Lattervader?

my question is what are the benefits or disadvantages of lattervaders? i’m not even sure how to spell it. our company mainly deals with residential shingle roofs. at first glance it would seem a no-brainer to have a machine lift all the bundles, but if it as efficient as it would seem it should be, then why would i not see every possible outfit, from the largest down to side job bob, operating with one of these lifts?

We get all our material delivered to the roof,cost a little extra but well worth it.

we have all our material on site, my question is specifically using a lattervader to get the bundles up on the roof, as opposed to a laborer carrying them up a latter.

With the recent price increase in deliveries and materials we were considering buying one of these as well. I have seen older models but am more interested in seeing a new one operate. Ground drops are much cheaper than roof tops. Most suppliers in my area have raised thier delivery charges. I also seen where GAF is going to charge the supplier a $100.00 fuel surcharge instead of the $50.00 charge per load. I don’t use GAF very often but I’m sure the others will folllow suit.

I have a 28 footer with the regular carriage and a gravcel hopper for sale. It was only used 8 times and is in excellent condition. Its the 400 pond model. A grand takes it.

I also have wheel barrows, some garbage chute, two kettles with all accessories, a lugger, hot buckets, a mop cart etc, two roof cutters, a couple of compressors, some nail guns, a couple of stand-up screwguns, saws,drills, etc, and various tools and supplies.

20 K takes it all. If you can’t make money with this stuff, you dont know how to roof.

Why are you getting rid of your stuff Aaron,is it because you don’t do tar and gravel anymore?Just wondering because not to many companies out my way have done tar and gravel in many years…

my question is what are the benefits or disadvantages of lattervaders?

advantage:
loads heavy items up to the roofline.
can be nice if you have a small work force.

disadvantage:
expensive
no gasoline = no worky
pain in the ass to transport/store/assemble/drag up to the roof.
still need a laborer to carry bundles over and toss them on the lift, then send it up.
better hope your guys remember to put oil in it…
they are loud

Personaly I have always hated them, for many reasons but I know people that love them too. OSHA compliance require you to not carry anything up or down a ladder so I suppose the OSHA desk jockeys love them.

** i’m not even sure how to spell it.**

Ladder has two D’s not T’s.

our company mainly deals with residential shingle roofs.

I wouldn’t bother then, or maybe you can rent one to try it out. I’ve worked on all sorts of steep crews and rarely was I happy to have a ladder-vator, more often they are more trouble than they are worth. I grew up roofing without laborers and had to carry my own materials and I’d still rather not have one of those things. Just my opinion though, as I said, I know people that love them.

i love the one i have. but it is only good for some jobs not all of them.

I am selling all of my equipment because I am no longer in need of it. I will keep some propane tanks and torches and EPDM repair rools, but I am not tearing off anymore.

I do polyurea and repairs exclusively these days.

It’s all good working equipment.

Shingle Hoist

My crew keeps one. Of course we pick up all of our shingles at the supplier and take them to the jobsite. On 1 story houses its almost as easy to just hand them up or carry them up the ladder.

The 2 story and up jobs are the ones that the shingle hoist pays for itself.

Big Rock Supply has a 200lb unit for 1300 new (including shipping). I have 2 of these, and they work pretty good.

We have our material roof-top delivered. We include the vendor charge in our bid. It works well for us. We also are moving away from hot tar and gravel, and getting into flat roof membrane heat weld systems. Its cleaner, better looking, and has a limited life time warranty. Just my two cents!

We can use our brain, not braun or bucks, to hoist bundles to the roof.
Here is a Roof Shingle House - Ladder Lift
that you can make yourself, for about $35 of wood and wheels.
http://FairfieldIowaHouse.com/roof/hoist

Try and explain that wc claim to your insurance . Company

1 Like

Wow, a record. A 10yr old post bump.

2 Likes

Introduction

Hoisting from the top of the ladder

Or, hoisting from the bottom

That looks like an OSHA fine waiting to happen

2 Likes

My hoist ran $3000 new in 2004(bought by my dad, I was 16),i cant imagine Jerry rigging something like that. Even factory hoists are very dangerous

1 Like

Please explain how standing at the bottom, or sitting at the top, pulling a rope and watching the shingles go up the ladder. is more dangerous than carrying them up.

I said nothing about “danger” just that that contraption will get you a fine from OSHA,

LADDERVATOR as opposed to elevator
Someone is carrying bundles up a ladder ? WHERE I need a picture to show my crews the way it was way back then.
No one has carried a bundle up a ladder here in 20 years.
And now is not allowed by OSHA (no way)
Two hands on the ladder son always.

1 Like