IWS The Whole Roof & 4 vs. 6

I may have just found a great roofer, at a good price—I’m pretty excited.

There were only two things that I need to process:

(1) He wants to Ice/Water Shield the whole roof. Reason: “I like to do the roof in stages, and if I lay IWS over the whole thing, and it rains, I don’t have to fret about tarps and such.” (I initially was had it my mind to insist that the whole roof was IWS, but you guys convinced me it was unnecessary given my conditions. And then I heard a local roofer tell me he doesn’t like to do it because it’s both a pain to remove and can cause improper breathing–thoughts on that would be appreciated.)

(2) He’s willing to storm nail, but generally does 4. “I’m more than willing to do what you want, but if done right, four will hold fine.” He then went on a comfort inducing rant about the critical nature of proper nailing techniques. Anyway, should I have him do 6–I live in a slightly exposed field.

Thanks!!

Well here is what I think.

Tell him you don’t want Ice and Water on the whole roof but rather the normal way of doing it. I only tear off what we can roof on the same day, hopefully he does the same. I also 6 nail every roof just because it separates me from everyone else HOWEVER, using four nails is perfectly fine and will hold better than 6 improperly placed nails.

Thanks for the response. It sounds to me that he’s got a system of doing things, and thus prefers a tear-off and full prep before he starts laying shingles. I’m sure he’d let me push back on that, but is it something I really care about?

Also, do you see any downside with using complete ice and water? (I’ve heard removing it is horrible, and also heard someone argue that it can prevent breathability. …not sure how true that later argument is, but.)

Thanks again!

I wasn’t trying to imply that only tearing off what you can roof the same day is the only way to do things.

The roof should be fine with just felt on it if the weather conditions are favorable.

My problem with IW on the whole roof is that it traps moisture in the plywood which will eventually rot out. I have torn off two roofs with full IW coverage and both needed full re-decks afterward. Another issue is cost. The IW I use is 30 dollars a roll more then the felt I use.

Remember, just 20 years ago IW was uncommon and thousands of roofs for thousands of years before that got done without any problems.

if a house is properly ventilated i dont see a problem with I&W on whole roof other then being a PITA to tear off in future.

If by PITA you mean impossible, then I agree. There is no need to ice shield the whole house.
As far as the 6 nail goes, what is the pitch of your roof?

5:12 at the most.

You are not kidding. Grace ice and water is the kiss of death. Only put it where you really need it. Many roofers over do this product and it causes rot if installed improperly in low vented areas.

If it is 5/12 I say 6 nail ok. Any less than that and I would advise against it.

:slight_smile:

I am not going to ruin my customers homes any further. I am NOT going to continue to follow some of these manufactuers instructions. I have seen first hand on multiple occasions the detriment of this material installed as specified. Decking flat, Ice and water shield installed perfectly flat and then large vertical wrinkles formed long after the roof was complete. Yes, ventilation was perfect and it seems no amount of ventilation would be enough. Have any of you seen these LONG, straight vertical wrinkles?

This is the way i am doing it now whenever possible… If the decking is nailed properly and i am not required to renail the decking and it is under a 4/12… Then i am Not removing the felt and i am installing Ice/water sheild OVER the felt AND installing simplex/cap nails . Now i am getting the best of both worlds. The roofing nail is now getting sealed under the shingle and the roof is now removable.

Also, the more cuts and laps in the ice/water shield the better it is.
Long continual runs with zero cuts and laps is BAD.

Roof lover, I know some that don’t even remove the plastic.

I can tell everybody here that the ventilation and total sealing of homes is still in it’s infantcy.
The learning curve will continue for several more years. :roll:
Not to mention the learning curve of using water resistant roof materials. :lol:

Stepping up and thinking outside the box will be the norm before you know it.

if a house is properly ventilated i dont see a problem with I&W on whole roof other then being a PITA to tear off in future.

Well here is what I think.

Tell him you don’t want Ice and Water on the whole roof but rather the normal way of doing it. I only tear off what we can roof on the same day, hopefully he does the same. I also 6 nail every roof just because