Lead welding

Hi i’m new to this so stick with me
i have a lead gully to lay about 10m and need it lead welding does any body know who i could get to do this.I know it use to be plumbers but have exhausted that route with no luck.
Thanks

Hi pmdaniel,

We don’t do much lead work here in the states. I do a little with lead stack flashings and such, but not much.

You would have better luck posting in this UK forum:

diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=17

[quote=“pmdaniel”]Hi i’m new to this so stick with me
i have a lead gully to lay about 10m and need it lead welding does any body know who i could get to do this.I know it use to be plumbers but have exhausted that route with no luck.
Thanks[/quote]

Furthermore, here in the states we “solder” lead. You just need to find someone who knows how to solder and properly sweat the joints. I would look either for a plumber as you said, or a sheet-metal contractor.

Hi pmdaniel,

In the northeast such components are seen made of soldered copper. Perhaps a coppersmith could help.

hi buddy

i don’t know if you are in england or the usa , lead is more commonly used in the uk as copper is in the states .

lead plumbers or any good roofing contractor will be able to help you in the uk and carry out a replacement or any repair .

lead welding is a very specialized repair and can only really be done with a oxygen and acetylene welding kit . if you are just try repair a split a patch can be welded over the split to make water tight .

should you need any other information please do hesitate to contact me .

regards john

Lead can be solderd with a somwhat cool iron. low heat compared to copper. 50/50 solder. the old time cornice men used to call it lead wiping. There was a knack to that but if I have to do it I would use a soldering iron with low heat.

Just to be clear, lead “welding” and lead (or any) soldering is not the same thing.

This is a picture of a lead roof soil stack flashing. The base has been soldered with 50/50 tin/lead solder, the tube has been lead “welded” with lead along the butt seam.
Lead welding takes some practice to get right. As you can see, I need more practice. :slight_smile:

%between%http://roofingcontractorreview.com/gallery/d/608-5/lead+welded+seam.jpg

Looks nice Dennis. As a proponent of Murphy’s Law, I put the seam to which ever side shows the least, and I’ll lap it, though it isn’t necessary, ‘Just in case’.

Friggin Dennis… ALWAYS showing the rest of us up. :slight_smile:

Taking it to the hoop, brother! Nice work!