Is this HAIL damage?

I am not familiar with all the ins and outs of HAIL.Adjuster says its not.Here are the pics.

i dont think so. looks more like giant blistering and install marks. you have alot of granular loss from what i can see. either you have poor ventilation or someone is playing soccer on your roof… and id say it was a combo 20% ventilation 80% foot traffic, careless installers maybe?, its pretty bad… but its not hail.

any other no’s??

sometimes when we are at the end of a big storm, adjusters start to deny claims… but im pretty sure that would have got denied if it was the day after the storm. hail makes a certain mark, and certain places on the shingles are softer than others and tend to take hail hits better than others… its pretty typical for the hail hit to be in the center of the shingle… its not an absolute… but its more common than anywhere else. also adjusters and real roofers go to school to learn what a hail mark looks like. so id trust your adjuster. you can always call for a reinspect, but adjusters are busy and we’d all appreciate someone not wasting their time.

maybe you had Christmas decorations up there that fell? or someone put them up carelessly…? something HIT your roof… is there a tree anywhere around> could be the branches

it is really hard to see hail damage when the granuals are gone too by the way… some of the last pics might have some hits… but i cant tell from a pic. are you in dallas by chance?

not much (if any) of that looks like hail hits to me. a few are questionable, or possible hail hits, but with the rest of the damage, i’d say not… or not enough likely.

[quote=“madrina”] its pretty typical for the hail hit to be in the center of the shingle… its not an absolute…/quote]

Really? Did you get that line of crap from Haag Engineering?[/quote]

Determining questionable hail damage is difficult at best when you are on the roof. Hail damage sometimes has to be discovered by feel as well as sight. Shingles can be bruised without causing the granules to actually leave the shingles. However, when one feels the bruise you discover that the granules will fall off.

It also helps to be able to examine the perimeter of the house as well. Items such as window screens, gutters and downspouts, fascia and air conditioners can give you an indication if there has been hail and which direction it came from.

From your photos alone I would have to concur that it is not hail damage. I am not seeing enough damage on the ridge vents to tell me there would be shingle damage. If, by some chance, it is hail damage, it does not appear to be fresh. But, as I said, it is hard to make a determination without being able to evaluate the entire roof.

You might be better off looking for blown off or creased tabs.

:lol: I have had the Haag class and that is NOT in their manual. He might have seen that in the Farmer’s Insurance Adjuster’s Manual though.

sorry let me correct myself… i concentrate mostly on comp over wood, and where the shingle does not overlap another shingle (what i referred to as the middle )(not including the bottom or edge)., its softer. especially with no decking behind it and the hail, in my experience makes more a more noticeable and distinguishable mark. especially when foot traffic has loosened all the granules on the raised or over lapping areas. (which includes most areas other than the center) :?

I knew i was gonna get it when i posted that comment… i just didnt have time to say what i meant. oh yeah btw HE is a she. :wink:

Only some area damage if you repair this is better for you only 10% invest your hail will be maintain in a few days.

Do you or the homeowner have the date of when the home was hit? I can probably tell you if a storm hit the home if you provide the address and date of loss.

so i showed your pics to a few roofer friends and one said you should call a supervisor and have him come back out. have him buy it because its non repairable. especially if you have interior leaks. its not up to the adjuster to determine whether that is hail, old hail or not hail. you need a engineer to determine that if you disagree. the marks that my friend did say looked like hail, he said they were old hail marks… and if your out of your time frame to file… well, id sit tight til the next storm and then file it but my friend says there’s a lot involved and a lot that is dependent on different things… his advice is to hire a roofer that knows wtf he is doing and let him deal w the insurance company

so just for the record, i was partly wrong maybe. i hope you post the outcome of your situation, im sure many of us might learn something from it.

[quote=“madrina”]so i showed your pics to a few roofer friends and one said you should call a supervisor and have him come back out. have him buy it because its non repairable. especially if you have interior leaks. its not up to the adjuster to determine whether that is hail, old hail or not hail. you need a engineer to determine that if you disagree. the marks that my friend did say looked like hail, he said they were old hail marks… and if your out of your time frame to file… well, id sit tight til the next storm and then file it but my friend says there’s a lot involved and a lot that is dependent on different things… his advice is to hire a roofer that knows wtf he is doing and let him deal w the insurance company

so just for the record, i was partly wrong maybe. i hope you post the outcome of your situation, im sure many of us might learn something from it.[/quote]

Perhaps I’m mistaken but I thought there was legislation/regulation passed in 2008 that eliminated a fix time frame for hail damage. I believe the time frame on the policy is from the date discovered, not from the date inflicted.

Same here AD. Pretty sure its discovery.

oh, and if its not hail, it doesnt matter if its “not repairable”. because if its not storm damage, then they dont pay for it. if its scuff marks from work boots, or whatever, then insurance doesnt cover that.

good luck.

thats what i thought too. i specifically mentioned that to my friend and pointed out to him what I thought was a visible heel mark from a boot, along with the other suspect foot prints and ask him under what law are they obligated to pay for foot traffic? we went round and round about it and his argument was that there probably IS hail damage on that roof, new and old, and with all the granules gone and the homeowner not being ‘trained’ to know how to find the hail marks… it would just take a little more time and effort on the homeowners part. unless he hired a roofer to do it for him.

he has been a roofer for over 20 years and honestly he knows his shit. so i take his word for it. although he doesnt always make himself clear…even i am still scratchin my head over it…but i think what he was saying is that because of the granular loss, to find any new hail hits, it would take a professional… but no matter the marks old or new, if the roof is not repairable, then they have to buy it… he said if you slide a pry bar under a shingle and raise it to a 45 degree angle and it snaps, or if the shingles and underlayment have stuck together from baking in the sun, it qualifies.

and would someone please post the legislation/regulation passed in 2008 that eliminated a fix time frame for hail damage. i would be interested in seeing that and using that in some of my customers defense. i was under the impression they had a certain amount of time from the date of the storm not the date discovered because that could be 3 years later… but i know statefarm goes back like 2 or more years from the date you change policies…?

i have a roof now that was denied by its current carrier and told his hail damage was old hail and he needed to call his old company… then the old company came out and told him he didnt have damage.

any help would be appreciated thanks

they can deny it and call it “old hail” if there has been no significant hail in the time frame since he has had coverage in that house from that company.

for example… major hail storm with 3" diameter hail hits neighborhood in april of 2008, but none reported since then over .5" customer purchases house in 2010, and tries to file a claim in 2011. insurance company comes and sees holes in the shingles from large hail. they say “old hail” because they arent responsible for the loss at the time of that storm.

[quote=“Authentic_Dad”]

… well, id sit tight til the next storm and then file it but my friend says there’s a lot involved and a lot that is dependent on different things… his advice is to hire a roofer that knows wtf he is doing and let him deal w the insurance company

so just for the record, i was partly wrong maybe. i hope you post the outcome of your situation, im sure many of us might learn something from it.

Perhaps I’m mistaken but I thought there was legislation/regulation passed in 2008 that eliminated a fix time frame for hail damage. I believe the time frame on the policy is from the date discovered, not from the date inflicted.[/quote]

I think it’s date of discovery within a time certain from the last storm.

Not hail as far as I can tell from the pictures.