Lead Welding / Braising

Hi,

I am an amature looking to join lead together by means of welding. Can anyone please let me know what the best method & tools are to use to carry this task out, bearing in mind i only wanna spend a few pounds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Honest Pete :mrgreen:

im from st pete,
i thought your user name was
hone st pete.
so i thought you were from my hometown.
oh well.
dont know much about solderin lead.
but i will put your post back on top.
someone will help.

gweedo

If you are only interested in spending a few pounds (don’t know the conversion rate to usd), then it sounds like you don’t want to invest in the equipment you need to successfully solder together whatever it is you are trying to join. Therefore, I would recommend that you contact a sheet metal company, and have them solder together the pieces of lead you are trying to join. It would be even easier and cheaper if you take it to their shop.

Lead welding is quite different from soldering and practiced mostly in the UK and Europe.

honestpete would need to find a bloke in his neck of the woods for more information.

[quote=“dennis”]Lead welding is quite different from soldering and practiced mostly in the UK and Europe.

honestpete would need to find a bloke in his neck of the woods for more information.[/quote]

Wow! You aren’t kidding Dennis. I wouldn’t think of applying heat to somethin so soft and expecting a consistent bond… but, England is our grandfathers, so I have to respect it to some degree. Can this really be done?

Hi, Yes you can solder lead,on the pics Dennis had put on(resoldered lead flashing) I cut the flange off of the lead flashing,cut the stack and flange to fit the pitch of the roof with the stack going thru the flange with 1/2" tabs that were folded up against the bottom of flange ,then used stay clean flux paste and acid core or 50/50 solder from a 1lb roll(small diameter) and an acetelyne soldering torch set very low you have to move fast and light or you well melt a hole thru the lead ,have done this at times when the pitch of the roof is greater than what the lead flashing will adjust to,also be sure to wipe the joint clean with soap and water ect. to remove residue of flux and solder…you can also make pipe flashings out of copper to fit…I think plumbers do alot of the welding(soldering) of lead roof flashings in England ? Should be able to find someone in his area to get some advice from… Ron, Slateworks

Hi, Yes you can solder lead,on the pics Dennis had put on(resoldered lead flashing) I cut the flange off of the lead flashing,cut the stack and flange to fit the pitch of the roof with the stack going thru the flange with 1/2" tabs that were folded up against the bottom of flange ,then used stay clean flux paste and acid core or 50/50 solder from a 1lb roll(small diameter) and an acetelyne soldering torch set very low you have to move fast and light or you well melt a hole thru the lead ,have done this at times when the pitch of the roof is greater than what the lead flashing will adjust to,also be sure to wipe the joint clean with soap and water ect. to remove residue of flux and solder…you can also make pipe flashings out of copper to fit…I think plumbers do alot of the welding(soldering) of lead roof flashings in England ? Should be able to find someone in his area to get some advice from… Ron, Slateworks