Internet advertising

I realize this topic has been listed quite often but really need some immediate help with this. used to be heavy into the yellow pages but pulled out the last few years due to lack of calls and business.Right now were only in the local chamber and a few church bulletins, and a local mailer. Really feeling the effects in todays market.
Certainly not enough cause the phones dead and i have to do something fast before Im forced to close the doors.
With that being said, looked into Google advertising and was quoted about $950.00 per month for the top 3 within 50 mile radius, they calll it impressions not the pay per click.
Seems costly especially now, really running out of ideas here. Any help/advice with our current advertising situation would be wonderful!
i was thinking about $500 per month to start?
Thanks
Hope all are doing well

Last year I started advertising heavily on the internet. My first three months were $1500 a month to get ranked high in an organic search in a heavily saturated market. From there I went down to paying 350 a month. I am currently ranked in the top three for all my target keywords and ranked number one for the most searched. 75% of my new calls come from this.

I would cancel the yellow pages. Most people do not use them anymore, even the older crowd. I have yet to hear of anyone not getting a job from not being in the yellow pages. Use your money somewhere else.

:?:

[quote=“BAMBAMM5144”]Last year I started advertising heavily on the internet. My first three months were $1500 a month to get ranked high in an organic search in a heavily saturated market. From there I went down to paying 350 a month. I am currently ranked in the top three for all my target keywords and ranked number one for the most searched. 75% of my new calls come from this.

I would cancel the yellow pages. Most people do not use them anymore, even the older crowd. I have yet to hear of anyone not getting a job from not being in the yellow pages. Use your money somewhere else.[/quote]

Thats great to hear your doing well with it. Just talked with seo company about my website and getting listed. Should know how much on monday, have to keep it under a grand.
keep you posted thanks

[quote=“dstew66”]

:?:[/quote]

What I meant is that the yellow pages isnt a legitimate “store front” anymore. A website is a store front. A good website should sell you before you even show up. I have never had anyone tell me the reason they decided not to go with me is because they couldn’t find me in the phone book. With more and more people declining to receive them, they will become obsolete.

While it can certainly vary market to market, I agree with Bamm Bamm regarding Yellow Pages. I don’t remember the last time I looked in the yellow pages for anything. And why would I, google is your friend.

With all that said, you are looking for a passive means of creating interest in your company. My recommendation would be to get out and knock doors 6 days a week until you’ve created a reasonable backlog of business. If the business isn’t coming to you, take yourself to the business. Spend some money having some decent business cards and brochures prepared and printed.

Bamm Bamm is talking about his success from the internet. What’s he’s leaving out (I think he is anyway) is that he is a very smart businessman, I’ll bet he runs a very tight ship and puts out a great product and service. I’ll also bet he is one heckuva salesperson. Further, I’ll bet if his business got slow, he’d be out knocking doors rather quickly and he’d close business quite promptly from those efforts. Don’t be confused into thinking his efforts with the internet resulted in signed contracts being dropped on his doorstep. I’ll simply say that if you aren’t a good salesperson, then you either better take some lessons or hire one. The leads you may generate from the best internet advertising won’t close themselves.

Yellow Book ripped me off, would not want my name in their book even if it was free, that’s even true of the $32,000 one page add in the Twin City book!

I did pay per click last Winter for targeting ice dam leads. My budget was $150 a day and one Sat-Tue would burn up all $150. Got a ton of work from it so it payed off quite well. One most Mondays/Tuesdays would average 40-50 calls a day.

The best source for getting ice dam leads however was from angies list. Free for me very little cost to users. Half the home owners didn’t have leaks but had no problem spending a grand or more to get rid of ice dams. Over half the calls that came in from that source were landed. For the internet it was one if five or six calls. Keep in mind we were booked for 3-4 days out at all times. The ones from the internet seemed to want someone same day but not for top dollar though. We were at $350-400 an hour and the only people who gave the prices a hard time were internet callers. One guy was very very rude and almost hung up on him. Next thing I know he said sure come out $1,500 sounds fine!!!

[quote=“Authentic_Dad”]While it can certainly vary market to market, I agree with Bamm Bamm regarding Yellow Pages. I don’t remember the last time I looked in the yellow pages for anything. And why would I, google is your friend.

With all that said, you are looking for a passive means of creating interest in your company. My recommendation would be to get out and knock doors 6 days a week until you’ve created a reasonable backlog of business. If the business isn’t coming to you, take yourself to the business. Spend some money having some decent business cards and brochures prepared and printed.

Bamm Bamm is talking about his success from the internet. What’s he’s leaving out (I think he is anyway) is that he is a very smart businessman, I’ll bet he runs a very tight ship and puts out a great product and service. I’ll also bet he is one heckuva salesperson. Further, I’ll bet if his business got slow, he’d be out knocking doors rather quickly and he’d close business quite promptly from those efforts. Don’t be confused into thinking his efforts with the internet resulted in signed contracts being dropped on his doorstep. I’ll simply say that if you aren’t a good salesperson, then you either better take some lessons or hire one. The leads you may generate from the best internet advertising won’t close themselves.[/quote]

I don’t know how I could NOT like that post! Thanks for the compliment. Almost made me blush.

You did hit the shingle on the line about me (pun intended). Do I know you personally? I am all about doing what I say I am going to do. I tell homeowners I guarantee that all our nails are on the nail line. I know we do superior installs because I take time to inspect all of our jobs and the guys know this. I also have a great group of guys. Furthermore, AD is right. Right now I am fortunate to have enough calls coming in that I do not need to knock doors. If I had to, trust me, I would be.

Getting those calls is one thing. Hell, I could get 4300087987 calls a day and it wouldn’t matter if I could not sell me and my company. Do I sell every job? Nope, not even close. The ones I don’t sell are the ones who are not looking for what I offer and the price that comes with it. I show people how all installs are not the same.

I will put it in numbers for you. My website being done, marketed and having the SEO done by professionals has so far cost me around 12k since June of last year. So far this month alone it has brought in over 100k worth of business and its still the middle of the month. See if you can accomplish that with the yellow pages!

I know that is all off the topic of internet advertising but I just wanted to take what AD said and run with it a little. The best roofer in the world will not succeed without a good knowledge of business. The worst roofer in the world can succeed if he excels at understanding business. ( I’ve seen it)

[quote=“skytech1”]

[quote=“BAMBAMM5144”]Last year I started advertising heavily on the internet. My first three months were $1500 a month to get ranked high in an organic search in a heavily saturated market. From there I went down to paying 350 a month. I am currently ranked in the top three for all my target keywords and ranked number one for the most searched. 75% of my new calls come from this.

I would cancel the yellow pages. Most people do not use them anymore, even the older crowd. I have yet to hear of anyone not getting a job from not being in the yellow pages. Use your money somewhere else.[/quote]

Thats great to hear your doing well with it. Just talked with seo company about my website and getting listed. Should know how much on monday, have to keep it under a grand.
keep you posted thanks[/quote]

Basically, there are 4 ways you can get your roofing customers calling.
1 - Word of mouth - Tie-ups with lumberyards, and goodwill
2 - Organic Search - Show up in search results. It requires lots of front wheel work and time but you essentially get cheap traffic later. SEOs can help you there. Many give performance guarantee…go with them.
3 - Paid Search - Google Yahoo Bing PPC, Yellow Books, etc. Yahoo and Bing generally have less competition because they cater to less visitors. But on a ROI basis, it works out to be fine.
4 - Local advertising - Knock on the doors and leave your card, mail marketing, etc. You need good copywriters and designers who have good marketing acumen for this. You need to float this in a target market otherwise ROI can be really small or negative.

Yellow pages is obsolete and I don’t think that fits in a contractor’s marketing strategy

I have gone for bottom 3 because I am new in my market. My budget allocation was simple. 25% in organic (long-term investment), 60% in PPC (short-term), 15% in Local Advertising. PPC is showing great results. I was lucky enough to be with the right freelancer who didn’t have to experiment on the job and make me waste some money.

Organic is showing some results. For e.g. I rank on first page for “contractor bazaar”, “genie bazaar”, “genie contractor”, “roofer contract jobs”, “genie roofer”. and page 2 for “local contractor”. This has increased my web traffic by 8 times over last 3 months.

This freelancer also knew some people in India who could design cool graphics for my A4 size ad page, and they made it for $150 odd. Talk about outsourcing. :slight_smile: Also, always get minimum 2 quotes before selecting anyone.

Amount you want to spend is your call. I was recommended to start with $200/month and gradually increase it till it is giving incremental returns. It also depends upon how many jobs your can support and your staffing level. Let me know if I can be of more help.

Let me thanks for helpful information provided in this thread. All the guys replied and share knowledge with us.

Google place page- free. Add some photos.

Hit up past customers make sure they are super happy and then go to their neighbors.

It’s Spring just about everywhere and folks are more often than not around on Saturdays, most likely outside. As someone here once said, hand a card or flyer of quality ask if they’ve looked up at their roof, or ceiling lately wondering if its time to have the roof looked at by a PROFESSIONAL! Walk around with them if they want- but set a time to come back with a ladder- and be on time, prepared.

Use your time wisely- choose the homes that may actually need your services and the ones that will yield quick cash flow to make your bank account grow. The more little jobs you do- repairs included- the more opportunity to get spin off from your leg work.

Dress well- clean- with your logo on your shirt. Smile if you have your teeth. Be nice, helpful and honest and you will far and make lots of money. People appreciate seeing ambition.

:badgrin: