Is this a new way to do valley flashing?

I’m used to valley flashing running down and into the drip edge. I’ve also never seen the vertical row of shingles running up both sides of the valley with the regular courses overlapping it. Manufacturer instructions say to run the metal all the way down and to trim the regular shingles at a 45 where they meet the valley (and clip off the top corner).

Is what is shown in the pic a new and acceptable way to do open valleys? Is it up to code?

I’m in Miami-Dade where the answer is an emphatic “NO!” and I don’t think it meets any manufacturer’s specs either. Roofing is regional. I could be wrong, now, but I don’t think so …

1 Like

Running the diagonal row and shingling over them is acceptable and even a manufacturer approved method now (while lots of old school guys still don’t like it). As for the metal I definitely would have gone all the way to the gutters.

2 Likes

I have never done it like that.
But i dont see anything wrong with the mechanics of this.

He weaved the bottom starter shingle and first run of field shingles under the metal.
He didnt need to do that
But this works.

Thanks for the replies. I asked the roofer about the valley and they came back today to replace the lower section and fix some other issues.

How should they be sealing the nail holes and tears in the ice&water barrier?

Edit: I started a new topic about the size of the nail heads: What size nail heads for asphalt shingles?

They “fixed” it. It’s still not what I would’ve expected, but I’m not sure that I want them ripping it out again and putting more tears and nail holes in the ice&water shield.

Tell them to install starters.

It was better in the first picture even though it was kind of sketchy looking. Roof lover had it right, it was mechanically sound but kind of hack work. The “fix” is way worse and now bottom course doesn’t even extend into the gutter. The ugly detail would have worked better than the ‘fix’.

There are no starters, do you think the entire roof was installed sans starters?

There are starter shingles, I believe that’s what the little black triangle exposed at the bottom right of the valley metal is.

But the starters are probably done wrong. Initially, at one corner of the eave and the ridge, there was a gap where the starter on the eave stopped several inches short and the rake starter came all the way down to the eave edge. The “fix” was to nail a short section of starter to the eave which is now on top of the rake starter.

Also, on the rake edges, the shingles are very uneven and sometimes leave a lot of starter exposed. Won’t that just be an invitation for water to run underneath the shingles?

Some of the shingles at the rake edge are only 4" wide (or less) how short is too short for the last shingle of a course?
Startergap

Yes, I now wish they had kept the first valley. When I inquired about it, they were really quick to replace it so I assumed that they also thought it was incorrect - but communication with these guys has been difficult.

When they tore it out, the ice&water got damaged, plus lots of neighboring shingles are torn, unsealed, and mis-nailed. At this point, I’m almost afraid to call them back to fix all their other mistakes.