Learn the ropes

Is there anywhere I can attend a course that will get my feet wet in working the admin part of the roof sales business?

Or would working at a place first be the best bet?

I am looking to learn all the office duties and nothing really on-site.

Thank You

Are you a roofer currently and just want to be a salesmen or do you want to run a roofing company?

Sal

you gotta work the ropes & climb the ladder. get a job as a jr. estimator first & then go from there.

DirtySal is on top of the questions - the answers might be kind of easy but we have to first further define the question.

[quote=“dirtysal”]Are you a roofer currently and just want to be a salesmen or do you want to run a roofing company?

Sal[/quote]

Sal,

Honestly, I have no experience in that actual roofing business.

I have owned many retail stores and have sold them since, and I do realize that this business may be different, I feel that I have enough knowledge of the business side of things, and have partnered up with someone who has a few years of successful sales work.

We are looking to be just a roofing sales company and sub out all of the work.

I am looking to learn more on the admin side of the business as I already know what it entails to be licensed and all the necessary steps to become legit.

It is the day to day process/function of the office side. Sales staff will be trained and all have some experience already, and we will have an in house certified adjuster to attend all adjustments then work slowly up to 2 and so on.

Thank you all for the responses. Happy New Year.

My two cents-
Research your subs carefully and pay them accordingly. You can wind up with a lot of trouble running your business this way. If you do your homework however, you can make it work. Get yourself a copy of the certainteed “master shingle applicator” handbook. It is a very good and fairly complete guide to roofing. It will give you ideas of what questions you should be asking your subs.

And if I have one more “roofer” whose been “roofing” for ten years ask me why I don’t nail my 3 tabs in the tarline I"m going to scream. Does anyone read the shingle wrapper?

Sounds to me like you should become an office manager for an established co. for @ least a year & then either try to branch off on your own or buy out the company.

I agree with the others who have posted.

Shangle - Amazing how many guys insist that nailing the tar line is the right way. And, To answer your question, no one does read the wrapper.

[quote=“BAMBAMM5144”]I agree with the others who have posted.

Shangle - Amazing how many guys insist that nailing the tar line is the right way. And, To answer your question, no one does read the wrapper.[/quote]

I can’t read spanish

lol. You got me there.

[quote=“selfemployedslave”]

[quote=“BAMBAMM5144”]I agree with the others who have posted.

Shangle - Amazing how many guys insist that nailing the tar line is the right way. And, To answer your question, no one does read the wrapper.[/quote]

I can’t read spanish[/quote]

Ses., turn the bundle over,lol :wink:

Que?

Yo soy un Shingelero?

Que?

[quote=“jwoolfsroofing”]

I can’t read spanish
Ses., turn the bundle over,lol :wink:[/quote]

I turned the bundle over but everything is upside down.

??

Your guys can read Spanish anyway why worry.