Is Duration better than Oakridge for homeowners?

I’m a homeowner in Kentucky, and this is my first time ever needing to have a roof replaced (it’s not insurance-covered). The roofer my wife and I want to go with is platinum preferred with Owens Corning. We are deciding between Oakridge or Duration shingles ($420 more).

I’m trying to understand if there’s much benefit to us to get the Duration shingles. We don’t care about the color/aesthetic difference. I’ve read about the surenail strip but am having trouble telling if it’s all that beneficial for us as homeowners or if it just helps make things more efficient/accurate for roofers.

Is the roof likely to last longer or have fewer issues if we upgrade to Duration? Or would Oakridge installed by a platinum preferred rated roofer serve us just as well? Thank you for your expertise about this!

Duration, in general, seems to have less manufacturing inconsistencies than the Oakridge. Our installers complain about the Oakridge and seem to love the Duration, that says a great deal. For the small uptick in price, choose the Duration as it is a good product overall. We’ve installed hundreds of OC roofs and the only reason to not promote the Duration is price sensitivity which in this case appears to be somewhat negligible. Good luck!

The Duration is a much better shingle than the Oakridge. The old Duration with the channel nail line was a horrible design. The new cloth nail line is the way it should have been. I’ll give you a piece of advice. Lay out the shingle you are thinking about using. Duration colors are a blend of different shades. Oakridge is more consistent. When you lay it out, you will be glad you did.

Thank you for your help!

Thank you! I appreciate you sharing about the difference

My only beef with OC is the fabric strip across the nail able surface. On low slopes it creates “pondomg” around the nail head and allows the nail head to rust off, allowing the shingle to blow off

1 Like

Every shingle manufacturer requires the use of non-corrosive fasteners.

Electro-galvanized steel is not non-corrosive.

This is one of the most minor things done frequently (almost always) wrong.

Oh for sure! The reality is that most guys are using ungalvanized smooth shank nails. Our repair department is constantly renailing/replacing these shingles more than other manufacturers because of the rusting heads.

1 Like

Ral-durRoofer knows exactly what hes talking about.
Ive been saying it here for years.
The duration has improved but it is still a failure.
The water is still getting under the fabric
Like the old design.
The water is still pooling under the shingle
in the Trough area.
It sits lower than the rest of the shingle.
It is rusting out the fasteners
Even on steeper roofs.
The area they tell you to nail is not solid double thickness like it should be.
So half the nails are driven too deep into the single thickness area.

The oakridge is a proven mechanical design.
I would trust it over Duration on a lower slope roof for sure.
Durations on all lower slopes are a pure disaster.
Anything under 5/12.
But i am seeing nails rusting on 7/12s too…
Hence why i try not to use them.

Have never heard of this issue before in our region with a dry climate incomparable to coastal areas. Are you therefore implying the nails fail due to rust or are they simply showing rust at the head? Have warranty claims arisen from this pooling whether the claims are toward the manufacturer or from the homeowner complaining of leaks? Peculiarities expectedly arise in certain climates but this one is not one that I have encountered but maybe should be looking for?

If indeed this is an inherent problem with the product, is there widespread support for OC to change the construction of the product?

Thoughts?

On the plus side, Owens Corning has the very best ridge vent.
I use it on every roof i need for ridge venting.