Is 163 NFA the biggest static vent I'm going to find?

Trying to get my attic venting sorted out, and am looking for the largest volume static vents I can find, so I can minimize the total number needed. I’ve found some dome vents that are 163 NFA (Ventamatic VX25) and am wondering if that’s as good as it’s going to get? Using 1/150 I need to add 4 static vents of this size to the existing gable end vents to make me good. Is there anything larger out there?

Is there a reason you aren’t using ridge vents?

Customer (my wife) wants ridge shingles with a bullnose effect (Rapid Ridge / OC Decoridge, etc…), and I reckon they’ll look pretty dumb sitting on top of ridge vent*. Besides, static vents will still come out a couple of hundred $ cheaper than ridge vent.

*Example:

owenscorning.com/roofing/acc … e-shingles

Both the ridge in your picture and the accompanying video have ridgevent. There should be no issue with aesthetics if the ridgevent is correctly installed imo. I’m not sure what O.C. specs these days but most ridgevents are low profile and barely noticeable.

If you are not using a ridgevent the next best thing in most cases is a power fan. gaf.com/Roofing/Residential/ … Ventilator

Owens Corning has the best ridge vent.
It has the boldest look. It has the straightest look.
They lock into each other and come with excellent ring shank nails for the vent and your shingles on top of it.
The high ridge shingles look great on top of it.
Here they cost 80 dollars for a box of 40 feet.

If you want the look you posted, you will need to buy their ridge vent and those super high dolor hip and ridge shingles.
The ridge vent is super cheap compared to what you are going to pay for that hip and ridge shingles you posted.
It’s going to blow your mind.

But you will have the most Awesome looking roof in the neighborhood.
It will make your home more desirable than all your neighbors that is if I pick the color scheme for you…

You might just be missing the reason I posted the link to the OC ridge shingles, showing the picture of them sitting on top of ridge vent…I really, really don’t like that look, and the picture was supposed to illustrate what I didn’t want to do. Sorry for any confusion! :slight_smile:

So, anyway, I ordered the vents I mentioned on the OP, and we’re probably going to go with the Rapid Ridge product, since it’s home grown and they do a color match to most manufacturers’ shingles. The only thing though…even though I’ve gotten a couple of recommendations on this product without the folks knowing that I was actively looking at it, it kinda bothers me some that there’s not much information on the company out on them there Internets. :?

rapidridgeplus.com/200Competition.asp

I haven’t priced the product yet, but I’m rather hoping it won’t be more than ~$60 for a 20’ box.

That’s a pretty big risk your taking.
Mixing someone else’s cap.
You really sure it’s going to match?
Using a product that nobody uses.
And using product that nobody stocks.
Good luck and we would love to see after photos, please!

[quote=“roof-lover”]That’s a pretty big risk your taking.
Mixing someone else’s cap.
You really sure it’s going to match?
Using a product that nobody uses.
And using product that nobody stocks.
Good luck and we would love to see after photos, please![/quote]

It’s pretty readily available around here. But as I said, it’s locally sourced, so that may have something to do with it. So as such, based on the two unsolicited recommendations I’ve received, I’m willing to give it a try. Oh, and the price might well be in the region of $30-40 for 20’. I’ll find out for sure tomorrow when I go and finalize my materials order.

Edit: Interesting…I just decided to look up 9303 Garfield Ave. on Google Maps Street View and In-O-Vate is right next door to local shingle manufacturer Malarkey. In fact, you really can’t tell where Malarkey ends and In-O-Vate begins. Possibly the same company? Or at least the possibility of one being a subsidiary of the other.

We’ll if that’s true, that’s not a bad price at all.
In fact, I think that’s fantastic. I would use the malarkey shingles since I bet that they do match them based on your observation. I wish I had access to try them here in Florida!
Go visit both companies since they are local.
Pick up a couple of shingles from malarkey and bring them next door to the hip and ridge company and make sure they indeed match.
Post pics please!
Based on this info, I am actually excited for you!