Is drip egde required at the gutters

Hello all,
This is a very informative forum and I’ve been visiting frequently since re-roofing my house.

I had an inspection yesterday and it failed due to “drip edging required at all eaves”. We installed drip edge on all the eaves except for where there is a gutter. I’ve read the code book and it is very vague on defining the placement of drip edge. All it says is it is required at all eaves and that’s it. So are we required to install drip edge at the locations of the gutters? We installed ice shield and #30 felt at all the eaves, + drip edge at the gables and wherever there wasn’t a gutter.

What do you guys think?

[quote=“jgsman”]Hello all,
I’ve read the code book and it is very vague on defining the placement of drip edge. All it says is it is required at all eaves and that’s it. [/quote]

I think you just answered yourself…

If you failed, then it’s required. Here it is not required by any code, and most people don’t do it at the gables. However at the gutter line we will install a gutter apron/flashing in lieu of drip edge (ODE).

You may also want to order or download the mcertainteed master shingle applicator manual and read not only where it is to be installed, but how to properly install it.

Question, is there a gutter? If not, there better be some kind of flashing there to prevent ice & water backup and wood rott to the fascia.

No one here in VA uses drip edge, I have yet to see any consistent damage from not using it. Need to have enough shingle overhang though.

Do you know how many times I have said this and been bawled out for it?

Stick with me, Shangle Nailer, there is power in numbers!

We never use it here in B.C and for that fact I have only seen it installed a handful of times.Never had a problem in 20 yrs.I think its a regional thing :?

To quote tinner “DE is nothing but an upsell”

Here, here, John.

I do like apron for gutters, though.

A question for the topic starter… who was the inspection for?

Who inspected it?

Were they going off of mfg specs?

I know some roof consultants that give out really bad advice sometimes.

Its not required here…at all.

Drip edge is required by the 2006 International Building Code… This code has been adopted throughout most of the United States.

here’s the requirement:

1507.2.9.3 Drip edge. Provide drip edge at eaves and
gables of shingle roofs. Overlap to be a minimum of 2
inches (51 rom). Eave drip edges shall extend 0.25 inch
(6.4 rom) below sheathing and extend back on the roof a
minimum of 2 inches (51 rom). Drip edge shall be
mechanically fastened a maximum of 12 inches (305
rom) O.c.

I need a copy of that book.

What do they mean by extend below the deck?

[quote=“AaronB.”]I need a copy of that book.

What do they mean by extend below the deck?[/quote]

The metal is up the front of facia then kicks out 1/4"-1/2" then folds back up the deck… :wink:

If the Building code say’s for all eaves then you need drip edge along the gutters. Personally, I don’t see the need for drip edge for along the gutters because it serves absolutely no purpose!

It is required here on jobs that the specs ask for it. :wink:

johne5

So what theyre saying is they want ODE at the gutter… Retadded

Drip edge is actually useful. On high pitch rooves id almost say forget it because the water will shoot off of them. But on low pitch it is. When water runs down your shingles it will adhere to them to some point. If the water reaches your starter shingle on the eave, it may be inclined to roll back the underside of the shingle due to wind etc. With no drip edge, the water will be absorbed into the plywood or decking boards. With drip edge the water touches the aluminum, adheres, and goes into the gutter. I spent 6 days trying to fix boots and valleys for a problem that was created by improper drip edge installation

As a roofer who worked for companies who would spec the best possible roof accessories drip edge is a relatively inexpensive extra that should ALWAYS be applied at every eave edge, regardless of gutter locations. And: minor point, it should be applied on top of the 36" or 44" sanded surface eave protector, that you installed underneath your starter strip before laying your shingles.
JMO

al