Leaky valley

Hello,

I have a valley that leaks in heavy rain. I don’t have the time and the money to rip it all out now. Is here a sealer and/or fabric combination that I could put over the top to stop this leak for a while?

Thanks,

David

Nobody makes anything like that. Are the shingle tops clipped?

There are some valley situations where there is something visibly out of place… possibly a quicker fix or less-expensive than you might think (as opposed to replacing the entire valley).

Example: I looked at a 15’ valley leak today and we can easily repair with 6-8 shingles… as opposed to replacing the entire valley. It was clear that a small limb had fell into the valley.

Have you looked in the attic to see if you can transfer the leak location up onto the roof? Is the leak close to the top or bottom of the valley? How long is the valley? Open or weaved?

If your in a super pinch, you can always consider a tarp over the entire area.

I have repaired a couple valleys where the homeowner dumped a bucket of tar in the valley on a hot day and mopped it down the entire valley. He said it gave him a few months of no leaks.

That’s not my “fix” for your house, just what I saw a HO do once.

maan…what a good suggestion… :roll:

yes but it is better to replace the valley correctly

The problem is that once I start taking shingles off…there’s no stopping. My house is about 160 years old (in this section) and previous explorations show that there’s five layers of shingles - three asphalt and then two shake. Underneath that is planking. So I’d need to take it all the way down and put 1/2" plywood on top of the planking.

I’ll probably do it this fall when it is cooler.

Thanks for the ideas.

So, what is causing it to leak? Uncut tops? Holes? Or possibly a missing shingle up the roof is making it look like the valley is leaking?

What you really mean to say is “I don’t have anything whatsoever to contribute to the topic so I’m going to insult someone else for trying to help” :mrgreen:

At least you’re consistent kage… :?

[quote=“bcdemon”]

What you really mean to say is “I don’t have anything whatsoever to contribute to the topic so I’m going to insult someone else for trying to help” :mrgreen:

At least you’re consistent kage… :?[/quote]

not at all…its just your useless chit you always write…dump tar down the valley…R YA KIDDING!!!..why even say anything??

[quote=“kage”]

At least you’re consistent kage… :?
not at all…its just your useless chit you always write…dump tar down the valley…R YA KIDDING!!!..why even say anything??[/quote]

Kage, it’s a diy homeowner fix he said so.
It does work in a pinch, we have all seen it numerous times.

You too eh Ax? I would NOT tell a HO to do crap like that, I guess you guys would… have i seen it?..yes…f’n hacks…if anything throw a tarp on until you can fix it PROPERLY!! if HO cant fix…then call a roofer…

Me too what?

You pick on bcdemon every chance you get.

[quote="-Axiom-"]

You pick on bcdemon every chance you get.[/quote]

so f’n what…whats it to you…and how is it pickin on him? you agree, tell H/O’s to do chit stuff like that? or are you just his big brother?

Actually kage, due to your complete lack of English comprehension skills you completely missed that NOBODY, including me told the HO to pour tar into his valley.

In fact, I even said, and I quote “That’s not my “fix” for your house”.
I was going to ponder how one could miss that, then I realized, it’s kage.

[quote=“bcdemon”]

Actually kage, due to your complete lack of English comprehension skills you completely missed that NOBODY, including me told the HO to pour tar into his valley.

In fact, I even said, and I quote “That’s not my “fix” for your house”.
I was going to ponder how one could miss that, then I realized, it’s kage.[/quote]

Coming from anybody else…I would believe that…coming from you…BS…you seem to have endless crap ideas that are always somebody elses ideas…according to you…like roofing over bowed sheathing… :lol:

the invention of fire was a great leap.

:lol:

To…Homeowner!!!

How old is the roof? What is the pitch/Slope? What type of shingles? What is above each roofing area that drains in this valley? Chimney? Whatever.

Do not create a new issue by tar/mastic, etc.

If you asked the question, you clearly cannot do the tar, anything fix in this area as experience is lacking and there will be new issues.

[quote=“rickengie”]To…Homeowner!!!

How old is the roof? What is the pitch/Slope? What type of shingles? What is above each roofing area that drains in this valley? Chimney? Whatever.

Do not create a new issue by tar/mastic, etc.

If you asked the question, you clearly cannot do the tar, anything fix in this area as experience is lacking and there will be new issues.[/quote]

you should really read original post… :roll: