurance company WILL pay for her roof, and if they find the damage to be purposely inflicted by a person, and they can prove who did it, they will go after that person for damages.

mrroofer, I’ve never met Gary but judging from his posting here, I’d bet significant money he isn’t a crook or would do what your suggesting. In fact, I consider your remark incredibly inappropriate.

Gary does seem to be very biased towards giving the roofer the benefit of the doubt, often to a fault. But I believe that is because he takes his profession so seriously and has pride in his own work. While there are times that may not come across as intended, I think that is a very good and noble thing when you consider the intent.

Your minds are twisted. I am charging her much less that we would normally charge. Agape, talk about morals, how do you sleep at night. I think years of abusing the system you have become immune to such actions. Time to step back and take a good look.

Looks like Gary maybe right in his assessment. What is morally wrong with this lady filing a claim with her insurance? If in fact this contractor intentionally damaged her roof, arguably, it falls under the category of vandalism. No doubt, the insurance may tell her that isn’t vandalism but may attempt to call it fraud. They may maintain it is up to her to pursue the damages through civil litigation. That would be between her and her insurance company and possibly, the Adjuster.

It isn’t Agape’s fault that you are obviously totally unaware of how HO’s Insurance functions. To be clear, your stupidity does not equal Agape’s immorality. If there is a moral issue at all here, it may very well be your providing this poor lady with bad advice based on your own ignorance.

The next time you post a question, please post the answer(s) you’re looking for, we can all just do a copy and paste. You’ll be happy and it will save everyone the time of actually trying to help you with factual responses or at least, intelligent opinions based on YOUR sketchy information.

This stuff happens with every storm.Some bozo is seen causing intentional damage.I have been told the very same thing by homeowners.

They tell me that they heard it from the neighbor who hired John Bull from Soggy Ceilings Exteriors.They also said that is why they hired John is because he was nice enough to inform them about this alleged scam.

IMO most times its a fear tactic.Make the customer scared of a scam and they feel all warm and fuzzy about your complete honesty for pointing them in the right direction.Before you know it you have a signature and a job.

But intentional damage does exist.But like Jason said file a claim and if the adjuster finds the damage intentional then they will go after the vandal that damaged the property.

I find it a bit peculiar that you would rather finance her in house (100% out of her pocket)for a complete reroof when the insurer could possibly help if she had legitimate storm damage to begin with.The intentional damage could be a bonus.

Most scams involve a little old lady and a veteran.They pull at the heart strings of America.Not saying that they don’t exist but I think most (local)scams are hearsay.Its part of neighborhood rumor control.

Just answer my original question, " who should I report this contractor to", not if this happened or not. If you can’t answer this simple question than DON’T post in this thread. Simple as that.