Little old lady

Getting roof done because of several leaks on a roof put on 2003! First started with estimates from friends & neighbors, none were on Better Business Bureau, they gave me poor presentations as quotes, and high prices. Then after searching BBB I found 2 better known roofers, but now have a problem deciding. I need a chimney cap (rust). First roofer is A+ no complaints (36 mos) family owned (son) offered good advice did not pressure me, about $1000 higher, he noticed more & back yard entrance difficult to dispose of debri, will not replace cap. Second roofer is rated A w/2 complaints (1 resolved 1 no response) he was more of a ‘salesman’ $1000 less, he wants to fabricate chimney cap for add’l $600. Both offer 30 yr architect. shingles. More aggressive
Any suggestions or questions I should ask?

I would rather have a roofer install my roof than have a salesman find someone to install my roof for me.

The salesman probably knows somebody that used to work for a roofing company though.

Hi,

Where are you located?

Helping a 80 Year Old Roofing Customer - David Deschaine helped a 80 year old widow with her new roof, Mrs Guthrie call and said she needed a new roof, with only enough money to buy some of the materials we helped Gloria during these tough times…
CHECK THIS OUT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9_dG-WNy2M

Great Job Dave Deschaine!!

Have you had your roof inspected by a competent contractor? If it was installed in 2003 it may be repairable. Were the several leaks in one general area or throughout the roof?

The ‘salesman’ was owner of a roofing company, by sales I meant quite aggressive yet charming, Several contractors have looked at the home, the 2 ‘real’ roofers said it could be repaired, but all …all agreed it was poor workmanship, and with a big leak at roof and another at a dormer in front of home, I decided it was better to start all over. I thought about having original roofer back, but decided if he did poor work, why would I want him back. Don’t know if I want a BBB roofer putting up the chimney cap, do you all do that normally? I thought I should use a chimney expert.

South Carolina

[quote=“Roofer_Man”]Helping a 80 Year Old Roofing Customer - David Deschaine helped a 80 year old widow with her new roof, Mrs Guthrie call and said she needed a new roof, with only enough money to buy some of the materials we helped Gloria during these tough times…
CHECK THIS OUT:

Great Job Dave Deschaine!![/quote]

ya hear that? south carolina! thats not too far away, is it???

this nice old lady needs a free roof too!

[quote=“Agape”]

• David Deschaine helped a 80 year old widow with her new roof, Mrs Guthrie call and said she needed a new roof, with only enough money to buy some of the materials we helped Gloria during these tough times…
    CHECK THIS OUT:

Great Job Dave Deschaine!!

ya hear that? south carolina! thats not too far away, is it???

this nice old lady needs a free roof too![/quote]

No disrespect meant to anyone, but,

LMFAO@Agape…
Thanks

we put on new chimney caps quite often, your roofer should be able to do it with no problem

you want to get your cap down with roof.
tell cap installer, “dont be puttin up no cap thats just gonna rust out again”. no you dont want to paint
it neither.
600 should get you copper or stainless steel.

gweedo

watch out for those lil ole ladies, especially if chinese. probably has millions in her mattress! ive been conned by a few, dont let them fool ya. they been around a long time & know a few tricks. no senior discount here.

Little Old Lady,

In my opinion, the BBB isn’t a good source for anything… The BBB only requires a fee to become accredited. I am 26 years Old and have been in this business for 7 years total and every 6 months I’m contacted by the BBB trying to “sell” me a package. There are no requirements or guidelines that seperate the Roofing Contractor from the jack of all trades.
Go with your gut…

As for the chimney cap, yes any legitimate roofing contractor will know what they are doing and would be happy to install a new one, also as stated above- for $600 it should by all means be copper or SS…

Good Luck

Im surprised at the pricing been thrown around without a description of what this cap looks like,i for one would charge more then that because of my overhead required to operate here.$I have to operate at a profit,taxs, insurance,payroll liabiltys whats left ?

How do you figure a Copper or Stainless chimney cap should only cost around $600?

It is gonna be pretty close or more than that for material alone…

$600 for a new galvanized cap is a smoking good deal, if done right…

[quote=“-Axiom-”]How do you figure a Copper or Stainless chimney cap should only cost around $600?

It is gonna be pretty close or more than that for material alone…

$600 for a new galvanized cap is a smoking good deal, if done right…[/quote]

because its gweedo, and he is all knowing!! :wink:

My cost on 36" x 48" copper cap is $325…

Galvanized is only $150 on avg.

i agree w/ ax. if i fab a copper cap its going to be $2000 easy. you gotta figure measureing, fab time, install & etc. its not gonna be some homo special from homo depot.