Is It A Bad Idea To Hire A Storm Chaser Roofing Company?

I am a home owner. I have a proposal from a national storm chaser roofing company to replace my hail damaged roof under an insurance claim. They seem professional and knowledgeable. They admit they will be gone from my area “in about a year”. When I asked about warranty work after they leave they say they will make sure “any future needed warranty work will be taken care of”. They have been very helpful with the insurance claim, even getting a Haag Certified Roofing Inspector involved. I suspect that they sub contract my kind of job with local roofers, I have some concerns about getting a cut-rate job because of this, maybe corners gettting cut, sub standard materials/workmanship etc., how am I to know? The shingles to be replaced are GAF Timberline 40.

It looks to me that my contract would be with the storm chasers not the roofers actuallly doing the work. Should I have concerns about proceeding with them. Are there any other factors I should consider before going ahead with them? Is there any wording in a contract with them that I should make sure gets included?

Thank you for any assistance.

If you signed a contract with them, why are you asking these questions? Why negotiate or attempt to add clauses after the contract has already been signed and they’ve met their obligations to date (apparently)? If you have a contract, honor it and next time, ask questions and write clauses before signing on the dotted line and having the other party do work and invest money/time. If you don’t have a contract, get a good, reputable local company to do the work even if you have to come out of pocket a little bit. Common sense would dictate that but apparently common sense didn’t dictate that you avoid signing a contract with an out of town company in the first place.

I have not signed a contingency or contract with anyone for this roof job yet, that is why I am asking questions.

Use local, known contractor!

Ya TN Bill, like Ricky said. Hire local. One you know is local. By hiring local your supporting your local economy & if theres ever a leak or warranty issue the company is right there. Also be careful of salesmen with strange accents & out of state plates who claim to be a local company. I saw this done in my town (Exeter,NH) a few years back when we had a hail swath move thru. Some clown from Minneapolis, Minnesota (Catastrope Services) came to town & paid some old retired GC (A Step Above Construction) to use his company name & lic.#. Rented a office, got a NH phone #, & lied to people when they called. Hell ya, we been around for 50 years. Had yard signs made & all that. Next thing you know theres alot of trucks w/ Minn. tags around w/ door magnets saying theyre a local NH company. Most of the workers were mexicans. This clown took alot of peoples money, did the work, but shoddily, promised warrantys, & skipped town. Probably still doing this too.

Ya TN Bill, like Ricky said. Hire local. One you know is local. By hiring local your supporting your local economy & if theres ever a leak or warranty issue the company is right there. Also be careful of salesmen with strange accents & out of state plates who claim to be a local company. I saw this done in my town (Exeter,NH) a few years back when we had a hail swath move thru. Some clown from Minneapolis, Minnesota (Catastrope Services) came to town & paid some old retired GC (A Step Above Construction) to use his company name & lic.#. Rented a office, got a NH phone #, & lied to people when they called. Hell ya, we been around for 50 years. Had yard signs made & all that. Next thing you know theres alot of trucks w/ Minn. tags around w/ door magnets saying theyre a local NH company. Most of the workers were mexicans. This clown took alot of peoples money, did the work, but shoddily, promised warrantys, & skipped town. Probably still doing this too.

IDK WHY THAT POSTED TWICE! :evil:

[quote=“TN Bill”]I am a home owner. I have a proposal from a national storm chaser roofing company to replace my hail damaged roof under an insurance claim. They seem professional and knowledgeable. They admit they will be gone from my area “in about a year”. When I asked about warranty work after they leave they say they will make sure “any future needed warranty work will be taken care of”. They have been very helpful with the insurance claim, even getting a Haag Certified Roofing Inspector involved. I suspect that they sub contract my kind of job with local roofers, I have some concerns about getting a cut-rate job because of this, maybe corners gettting cut, sub standard materials/workmanship etc., how am I to know? The shingles to be replaced are GAF Timberline 40.

It looks to me that my contract would be with the storm chasers not the roofers actuallly doing the work. Should I have concerns about proceeding with them. Are there any other factors I should consider before going ahead with them? Is there any wording in a contract with them that I should make sure gets included?

Thank you for any assistance.[/quote]

Your proposal is likely a contingency agreement. Out of state contractors don’t usually leave “proposals” with homeowners. They have you sign an agreement (contingency) that obligates you to do the work with them if they are successful in getting your claim paid. In the event that they accomplish that goal and you attempt to cancel, you will likely be obligated under the terms of the contingency agreement now contract to pay them a % fee to cover the cost of the estimation work done.

“even getting a Haag Certified Roofing Inspector involved”??? Not likely that a contractor (local or out of state) is going to invite HAAG into the mix due to their inability to properly identify hail damage as what it is - hail damage.

Were you inticed to go with the company you currently have a “proposal” from because of an offer to pay your deductible?

Some out of state “Storm Chasers” actually do honor their warranties after they have left the state, but…

Bill- I gotta reflect on your last post- you were denied by the Insurance Company and were thinking GAF was the next in line to buy your roof.

My suggestion then was:

TN Bill- IMO your best bet is to choose one of those roofers, or another roofer of your choice that deals with hail damage on a regular basis. In doing so you may get more support from the experienced roofer going at your Insurance Company because at this time not having a Contract, the roofer has no real reason to go to bat for you as you could very well go with anybody once approved and their time wasted.

Sounds like your Out of State Storm Chaser got you bought and man its BS if you don’t go with them, and if you don’t pay them 20% of Contract Price (Overhead and Profit) and let them help someone else.

I’m guessing they provided the Haag Certified Person for free just hoping this guy would eventually sign up with them. LOL

Can anyone here answer any of the questions in my original post?

Thank you.

I have roofed out of state many times.I too have told my customers that realistically I will be gone in a year or so.The difference between my statement and your possible contractor is I secured a local contractor in the event an issue ever arose.

I have always felt that storm work is free enterprise.It may offend some of my peeps here on the forum but it is impossible for local contractors to provide the manpower to clean up a decent storm zone.

My opinion is this,no written warranty,no signature,no itemized estimate,no signature,no confirmed references,no signature,no license,no signature,no permit,no signature,no insurance,no signature,no other local company covering the excess coverage under the workmanship after they are gone,no signature.

I personally know several upstanding storm troopers.These guys will provide you with everything I listed.I am confident in saying that there are many legit stormers.

I have one that taught me all these things I described.Everyone can think what they want but this guy is a 75 million dollar per year stormer.You don’t Make that money by being a crook.

So yes,If the stormer was legit I would hire them,but that is my opinion.

Don’t get caught up in the abbreviation B.S,H.A.A.G is just as goofy as the abbreviations sound.I have rarely met a haag that I felt was very impressive,Think I am joking,Google the requirements to be haag certified,better yet,find out how long it takes to be certified.

Your kind of job isn’t any different than the other multitudes within your community,You are not alone.,.,many share your stress and confusion.I can say that at least you are inquiring about how to enter the situation instead of getting out or worse,figuring how to unscrew yourself.

Sub contractors are a reality of storm work.When handling large volumes of work many contractors sub out work.The question is not if they sub but rather how long the sub has been working for the said contractor.Sometimes contractors get so overloaded they hire new crews.

Once again its not that they sub out or how long they have been sub contracting but IF the contractor actually knows 100% that the crew they are putting on your home does quality work.

I lucked out big time.One of my crews can put on 100 square per day consistently.7 days straight of 700 per week.I worry very little with them.I still worry because if I did not,I would start slipping and that is not happening.

When agreeing to materials,it goes back to the itemized estimate,make sure what you agree on is what is delivered on your roof or if its ground dropped.

Make sure your materials are delivered in manufacture packaging.Don’t accept junk out of the back of a pick up.Missing wrappers are generally a good indication of railroad box car shingles.

Make sure before final payment you have a lien waiver for materials purchased from the supplier.Not doing so will result in you paying for materials twice.If your contractor does not pay for the materials delivered and installed,the shingle distributor WILL put a lien on your property.,.

TN Bill- How did your roof get covered by Insurance after you were originally denied? Did this out of State Contractor have anything/ everything to do with it?

[quote=“TN Bill”]Can anyone here answer any of the questions in my original post?

Thank you.[/quote]

Yeah, plenty can. Personally, I think you signed a contingency contract with the stormchaser and are now trying to get out of your contract. I try not to associate with people who have no integrity so you can answer your own questions dude. Your whole attitude reeks of someone who thinks their entitled and better than everyone else.

I answered your question days ago, go local. If your in the Chattanooga area go with J.D. Helton Roofing, theyve been around for decades.

[quote=“Authentic_Dad”]

[quote=“TN Bill”]Can anyone here answer any of the questions in my original post?

Thank you.[/quote]

Yeah, plenty can. Personally, I think you signed a contingency contract with the stormchaser and are now trying to get out of your contract.[/quote]

Sounds like it…

[quote=“LMB”]

Yeah, plenty can. Personally, I think you signed a contingency contract with the stormchaser and are now trying to get out of your contract.

Sounds like it…[/quote]

Repeat: I have not yet signed a contingency or contract with anyone on this roof job yet.

Thank you.

Using an established local contractor is great for the local economy and for handling future issues. On the other side, there are definitely some reputable storm chasing companies out there as well.

Roofmaster raised some great points about what should be in the contract- local established contractor covering after they leave, and things to confirm; licencing, insurance, ect. before signing.

Bill, I will believe you when you say you’ve neither signed a contingency or a contract.

I think the question to really ask here is how does a Stormchaser compare to a local roofer? The following are generalities that are mostly true but not always:

1. Stormchaser Sales Reps are typically far superior to that employed by local roofers.
  2. Stormchaser prepared for storm, local roofers react to storm.
  3. Stormchaser much better and more skilled in dealing with insurance companies for storm damage claims.
  4. Stormchaser likely larger in yearly revenues (may or may not be important).
  5. Stormchaser will likely vacate the area/territory completely within 6 months to a year.
  6. Stormchaser will likely not have their own crews but will subcontract out, generally to hispanic crews that are mostly illegals. (Very possible some locals do this as well).
  7. If Stormchaser provides any warranty coverage, it will be through a 3rd party local roofing company.

Now if you consider this, it presents an interesting conundrum. One would generally be better off having the Stormchaser for the inspection, estimate preparation and adjuster meeting (note: many Stormchasers will not create an estimate but will work off the insurance estimate possibly supplementing it). Given in most cases, the Stormchaser brings nothing special to the party in terms of actually replacing the roof, it is logical to believe one would find advantage in having the roof replaced with a reputable local roofing company. Given the Stormchaser will be leaving the area, it is logical to believe warranty support would be better from a reputable local company.

Just think about it. Even though the Stormchaser contracts a local company to provide warranty support, just how motivated can that local company be to make that a top priority when called upon to provide service? Their reputation isn’t on the line, the Stormchaser’s reputation is on the line. Let’s say there is a huge rain storm with driving rain that comes through the area. The local company has 15 calls for leaks, 14 from their own Customers, one from the Stormchaser’s. Where do you think the Stormchaser’s Customer will fall in terms of order of priority?

If you indeed have no legal or ethical obligation to the Stormchaser, I am struggling to find any reason for giving the roof replacement contract to anyone other than a reputable local company. Even if the Stormchaser is promising to pay the deductible and the local company isn’t, I still think it makes zero sense to give that work to the Stormchaser. From what you’ve said, your roof is approved NOW. Therefore, the areas where the Stormchaser offers an advantage have been completed, the areas where a local roofer offers an advantage are all in front of you. Easy choice. From reading the bits & pieces of your story, I suspect there is much more to this though which is why you’re asking these questions. It sounds like you feel some kind of moral obligation to work with the Stormchaser (at minimum) and are trying to rationalize a decision. If that is the case, let me add this. Not all Stormchasers are bad. Many are capable of installing a perfectly good roof. Roofing isn’t rocket science. If the roof is put on properly, odds are you’ll never need the workmanship warranty.

hire whoever whenever…as long as you get the lowest price.

seriously. do you THINK its a bad idea to hire someone to do something as important as your roof that lives in another state? and since no one has mentioned it… a year is hardly the length of time that storm chaser will be around. he’ll be off chasing another storm in 2 weeks. and do you think he is going to fly or drive his crew back here to handle a prob for you? Come on man…

wheres your helmet?