Leaking flat roof

[quote=“bu11d09”]…"

Are you aware that Astec, as well as other 100% acrylic polymer coatings are being specified in ponding applications by roof consultants all across the country with great success?

The evidence of what you say here is in writing and should be completely accurate, so as not to leave you open to litigation. An opinion is one thing, but you sound like you are stating facts. I will look for the facts I asked above. Have a good day.[/quote]

What you are saying is not “completely” accurate. If ponding is an issue a roof consultant would not spec any acrylic anything to treat it. We would (and rightly so) try to eleviate the ponding prior to the application of an acrylic (unless of course the manufacturer specifically states that the ponding is not an issue). and as long as we are being honest… Are you playing the obscure coating card on paper but you are a roof in your sales pitch? Do you have an application directly over a non treated substrate like plywood or ridgid insulation? What does your warranty say about ponding or slopes less than 1/4 per foot ? Lets get this in writing now… in case we have to get litigious.

oh,
misinformed on the latest technologies
god i hope that never happens to me.

gweedo.

ditto,im just learnin how to use one of those new fangled rewindin tape measures.

boss where can i get me one of those???

love it.
gweedo.

Anybody with “waterproofing consultant” as a title is sure to know his stuff !!! I’m sure he know waterproofing !!

that is the closest i have come to getting a compliment on this site. I was about to give up. Thanks Timothy ( i think)

Sam dont give up! Every once and a while someone will complement you. Its not often but it does happen. See i know nothing about flat roofs so you have 1 up on me right now. Im glad to see new people that know what they are doing on this site. Its refreshing. We have had our band of people that dont know squat so welcome.

BUR may not be a “value” roof to samskii, but it is the most tried and true roof around. That is not to say there aren’t other options, but don’t discount a good BUR.

I know about flat roofs but hate to install them. Flat=trouble in my book !!

Actually, in my book:

Flat = Coal-tar pitch

Low-Sloped = Asphalt BUR, Modified bitumen, or a select few single-ply membranes.

[quote=“Cerberus”]

BUR may not be a “value” roof to samskii, but it is the most tried and true roof around. That is not to say there aren’t other options, but don’t discount a good BUR.[/quote]

I would never discount a “good BUR” there just arent many out here. 90% of the roofs I inspect are BUR and are failing or have failed. Rather than go back to my clients with similar materials and a better spec, I suggest alternatives that have benefits beyond waterproofing.

The companies that do high quality BUR work have as much as they can handle. The firms that perfer to specify these types roofs do so without considering any other options.

There are enough guys that believe in the old tried and true, the asphalt roofing industry doesnt need my help making sure they are keeping the lions share of the market.

I perfer to suggest and specify alternative solutions that are sustainable and less prone to human error whether it be inexperience, lack of integrity or just plain ol laziness. :smiley:

In case you were wondering where im comin’ from. :smiley:

Its is like anything else, so I have to refuse to accept that line of thinking…human error is prevelant in any system. Name a system, and I know of failures in said system.

Skill and integrity are all you need. Too bad most do not like to pay for the skill, nor the integrity to have a proper roof installed, so they go with the outfit that will install it “just good enough” to get the check and the brakelight warranty. Bad decisions…

Anywhoo, a base and 3 with ballast will last about 35 years here if properly constructed, and then flashings will have to be repalced. Smooth, not as long, unless it is coated and properly maintained.

Human error is present… but not prevalent in every system.

It keeps me busy though. and all of us for that matter!

Laziness on the other hand is deliberate and therefore not error.

tapered iso for better drainage,smooth app(don`t let it turn green=too much)then fibered aluminum roof coating w/maintenance contract-a lot of roofs in n.y.city are perpetually maintained rather than removed

what`s this talk of polyurea :stuck_out_tongue:

Aluminum coatings are crap. They cook the roof out in a year. Like a foil wrapped potato.

here in new york,i have never seen that cowboy,but things are different in different areas for a reason

well with the cool roof thing sweeping the west we wont be seeing many new aluminum coatings. They absorb too much heat and yes it does cook the oils out of the capsheets and other mods. I can see it working well in wetter climates. Cowboy work in some pretty dry country

Sam, name a system, I have made repairs to most of them, and they are nearly all human error issues.

Aluminum cooking the modified? That’s ridiculous. We arent talking heat energy on a rooftop as muich as we are talking light energy before it becomes heat energy. The baked potato theory…that is acting as a heat sink (absorbing heat energy and holding it) and not the same as reflecting light energy. Some of you folks will say ANYTHING to sell a product, samskii.